Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stone age architects/engineers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stone age architects/engineers

    We got to start the rough on a job today thats been on hold for 2 months,2 story addition to a 5 story medical re-hab building w/remodel work in the 5 story bldg..The architect/engineers require all W+V to be done in SV C.I. with poured lead joints or type L copper w/DWV fittings and SWT joints(no Propress,no hub or plastic allowed),the village it's in allows PVC below and above grade,but we can't use it.The 5 story bldg. will be doing it's normal day to day activities during construction(this means there will be lead pots running inside the bldg. while people are being treated).We burn up about 200# of lead,40 lb. of propane and 5 bags of oakum every 2 days.It's good that we have large apprentices w/having lots of C.I. pipe and fittings to haul up the stairs,my 56 year old legs get tired(no elevator usage allowed) .

    Anybody familiar with kidney dialisys stations(I never have dealt with them before),the addition has 8 ( the 5 story bldg. has them all going to XH C.I. or galv. thats in poor condition) and they all will waste to either type L copper or SV C.I. pipe,isn't the waste very corrosive needing an acid resistant pipe?
    Last edited by leakfree; 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM.
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

  • #2
    Re: Stone age architects/engineers

    Only help I can be...If memory serves me correct, you are only allowed 1 pound of propane inside a public occupied building. You may want to check your jurisdiction.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Stone age architects/engineers

      Not where we are at,we'll be using 20#er's.All approved by the village and the Fire dept..
      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Stone age architects/engineers

        We have 2 dialysis offices here.. all the water was in copper
        But the drains were all pvc

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Stone age architects/engineers

          Sounds like a fun job. Till this day I rather install CI with poured lead joints instead of using the push gaskets or no hub crap.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Stone age architects/engineers

            Originally posted by leakfree View Post
            We got to start the rough on a job today thats been on hold for 2 months,2 story addition to a 5 story medical re-hab building w/remodel work in the 5 story bldg..The architect/engineers require all W+V to be done in SV C.I. with poured lead joints or type L copper w/DWV fittings and SWT joints(no Propress,no hub or plastic allowed),the village it's in allows PVC below and above grade,but we can't use it.The 5 story bldg. will be doing it's normal day to day activities during construction(this means there will be lead pots running inside the bldg. while people are being treated).We burn up about 200# of lead,40 lb. of propane and 5 bags of oakum every 2 days.It's good that we have large apprentices w/having lots of C.I. pipe and fittings to haul up the stairs,my 56 year old legs get tired(no elevator usage allowed) .

            Anybody familiar with kidney dialisys stations(I never have dealt with them before),the addition has 8 ( the 5 story bldg. has them all going to XH C.I. or galv. thats in poor condition) and they all will waste to either type L copper or SV C.I. pipe,isn't the waste very corrosive needing an acid resistant pipe?
            If dialysis pulls the same chemicals out of the body as the kidneys then you're getting uric acid. In Minnesota you can't use copper on a urinal waste line.

            Good luck with the rough in air test.
            Time flies like an arrow.

            Fruit flies like a banana.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Stone age architects/engineers

              Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              If dialysis pulls the same chemicals out of the body as the kidneys then you're getting uric acid. In Minnesota you can't use copper on a urinal waste line.

              Good luck with the rough in air test.
              If a test was required I'd be doing it with water not air(which we may still do),but no test required in Niles only a visual inspection by a retired local 130 plumber/inspector,nice old guy stops by to chat now and then.
              Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Stone age architects/engineers

                Depending on the Village. it's glass or plastic pipe ''acid waste'' what kind of dialysis machine is it ?
                is the brake tank built in or are you putting r p z's on the waters ? call the local or state inspectors.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Stone age architects/engineers

                  Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Sounds like a fun job. Till this day I rather install CI with poured lead joints instead of using the push gaskets or no hub crap.
                  SewerRatz: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only that likes pack and pour; of course I like the Durham system for wast and vents also, must be something I was smoking

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Stone age architects/engineers

                    We don't have much info on the machine yet,only a cut sheet on the wall box at the stations.It's only our job to supply make up water to the equipment room and the waste lines at the stations,somebody else is doing the RO and CS lines to and from the box and the equipment room.
                    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Stone age architects/engineers

                      we are currently doin a remodel on the old radiology unit at a hospital in western colorado. using all propress fittings and cast iron no hub. gas lines larger than two inch are all weld pipe. funny thing is i just left workin at an addition to the college here and all of the gas lines 1/2" and up had to be welded. i'd never heard of that. maybe on an industrial job or for high pressure, steam or what not. but never on a commercial job.

                      last year we piped the vents on nine of our gas regs with type L copper in an attic as per spec. i'm talkiin about 300ft of 1'2" copper. fire marshall came through and wanted it all changed to black iron. i'm not sure who ended up footing the bill for that one but i kind of doubt it was the general contractor.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X