X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Lead Brasscraft Angle Stop Problems

All the new "No Lead" compression Brasscraft angle stops were pulled from the shelves at my local wholesale house this past week. The manager informed me that I should return any that I still had (which I have done).

He explained that there have been issues with these leaking for 2 reasons.

1. New "No Lead" brass ferules are too stiff - not malleable enough to seat properly and make a water tight joint connection.

2. Issue with water leaking out from stem handle on the 1/4 turn varieties.

I personally have not had any problems with #2, but definitely #1 on the new ones.

I actually got a couple call backs for leaky angle stops since the new "No Lead" ones came out, which is something that I have never gotten a call back on before. I also witnessed three leaking during the installation process and had to swap them out on the spot.

Called up Camille at Brasscraft to ask her what was going on and got the run around. She wouldn't even acknowledge that there was a problem and told me she had never heard of this before.

If you don't know me, I assure you I am very polite and non-accusative on these matters - just want to get the real information.

I told her I wasn't asking if there was a problem, but wanted to know when the new corrected angle stops would be available since my wholesale house wasn't selling Brasscraft ones at moment. (DUH!!!) She answered me without officially answering me.

Anyway, the corrected angle stops are supposed to be available any day now.
    They shipped out to Ferguson's main distribution center on the 9th. Don't know if Home Depot, Lowes, Hirsch, etc., pulled their stock - just know Ferguson did. I imagine this only affects the states that carry the new "No Lead" Brasscraft angle stops.

I am afraid to admit that Brasscraft has dropped the ball.........again.

I have since picked up some Dahl brand ones and am looking forward to trying them out.
    Last edited by Dakota; 06-15-2010, 10:51 PM.

Re: No Lead Brasscraft Angle Stop Problems

thanks for the info

Comment

good choice on dahls let us know wat u think.

Comment

thanks for the heads up.

the no lead ones i have so far have not been an issue. i think all the ones i've installed so far have been just replacements and i've reused the nut and ferrule.

is there a code date or can we assume everything they made so far is bad

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I installed 6 1/4 turn Brasscraft stops recently. How do you know which ones are the no lead variety? I didn't notice anything on the packaging stating the ones I purchased were no lead. At least it didn't jump out at me.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
            I installed 6 1/4 turn Brasscraft stops recently. How do you know which ones are the no lead variety? I didn't notice anything on the packaging stating the ones I purchased were no lead. At least it didn't jump out at me.

James
            If you bought it in California or Vermont after January 1st, it is low lead. There was no grace period to sell old stock, and there was a vigorous enforcement campaign to ensure stores were only selling the new stuff.

I felt the new ferrule was overkill, because how much surface area of the ferrule is exposed to the water???

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              thanks for the heads up.

the no lead ones i have so far have not been an issue. i think all the ones i've installed so far have been just replacements and i've reused the nut and ferrule.

is there a code date or can we assume everything they made so far is bad

rick.
              Using the old nuts and ferules probably saved you some grief given the issues with the new ferules.

I took pictures of a pre-"No Lead" angle stop to show the markings and of a "No Lead" one. You will see the letters NL on the side of the "No Lead" one.

Regarding the date code, as soon as Ferguson gets in the corrected Brasscraft "No Lead" angle stops, I will post the information in this thread. Any "No Lead" ones prior to this will be considered part of the recall.
              Attached Files

Comment

just the enlarged open verison of dakotas post

old version with lead.

new version with no lead. notice the "NL"

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Update on the angle stop issue:

I found out that the specific problem with leaks out of the stem on the "No Lead" Brasscraft angle stops only have to do with a 2 day run of them from the manufacturing plant. For only 2 days worth of production on the KT series No Lead 1/4 turn angle stops there was an issue that caused the double o-rings to be damaged on the handle stems when they were inserted into the body of the angle stop in manufacturing. If you installed one it would leak right away and be obvious I have been told.

I am still trying to get more specifics on the issue with the brass ferules.

Comment

Working...
                  X