X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left behind

Am I the only one who has a tendency of leaving stuff / tools or whatever in customers houses. Today I noticed a drop light missing, last week it was sewer gloves. Maybe I should start an on line lost and found. Just a little curious as to what weird stuff some of the others on this forum have "Left behind".

Re: left behind

Yes I have left tools behind previously,
    The tools that you left behind are the same tools that you need first at the next job.
    I have gone to painting my tools in fluro paint so that they stand out.

Simon

Comment

I do not have a tendency to leave tools behind because i double and triple

check behind myself !

though it does happen sometimes i also paint my tools royal blue

to tell apart from other trades people as well as at a customers house,

mostly when i have a helper working with me !
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I double & triple check too, & still do it. And it still pi$$es me off when I do. I have every tool I own, either engraved, or permanent marker, with my name on it, so I usually get them back, even if it's several weeks or months later.
        Left my shop vac at a job about 2 months ago, so I put my personal one for my house in my truck, & it was so big & bulky, that I just went out & bought another one, like I had, that hangs up, & out of the way. I know I will get it back when I go back there, so I don't sweat it, too much.
        Got a pair of 430 channel locks back, just last month, that I left at a guys house over 4yrs ago. They had my name engraved, & the guy called me right away, & told me I left them there, but wasn't worth driving back to get them. I've seen him a few times at his rentals since then, & he forgets to bring them, so last month, I finally got them back.

Comment

You guys need those suspender type clips used to hold gloves to your coat sleeve.
          Clip on your tools and they will always be with you

ha ha ha

Cactus Man

Comment

I need something.I don't have to replace many tools left,others are always kind enough to hold on to them till I get back around.

A flannel left with Joey
            A couple wrenches with Rick.
            A couple wrenches left with Westcoast,I get those back when I go down to see the new baby.

I'm surprised I didn't leave anything when Ben and I were down helping Rick set a 100gal htr.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this dissorder

Comment

but you did. you left your 5 gal. bucket and a wrench

how about the time you left your combination carpenter pencil and crayon took a few months to get it to you.

i left my good plunger at a customers house, came back a couple months later to pick it up.

how about stuff you eave on the bumper and it's still there when you park

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I lost a good pair of Klien linemans pliers and a pair of 420 channelocks just last month that way...they weren't on the bumper when I remembered I left them there 5 miles later.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  but you did. you left your 5 gal. bucket and a wrench

how about the time you left your combination carpenter pencil and crayon took a few months to get it to you.

i left my good plunger at a customers house, came back a couple months later to pick it up.

rick.
                  Your right,
                  The bucket and your tape you were supposed to keep

Comment

A tool? Try all my tools.

I really have to be careful when cleaning up. I have a tendency to get distracted when talking to the customer and forgetful. Customers have lots of questions and I am more than happy to answer them. I just can't do it and accurately put away my tools and equipment at the same time.

One time I was interrupted mid putting away my large tool caddy. I had the bin door to my truck open and was just putting the tool bag away, when I was hailed from across the street by the customer. Instead of putting the tool caddy in the truck, closing the bin door and locking it, I put the tool bag down on the curb. This was at night and it was very dark. I answered more questions for the customer, went and closed the bin door and drove off with my tool caddy still sitting on the curb. (kinda need that)

Didn't notice it missing until the next day! Ooohhh that feeling burns. Had to call the customer back and sheepishly ask if he happened to notice a tool caddy left out by the street.

Fortunately, a neighbor noticed it that morning and called my customer to check with him given the fact that she had seen a plumbing truck out there the day before.

So yeah I would say I have a problem with this!

Now, whenever I cannot find a tool I automatically assume I left it somewhere. Funny thing is that it's almost always right where it is supposed to be - just didn't see it and quick to assume the worst. I wonder why?

Comment

i've lost my share of stuff on jobs over the years

my helpers have been great at loosing lift straps for me...

I had a helper the other day leave my handtruck at a job 50 miles away

guess i'll have to get a powered stairclimber now... won't need helpers nearly as much

Comment

I would say my wierdest case of amnesia was when I was doing work at an apartment complex for a couple of days. One day I'm loding up the van in the morning and I notice my b-tank is missing. So I go to the job site and right there in the middle of the sidewalk of the fully occupied apartment complex was my Turbo Torch & b-tank, right where I left it when I was loading up my van at 3:30 the previous day.

Comment

Working...
                        X