X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors Calling You

I have some questions I thought I would ask about your vendors you work with. I have been pondering these questions since I have started working at RootX years ago. I am just curious for my own benefit.

Do you like them (vendors) following up with you on a quarterly basis?
    If you use an answering service and they know you do, do you want them leaving you messages?
    I would be really interested to know how vendors you purchase from are perceived when they do follow ups calls with you?

I often think when I am calling my customers I wonder if I am annoying them are they ok, happy, nuetral feeling about my call. My question here might not only benefit me but others that read this forum and are in similar positions to mine.

I am very interested in your responses and look forward to reading them.

Thank you guys,
    Dan Lawrence

Re: Vendors Calling You

I hate vendors calling me. If they do, I consider them telemarketers. If I want something I will call you, otherwise leave me alone. Thats my take on it.

Comment

don

spot on. spot on. breid..................

Comment

It really depends on the relationship I have with them. If I hate their product and I ask them not to call any more I get upset when they call. If I like their product and feel they are doing what vendors do I am glad they called and that I have a mutually beneficial relationship with a vendor. If I am not familiar with a product I listen just long enough to see if I care. If I am interested we continue, if I am not I let them know I am not interested and don't call again.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

As for the vendors...I don't want them calling me to update the monthly sales or try to sell me a new product. I DO like them to call when they are doing breakfast or lunch for the contractors. I also like to be informed when training classes are being held.

As for customers...I think most customer really appreciate a follow-up call. The message it sends is certainly a positive one.

Comment

I think that's interested the different responses so far. Thank you guys for commenting I really appreciate it. I am interested in what others think as well.

Comment

It really does depend on the vendor. I have had the same salesman at one particular supply house for close to 20 years. He stops by at least once a week. It's ok with me
              sigpic

Comment

we have a few supply house reps that stop by the shop on a weekly basis, we usually make sure we're all out of there before they make it, just to keep from having to deal with them. One of the other supply houses I deal with, and like very much gives me a call once a week or so to see if we need anything/want to grab lunch.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i hate it when the carpet cleaners or the better business bureau calls

i love it when dan or ridgid calls

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Had a salesman drop by unexpectedly a few years back, early in the morning, while I was loading my truck. He sidetracked me, & I drove out to a job that was 1hr away, & noticed I forgot to load my pipe threading machine. It was one of those moments, when you know you were thinking about it so much, that you actually think you did it. I was so sure I loaded it, that I thought I may have lost it somehow on the way. But that fricken salesman distracted me, & it cost me big time.
                    Never again, if they show up here, I let it be known, they're not welcome. My regulars I buy from, know all they gotta do is call, or E- mail. Personal visits from salesmen, IMO, went out with 8-track players.

Comment

I don't mind a quick "haven't heard from you in a while, just calling to see how your doing" or "we're coming out with a new product you might be interested in" but I will only take these calls from a supplier I already have a relationship with.

I HATE cold calls especially the ones that refuse to take no. Then continue to call back.
                      I've found the best way to insure they don't call back is to act real interested and start the process for a huge order then hang up when it comes time for billing/CC info. They always call right back and apologize for being disconnected. Thats when I let them know they didn't get disconnected, I hung up on them because I was just F-ing with them and I'm not interested in their product at all so quit calling.

Another thing I like to do is "no Gene is not here at the moment but you can reach him at" and give them the # to the local police dept.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        I don't mind a quick "haven't heard from you in a while, just calling to see how your doing" or "we're coming out with a new product you might be interested in" but I will only take these calls from a supplier I already have a relationship with.

I HATE cold calls especially the ones that refuse to take no. Then continue to call back.
                        I've found the best way to insure they don't call back is to act real interested and start the process for a huge order then hang up when it comes time for billing/CC info. They always call right back and apologize for being disconnected. Thats when I let them know they didn't get disconnected, I hung up on them because I was just F-ing with them and I'm not interested in their product at all so quit calling.

Another thing I like to do is "no Gene is not here at the moment but you can reach him at" and give them the # to the local police dept.

You know what a good one is if you want to get rid of them. You ask them what their wearing or where they live and if or what they are doing after work and what time do they get off. It's immature but kind of funny.

This is the funniest telemarketer prank call ever youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I
                        It has some language in it so copy and paste the link if you want to see it.

Comment

It totaly depends on who is calling. I just chatted with one of my vendors today on the phone. He calls about once a quarter or 6 months, we talk for a bit about business, life and whatever else comes up and then I don't hear from him until he calls me or I call him to place an order. No problem.

One I do have a problem with is the previous guys competitor. This gal is the mother of one of my other vendors that I do some business with and like. However she just won't take no for an answer. Every two months or so she nails me or my partner. Everytime we tell her no. It's really starting to irritate me.

So my advice Dan would be to try to evaluate what kind of relationship you have with each customer and decide from there. Hell, just ask them how often they want to be contacted, or if they mind you calling just to check in!
                          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            I might give that one a try.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I like interaction from people I buy from. I'm really big on communication and if my vendor isn't fast, I get a little upset. A phone call isn't all necessary. A quick email does the job.
                              Michigan plumber | RootX | Buy Bio Clean

Comment

Working...
                              X