X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building trap?

Have any of you guys ever used one main trap for a building? In this case I have a kennel with 12 floor drains and one trench drain. Engineer suggested using 6" or possibly 8" for the drains. Lots of poo I guess. Twelve 6" p-traps sure will be expensive.

Re: building trap?

i've worked on lots of dog pounds the last few years. city of los angeles has built about 6 new ones in the last few years and i've been to 4 of them. all the same design.

there are 3'' drain/ pipes, that just poke into a common troff drain. this troff is poured concrete with a grate running the entire length. at the end of lets say 6 kennels, the troff connects to a 6'' running trap.

some were cast and most were plastic made from 2-45's and a 90.

the troff's are washed out on a regular basis with a 2'' water main via a ball valve connected to the non potable water.

biggest problem has been concrete in the 6'' traps due to the concrete finish crew.

also the 3'' drains in each kennel have no grate. it's just a 3'' pipe sleeve into the troff. i suggested a 1/4'' stainless steel bar across each top cut in with a grinder and epoxy to prevent tennis balls and blankets from washing into the troff drain.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Why not ask the plumbing inspector what your options are? The engineer can only suggest, the inspector has to approve.

Comment

Rick, would you put a clean out on each side of the trap?

Comment

APHCO, I asked the inspector. He said I could use a single p-trap for each kennel building. I was looking for other ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
            Rick, would you put a clean out on each side of the trap?
            not before as the troff is the inlet side of the trap.

after it is ok, but if you can't get a snake through a 6'' trap, you need a better snake. i use my 1.25 innercore sectional through the 6'' trap.

but it's still a good idea to have a c/o after the trap. 4'' is adequate.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Here in Illinois the only way you can use a running trap is if it vented. So we could not install it like you did Rick.

Attached Files
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I am glad you posted that pic. I need to ask the inspector if it needs a vent.

Comment

keep in mind this is a system that goes to a clarifier and is not considered as a building sanitary system. in fact it also captures rain water in directly. i would imagine with a 6'' line it would be more like a combination waste and vent system.

you definitely need to talk to your inspector as even with the city of la, there were items that were not in the book.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X