master plumber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• master plumber?

I am from california and my brother in law is in ohio we were discussing the differences in the way things are done differently and he said that being a master plumber is a big thing in ohio. So my question is what does it take to be a master plumber verses a contractor? Is one better per say than the other?

Re: master plumber?

When I was in VA I had to hold my journeymans card for a year before taking my masters test. There's no "indoctrination" time for becoming a contractor. Long story short, I sent in my paperwork to CLSB and was allowed to test for my contractors. Both contractors and masters only required the years of experience, not hours, and a general summary of what I did. I really believe that the status of a master plumber comes from the name. It sounds better than contractor. A contracor could just be a painter, carpenter, drywall, who knows? But there's no mistaking the title of a master plumber.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

In my state master plumbers are gods. Admired, revered and extolled by all. We hold the ultimate power over Poo.
      sigpic

Comment

In Florida a Master Plumber is a title that may get you a good job or more money at your job. But a with a plumbing contractor you can open your own business, pull permitts. It really matters what you plan is. If you wanna open a business then get your contractor if you wanna work for the city or someone else then get your master. I have a Journeyman, Master and Plumbing Contractor. I fell like i wasted time and money with the Journeyman and Master. If had to get just one get your Contractor.
        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

For the most part a Plumbing Contractor in California is a Master Plumber.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am from MA and own Jade Plumbing & Heating. There is no plumbing contractor's license here theres just a masters license which is the highest level a plumber/gas fitter can be here in MA. I had no idea a plumbing contractors license even existed I got to get out more.

Comment

I held a masters in michigan in IPC

now i hold a commercial contractors in az, and a journeyman`s license in UPC

in mi. it was, you needed a masters to pull a permit. but now its a contractors with a license.

people here asked master of what. LOL

to me no diff long as you get paid

Comment

California at the state level has no official designation of "master plumber" or for that matter "journeyman". A journeyman is defined as someone who is qualified to perform work without supervision. No legal "license". To become a "contractor" you have to document 4 years work at the "journeyman level". There is no journeyman license or master license.

I never worked in a union, but I assume if you are in the union, they DO use designators like journeyman and master.

Comment

In Hawaii you can be a plumbing contractor and contract to perform plumbing work but in order to actually do the work one must be a licensed journeyman or master plumber. Licensed journeyman or master plumbers however, cannot pull permits or do jobs over $1000.00. Being a master plumber ain't no big thing here unless you are in the union which amounts to a higher pay scale.
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

actually a journeyman's license is required to work in the city of los angeles. you're either an apprentice or a journeyman or the owner/ contractor.

the journeyman's license test is similar to the contractors test minus the business/ law section of the contractors test.

once i got my contractors license, i stopped paying for my journeyman's license.

there is no masters classification in california.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

So what's the process of getting a journeyman's card in CA?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, not really required since you have your c-36

but pretty much similar to the state test minus the business law section.

los angeles offers the test and typically other cities will honor a city of los angeles journeyman's card.

try the cities building and safety website for a link.

still need to show the 4 years of experience similar to the c-36.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X