X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low-ball plumbers......

I would rather be high and make money than be low and loose money. when I can go fishing and loose less money than working, I'll take fishing any day. I'm not in this for the practice or the friends.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Some companies will take a "holdover" job for zero profit, or even a negative bottom line just to keep the boys together 'til the next profitable job is ready.

Seen it.

J.C.

We did it once back in the mid 90's we had a big job just completed that took nearly a year for the construction crew. Fifteen employees would have been out of work for six weeks if my old man didn't take the job. He did what he had to do to keep his guys employed. I know it sucks for the guy trying to make a buck but when you got 15 guys that their family's are depending on their paychecks. I think guys taking short cuts and undercutting everyone by 50% is ridiculous. However a company taking a job once in a while just to keep busy and get paychecks to themselves and their crew I believe is not completely out of line. RootX is a sister company of a former drain cleaning company at one point was the largest west of the Rockies before it was sold. Now they just do concrete and sidewalk and road construction. Before this recession hit they had nearly 150 guys two summers ago. Now 20 guys and they are doing what ever they can just to get work. This economy sucks, a lot of you guys are hurting and that gets passed down to the manufacturers, resellers, distributors ect. Right now this industry is all feeling it but that also does not mean that we drop our price in half to make the quick buck. That is a band-aid on a gushing wound. To sum it up I know sometimes a guy has to do what he has to do to survive but to do it constantly and not make a profit or cutting corners is just looking for trouble.

Comment

Yep, If you keep doing it for cheap now. You will pay for it later
        But sometimes you have to keep people working. To many people out there
        just under value their service hopping to get more jobs. But what their really doing is working harder for less.
        Under cutting SUX it just lowers the value of our service.
        I really don't get it if the service is needed and no one low balled
        everyone makes money because their going to need service regardless
        Last edited by UnClogNH; 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

We get our fair share of handyman types. I have started taking pictures of some of the more interesting handyman plumbing. My favorite was a tourniquet holding drain fittings together. It didn't leak. I guess you do what ever works, huh.

The guys that really get me are the Home Depot, work for a sandwich and gas money guys. I had a customer call HD while I stood there in his living room. Of course they under cut me by hundreds of dollars.

I told the customer to call me and let me know how it worked out for him and left..

It is easier to move on to the next customer.

Comment

Maybe they have hernias.

J.C.

Comment

Just did a 500' PX Re-Pipe for $1800.00 ! Large Ranch house Tight Rafters Rock Wool 180 Degrees ! Took 18 hrs. By my self ! $750.00 In parts !

BUT ! I Made my Insurance payment :-)

So Stay home or suck it up Take NO profit and have a business around if and when things improve ...

Dave

Comment

that's $58.00 bucks an hour. california wages. florida is a low wage state, also. or at least it used to be. breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  that's $58.00 bucks an hour. california wages. florida is a low wage state, also. or at least it used to be. breid.................
                  Minus all overhead.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Florida still is a low wage state........but his $58/hr is a lot better then the guy who bid against me who couldn't have been making a penny more then $40/hr.....I have a home office and shop....and that won't even cover my wages AND overhead. I notice that Murphy's law tends to kick in when I settle for a low ball job......I ALWAYS get a call the next day for tons of work! I do quality work and I have noticed a lot lately that people who used the low ballers tell me afterwards, " I wish I had used you!" too bad for them.......I'm in business to make money....when it gets to the point of having to do work for $40/hr.....I'll just close up shop and work for my buddy for $25/hr and NOT have the headaches of being an owner.....and not having to get calls late on weekends. I just wish some of these rednecks who do absolutely crappy work... would do the same.......

Comment

Working...
                    X