Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite sewage grinder pump?

Zoeller?
    Hydromatic?
    Something else?

I have 4 high end houses, and probably more in the same subdivision that are under other property managers, all of them with sewage lift pits. Some whole house, some just the lower level, but all with a pair of Zoeller 267's and a 'Smart Pak Plus' alternator.

Utterly inappropriate installations. Need constant care from flushed tampons, etc. These are not grinders and I think it irresponsible of Zoeller to have marketed these canned systems as 'sewage rated'. Also, the 'Smart Pak' alternators are pure junk that roll over and die at the slightest sign of being over amped, so now tampons = siezed pump impeller = dead box as well as dead pump.

I'm tired of going back to these houses over and over again, replacing pumps asked to do things they were never designed for with happy new pumps destined for the same fate. It is embarrassing keep doing it, and I'm worried that my rep is suffering as they never stay fixed, though I've told anyone who will listen in strong language that the installation is junk and they need duplex grinders and a real alternator with it's own 4 float level sensing arrangement if they want it to work.

I'm on the verge of getting some of the ho's to listen and switch over to a real system. Having climbed up on my high horse and told everyone what junk this is, the last thing I can afford is having a $10k - $20k redo have any problems (2 grinders, controller, running 220 to it, replacing existing discharge dwv with sch80 and pressure fittings, fixing the walls demo'ed to get to the piping, etc = $10k on the easy ones, much much more on the difficult ones where the dwv discharge lines are buried... I'm just so angry looking at this... how can you miss 'not rated for pressure' printed right on the dang pipe?)

Who makes the best grinders and alternators? I'm so bent at Zoeller for marketing this junk I hate to use them. Another $2k in matl cost is nothing on these retrofits to get best tampon, etc handling capability and best reliability.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: What is your favorite sewage grinder pump?

One of the systems that I seen that impresed me the most was where they took the inlet and tied it in with the discharge of the pump. Of course there is a check valve on the inlet to only allow the sewerage to flow into the pump pit through the pump. Just below the tee fitting is a screen that keeps the solids from going past the pump, so just the water enters the pit. bet you are seeing where this is going. Now the pump kicks on and the water and solids that got caught on the screen get pumped right on out.

Its an old school system but they never ever had an issue with the pump getting bound up with tampons, underware, and the such.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That is a great idea... catch the debris before it gets in the pump and blow it out. I think I could retro that in some of these installations, but space is tight in the pits and I'm a little worried it would catch enough to clog before the pump kicked on, or it would clog the check (or worse, hang it open )... if the pits were bigger, mostly if they were deeper, I might try it... but I won't.

Might also suggest signs on the toilets; 'Your tampons will be mailed back to you with the receipt from the charge to your credit card for removing them.'

But mostly just want to end the issue with a real grinder installation, and want to have a good one sussed out for when one of the ho's finally takes the plunge.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I'd take a Hydromatic over anyone, but they are more expensive than Zoeller, Liberty, little giant.

I'm always hesitant to use a Zoeller, because we had so many problems with their switches burning out on their sump pumps.

Comment

Just get a Muffin Monster and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            That is a great idea... catch the debris before it gets in the pump and blow it out. I think I could retro that in some of these installations, but space is tight in the pits and I'm a little worried it would catch enough to clog before the pump kicked on, or it would clog the check (or worse, hang it open )... if the pits were bigger, mostly if they were deeper, I might try it... but I won't.

Might also suggest signs on the toilets; 'Your tampons will be mailed back to you with the receipt from the charge to your credit card for removing them.'

But mostly just want to end the issue with a real grinder installation, and want to have a good one sussed out for when one of the ho's finally takes the plunge.
            We had a major problem in a small commercial bldg, with a sewage pump that would clog up with tampons quite often. Half the bldg. was on this pump, the other half was gravity drain. Every time, it would flood & cause a mess. There was a high water alarm on it, but by the time they heard it, or figured out what was happening the place would be flooded with raw sewage.
            In this situation, right next to the sewage pit ( which by the way, was about 6ft deep & installed very crooked, with half a$$ home made extension), was a 3/4" cold water feed that fed that half of the bldg, that drained into the sewage pump pit. Here is what I did.
            I installed a solonoid valve in the cold supply line, which had a standard 110v plug on it. I installed a normally closed (N.C.) float switch inside the sump ( yes they do make normally closed float switches, standard ones are normally open), & simply plugged the N.C. float switch into the wall outlet, & plugged the solonoid valve into the float switch..........This gives the solonoid valve power, opens, & lets water flow to plbg. fixtures. When the pump clogs or malfunctions, the water in pit rises, opens up the float switch, thus turning off solonoid, & water supply to all toilets & sinks, in this half of bldg, & keeping pit from filling up, &/or overflowing. This made it much easier to then be able to remove, or work on pump.
            This bldg was owned by sparkies, so they wired it up. They also were able to tell their tenants, that if they had no water, that pump was bad, & in this case they had another set of bathrooms they could use on other end of bldg. , although it was quite a long walk.
            Not saying you could do this, just saying how we solved an ongoing problem.

Comment

If you want a pump that will not clog and last a good long time get a Weil. They are by far the best pump I ever installed.

http://www.weilpump.com/SG-Product_Index_D10.pdf

Swaby makes good pumps as well.

http://www.swabypump.com/

Then there is Tramco, I would have to rate this third best compareid to Weil and Swaby.

http://www.tramcopump.com/Residentia...m?Secondary=10
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
              X