X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the licenced plumbers.

Im studying for my master plumbers license. What i dont understand is why the City of Hudson in NY is still using the code book from 1953. They want us to know how to put in lead water mains and wipe lead bends. I just do not see the point in this. Could someone please explain to me why they waist our time with this knowing damn well lead is to never be used in a water main ?

Re: Question for the licenced plumbers.

Wiping a lead joint is a lost art. There is still lead water services here in the Chicago area. So many plumbers do not know how to wipe a joint anymore.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Well city of Hudson you have to wipe a lead joint.... i just seriously dont understand why you would take the time to learn that but maybe im missing the point.

Comment

It may help you on a repair, but it does seem pretty redundant for testing.

J.C.

Comment

My father has been doing Plumbing for over 43 years,(in business for 37) and he doesn't know how to wipe a joint, and neither do I.

Now he taught me how to repair lead in a pinch, but that's about it.

He told me back then nobody was willing to show how to wipe a joint, in fear of losing their job.

Personally, I'm following the lead back to the cast iron main, and ripping it out!! lol

With that said...it would be kind of cool to learn how to wipe a joint. I do agree..it's a lost art.

Comment

I learned to wipe a joint, even learned to solder up a lead shower pan.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've ripped out lead shower pans, but never installed one.

It's kind of neat to hear what others across the country are doing.

Comment

I agree. Tear all that old crap out and put the plastic to it. String some pex and slap an AAV in there..... be fine
                sigpic

Comment

When I took my Calif. plumbing contractors test in 1985; the part that asked me to identify different cast iron drainage fittings, they were all lead hub type even though no hub took over in the late 1960's. The funnier thing was some of the fittings were not legal by code. Way out dated testing materials.

Comment

I was taught how to wipe a lead joint,how to make a lead shower pan,a proper B+S lead joint and how to make a lead flashing as an apprentice.I've used them all in the last 30 years in the trade,still pour lead joints on a daily basis when your working in Chicago within the city limits.Still come across Stringer fittings on a rare occasion now and then on a remodel.
                    Last edited by leakfree; 07-03-2010, 05:23 PM.
                    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

when i took my journeyman license in mi. we wiped a branch joint.

the next year it was removed and replaced with blueprint take offs

Comment

I'll dig out a joint and pour another.. over just cutting the pipe, and putting a mission coupling on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X