Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What more do I have to do, to get an inspection!

Scheduled a plumbing inspection yesterday on a simple 2nd floor bath remodel. Homeowner said they will be home. I asked the inspector for Am inspection if possible. The inspector shows up at 11:50 am. The homeowner left (of course this is when inspector shows up) for a few minutes, but her kids were home. I don't know exactly how old her kids are, but 1 drives, so if I were to guess it would be 1 is 16 or 17, & the other is 13 or 14. Guess what?...........The inspector would not enter the house unless there was an adult home. Can I blame him, the way things are in this world today? No I can't. But now I have to go through the hassle of rescheduling & 15 more phone calls, yada yada yada. Plus the drywall guy can't start today.
    From now on when I take these jobs on, I am going to ask who will wait for the inspector, or do they want me to add half day of labor, for each inspection, to wait for him, on my bid.

Re: What more do I have to do, to get an inspection!

If a half day is enough i would add it to the bill its for there piece of mind

Here in small town Arkansas we just call the inspectors cell and 5 min later he shows up ..
    If he dont we call to see were he is

Comment

As much of a P.I.A. it is for you..I actually admire the inspector for his decision. It would of ticked me off as well, but I've been in that situation regarding entering a house with kids, with no adults. I either wait outside in my truck, or leave and come back later.

It's like the customer thinks we have nothing better to do..then wait for them.

Comment

company policy number 1 never work in a home with underage kids.

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
          company policy number 1 never work in a home with underage kids.
          That's quite a few jobs to turn down.
          It sounds like a great idea.
          I'm not getting enough work as it is.

Comment

the kids come out of the woodworks when plumber rick shows up

i have lots of underage helpers

what's amazing is how fast they grow up or i'm getting older

i think the difference is that i'm not considered a stranger with my customers. it's pretty much family with them all.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              If a half day is enough i would add it to the bill its for there piece of mind

Here in small town Arkansas we just call the inspectors cell and 5 min later he shows up ..
              If he dont we call to see were he is
              This job is figured as a total of only 2.5 days labor. If I added .5 days labor to the bill, I think I would have to get out the defibulater paddles, after the GC has his heart attack. Believe me, I would love to just add a few hours to the bill, & meet the inspector myself, but on these small jobs, that's just simply not economically feasible. But I did have long talk with GC about how to handle waiting for inspectors in the future. He is going to add a clause in his contracts that states, if the HO can't make arrangements to have an adult stay there, & wait for inspections, then he will add X amount to the cost.
              I told him to also put it in bold letters, cuz I'm tired of this. Most of these cities will give you an AM or PM time if you call & can actually get in touch with the inspector, the morning of. Otherwise they tell you between 9 & 5. Like their so busy, in this booming economy here in Mich., that they can't give us a 2 or 3hr window.

Comment

I do a lot of jobs with no one home open door policy
                Master keys to lots of rentals
                Kids would make me feel like i had company
                It saves a homeowner landlord big time
                Cant help with slow inspectors

Comment

One of the most frustrating things I deal with too. I have yet to encounter an inspector in the state that will give a time or window of time for an inspection.

Any inspection.

J.C.

Comment

I can't stand most of these inspectors in my area. The majority of them do not know what they are looking at, as these townships are going with outside firms for their inspections. It's rare to see an inspector who is an employee of the township or borough anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I can't stand most of these inspectors in my area. The majority of them do not know what they are looking at, as these townships are going with outside firms for their inspections. It's rare to see an inspector who is an employee of the township or borough anymore.
                      Never heard of that. All here in Nunya (NC) are employees of the town/county/state. I will say that they are on top of the code for my area.

They are all jerks however about scheduling inspections. I KNOW from experience, being in their building, seeing them out that they absolutely, positively, CAN schedule inspections.

J.C.

Comment

In my area I'm guessing it's some sort of cost cutting move, coupled with the corruption that could be going on. Philadelphia a few years ago had a major problem with Plumbing inspectors..and them taking payoff's.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          In my area I'm guessing it's some sort of cost cutting move, coupled with the corruption that could be going on. Philadelphia a few years ago had a major problem with Plumbing inspectors..and them taking payoff's.
                          What you say is a definite trend. Everyone, at least here, has always said something to the effect that "the State doesn't pay anything but there are good benefits". Latest studies now show that government employees earn more
                          on average than the comparable private sector when looking at the whole picture.

Local & state government has learned to begin privatizing it for less cost. Example: Road right-of-ways here are no longer mowed by the State. Private companies.

The trend will continue, except for the well benefitted & well payed at the top of course.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            That's quite a few jobs to turn down.
                            It sounds like a great idea.
                            I'm not getting enough work as it is.
                            when i first started plumbing in 98 did polybutylene repipes in multi unit apt and single fam homes company owner had that policy.i dont turn down many jobs just always kept as rule of thumb.

Comment

getting an inspection for beverly hills is like winning the lottery

but los angeles actually has a better system and the automated computer does call in the morning and give you a 2 hour window. so far so good as i think they have to pretty much stick to the computers commands

some of the other small cities like santa monica are actually real good about getting ahold of the inspector with just a phone call to building and safety.

during my new construction days, it was never an issue as i was there all day anyways. doing service and repair, i have to either wait or just leave a detailed message of where to look and how to get onto the property.

seismic gas valves are always outside and accessible. no need to be there and pretty much same with outdoor water heaters.

gas services i usually need to be there so i can get the gas disconnected and pumped up before and put back together after inspection. the homeowner is without gas waiting for the inspector in the mean time.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X