X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Electric tankless waterheaters

Mark do you want to narrow that down to a specific model? Because if you don't somebody is going to pick it apart. I will give you one free sizing... after that? I must have gpm demand as well. Don't think you are going to blanket a failure scenerio from the beginning. Give me full details of the unit and house in your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      He installed it and it's what he wants. I thinh he's crazy but I would not use him as an example.

Mark
      Mark you just did use his example and you used it in defense of someone who loves to boast and is not standing up now.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
        Thats what they wanted. I always give the customer what they want, unless I see need to try to sway them in a better direction
        You are a wise man.

Systems are a marriage. As a service person and a husband I have learned that I can be right or I can be happy when it comes to my wife and my customer.

In one case it always made me more money. In the other? That money always seems to vanish

If there is a reason to sway from tankless then by every responsible means do so. State this very clearly to the customer. Share your reasons and also listen to theirs.

If it makes sense then don't be afraid to try something new. In the right case it does makes sense. When going electric it usually doesn't. If gas is an option it can.

That sums it up for me.

Comment

Sorry i had to go and plant a few more deer plots this weekend

I just threw out the 10 gal per min #

I want the family to be happy when they take there showers
          Less the water savers
          It has 3 baths in the main house and 5 people
          They have a 80 gal tank sitting there
          I am going to convince them i need some space to keep them happy
          I took out more tank less heaters 20 years ago than i have put in , in the last 20 years
          I didn't know this was going to blow up like it did
          Thank You Every One
          Tankless is Wothless like i remember

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Just put in an AquaHut with tank heater and be done with it. They get the room and the supply they need without any VooDoo electrical upgrades.

J.C.
            Do this.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              To be honest I doubt there are many here who would need your help sizing anything. An unrealistic demand is a poor example of success.

Mark
              Didn't I help some one?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              but the real discussion was the cost and feasibility of installing a tankless electric unit that produces approx 10gpm.

10gpm tankless gas is a no brainer.

but what's not a no brainer is your gas load demand. those 4 units have a demand of up to 199,000 each natural gas and 190,000 each for lp.

getting 800,000 btu's of supply gas out here is usually not too difficult. it's the rest of the gas demand that might put us over the top.

rick.

Because that was sized 2X the load demand.

Sorry I'm done.

Comment

No I'm done.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                  Mark do you want to narrow that down to a specific model? Because if you don't somebody is going to pick it apart. I will give you one free sizing... after that? I must have gpm demand as well. Don't think you are going to blanket a failure scenerio from the beginning. Give me full details of the unit and house in your mind.
                  This is more of an electrical question so feel free to use whatever equipment you want as long as it makes sense electrically and uses the standard panel.

Per your example, your goal is an 80 degree temperature rise with a flow of 10-gallons per minute. Make sure you don’t forget to de-rate the performance by 20% as you suggested.

The point has always been it would take a ridiculous amount of power.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                    Mark you just did use his example and you used it in defense of someone who loves to boast and is not standing up now.
                    I’m sorry but you will have to explain your reply to me as I didn’t understand it.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Do this.

J.C.
                      Ok JC
                      what is a AquaHut ?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                        Ok JC
                        what is a AquaHut ?
                        http://myaquahut.com/

I have customers ask me all the time about moving their water heater to the back yard. Never knew this product was available Is this thing for real?

17 page thread and finally found something worth reading

Comment

Has any one used one

Comment

I have used several in Florida. It is not a good choice in Colorado.

Comment

When I was younger I had little or no choice over the equipment we installed or the tools we bought, my dad made those decisions. When he handed me the keys I naturally jumped on every new thing I could get my hands on. dad sat back and watched. After awhile I got real tired of listening to the answering machine every morning with the complaints about whatever wiz bang POS we installed last week and why doesn't it and it's making a noise and I don't think the thing is working right and on and on and on. Then the wasted hours either servicing or trying to explain to the customer for the tenth time how the damn thing works and yes that noise is normal Yadda yadda yadda until one day I finally said enough and stopped selling crap that I knew was going to be a headache. A 40 gallon electric water heater is quiet, reasonably efficient, gives plenty of hot water and nobody ever calls me back. There is a fine line between what is efficient and will actually save money and what is costly, only marginally more efficient and a pain in the *** to service. Is that 2% savings really doing your customer a service?
                              sigpic

Comment

Kevin I am very very confident in my work and the sizing of the gas piping. I fix other peoples mistakes when they don't size the gas or water heater to the application at hand. The gas piping is done and this job is in completion stage.
                                The only place I see a need for an electric tankless is maybe for a one bath application or point of use. And I do that I make sure the water heater is as close as I can get to the fixtures.

Comment

Working...
                                X