• Show
Clear All

• Re: Electric tankless waterheaters

Originally posted by DEL CASE View Post
    Ok JC
    what is a AquaHut ?
    i too was curious what an aquahut was

it's a fancy name for a water heater shed

out here they are a dime a dozen. just about every heater that's been moved outside has a galvanized steel water heater shed. common is the 24'' wide that fits a 40 gas no problem. 50 gas is very tight if there's any piping in the back. 30'' is ideal for the 50's and 75's. and the 100's required the 36'' shed.

pretty flimsy sheet metal that's not the good stuff from yesteryear.

they are sold at our supply house and every home depot and lowes in town. remember we don't get the freezing weather so an outdoor heater shed is a common thing.

american appliance did have an outdoor electric heater made of plastic
    that didn't require a shed. i believe it had a lifetime warranty.

there is a solution to an outdoor shed

an outdoor tankless

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      Has any one used one
      They're used all the time here. I've used them. Material is kind of like the painted metal an outside HVAC unit is made of. I've ran into many types. Some like Rick says with very light grade sheetmetal. The "Aqua-Hut" brand out of Charlotte seems to be better grade in my opinion.

Thin insulation, but works fine for our environment in N.C. They are designed for a gas water heater but I've seen them with the vent outlet just plugged with an electric water heater and give no problems.

One of the options that can be used depending on what you run into.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Here's a brochure/pic from the website plumberscrack listed to give you a better overall picture.

http://www.myaquahut.com/aquahut-brochure.pdf

J.C.

Comment

what's amazing about that link and photo is the lack of a proper installation. sure it might be a generic photo, but when you show the vent cap 6'' above the shed, it's not realistic to what the finished product is suppose to look like.

out here/ upc, we need a 5' minimum vent height, along with 1' above the roof line.

we also need a slab/ base 3'' above the ground surface.

of course an electric heater enclosure doesn't require the vent stack.

also the venting would have to be double wall type b venting.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            what's amazing about that link and photo is the lack of a proper installation. sure it might be a generic photo, but when you show the vent cap 6'' above the shed, it's not realistic to what the finished product is suppose to look like.

out here/ upc, we need a 5' minimum vent height, along with 1' above the roof line.

we also need a slab/ base 3'' above the ground surface.

of course an electric heater enclosure doesn't require the vent stack.

also the venting would have to be double wall type b venting.

rick.
            A 3" pad is typically used.

But not the 5' & 1' requirement.

And not double wall type b.

With the 5' & 1' requirement, are you saying that if you installed one of these, the UPC California interpretation would require you to run the vent out of the hut and 1' above the house or building?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

With the 5' & 1' requirement, are you saying that if you installed one of these, the UPC California interpretation would require you to run the vent out of the hut and 1' above the house or building?

Thanks.

J.C.
              The reason for the minimum length of the B-Vent is to allow it to properly heat up and draw. The manufacturer actually discourages B-Vent outside of the structure all together.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.
                yes, and yes and yes.

the 1' above is actually based on the angle of the roof. flat roof would be 1' but a pitched roof would be more.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

yes, and yes and yes.

the 1' above is actually based on the angle of the roof. flat roof would be 1' but a pitched roof would be more.

rick.
                  Pretty tough. That means you pretty much always have an atmospheric vent roughly 10'+- above ground level every time. The short venting like in the picture has given no problems that I am aware of to this point. 1,000's of them installed. Oldest ones are probably 20 years give or take.

Thanks.

J.C.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-05-2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

the thought is that the 5' hot metal vent pipe will create a draft. but then again with an outdoor unit, is a draft really that important.

the code does not differentiate between the minimum vent length from indoor and outdoor.

of course the water vapor/ condensation is another reason to vent above the roof along with the possibility of combustion gases getting into an open window.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

the thought is that the 5' hot metal vent pipe will create a draft. but then again with an outdoor unit, is a draft really that important.

the code does not differentiate between the minimum vent length from indoor and outdoor.

of course the water vapor/ condensation is another reason to vent above the roof along with the possibility of combustion gases getting into an open window.

rick.
                      We do have vent distances from windows. Can't remember right now.

J.C.

Comment

• Re: Electric tankless water heaters

"Endless hot water" is a marketing term used by tankless manufacturers.

Turn on a few things in the winter for a "properly sized" tankless and you will get endless low volume hot water.

J.C.
                        True but can you really notice 2 GPM form a 2.5 GPM head? the job still gets done.

Cold water showers are no fun for everyone, maintaining lots of hot water for occasional big draws makes no sense to me either.

Comment

1' termination?

So much for 2' above anything within 10' NFPA/ANZI venting code.

Wnidows are 4' and 4' but differ if a direct vent.

Comment

• Re: Electric tankless water heaters

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                            True but can you really notice 2 GPM form a 2.5 GPM head? the job still gets done.

Cold water showers are no fun for everyone, maintaining lots of hot water for occasional big draws makes no sense to me either.

Thats all true But if you have 3 showers fighting for that 2 gals
                            It would be Ugly

Comment

Aquahut/water heater shed. Where does it attach but to the house. 5' and 1' vents.

NFPA calls for the vent termination to be 3' above the roof line and 2' above any permanent structure within a 10' horizontal plane. That includes the house behind the shed. NFPA 54-09 12.6.2.1

Who cares about exhaust spillage outside? Single wall or B-vent? A larger purpose of B-vent is to minimize the space required from combustable surfaces. Single wall is 6". B-Vent is 1". That is handy on one hand and useless on an outdoor metal shed.

For those that are so confident in sizing. Please explain to others why 4-200,000 btu natural gas units provide 32gpm+ and not the 10gpm described.

For those that are offended by help with sizing...get over it. While you may be a pro and know, you are not the only people looking at this. There are DIY looking at this and not logged in. Infact with the way this forum behaves I don't blame them. Why would they want to? It is much safer to learn from a destance than jump into the fire. What type of forum is that, when people wanting to learn are already put off?
                              Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-06-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                                Aquahut/water heater shed. Where does it attach but to the house. 5' and 1' vents.

NFPA calls for the vent termination to be 3' above the roof line and 2' above any permanent structure within a 10' horizontal plane. That includes the house behind the shed. NFPA 54-09 12.6.2.1

Who cares about exhaust spillage outside? Single wall or B-vent? A larger purpose of B-vent is to minimize the space required from combustable surfaces. Single wall is 6". B-Vent is 1". That is handy on one hand and useless on an outdoor metal shed.

For those that are so confident in sizing. Please explain to others why 4-200,000 btu natural gas units provide 32gpm+ and not the 10gpm described.

For those that are offended by help with sizing...get over it. While you may be a pro and know, you are not the only people looking at this. There are DIY looking at this and not logged in. Infact with the way this forum behaves I don't blame them. Why would they want to? It is much safer to learn from a destance than jump into the fire. What type of forum is that, when people wanting to learn are already put off?

This could get finicky in interpretation as the code may not directly address a "Hut".

It doesn't attach to the structure at all. Not one fastener. So do the gas/vent/plumbing rules noted apply?

And while the other code you listed does apply to venting....were they thinking of including things such as this?

That's a tough one, but maybe a good one. I keep thinking of the different roof lines encountered and how potentially high and crazy a vent could/would get if this was followed to the letter even if it was an outdoor closet designed into the original structure.

Some of those have small A-roofs. You would have to go out of them, then 20', 30', more? to get past other parts of the structure. Isn't there a maximum vertical distance on regular vent FVIR heaters?

So much to think about....

I won't address the rest. I'm here to learn as much as I can. May not always agree, may debate out of hand once in a while, but move on to learn something else.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X