• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Electric tankless waterheaters

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    In sizing?

Mark
    Sizing? Who needs SIZING? We've got PEX all over the place without the required cross-sectional area in fittings and valves. Rinnai's with internal tubing around 5/8". Type M grade looking copper too. On and on...

(Missed the post/question Mark. Haven't ran into too many code to manufacture conflicts in relation to sizing as I recall.)

J.C.

Comment

NFPA 54-09 12.6..2.1

A chimney for residential-type or low-heat applications shall extent atleast 3' above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and atleast 2' foot higher than any portion of A building within a horizontal distance of 10'.

That is the quote of the code. How exactly do you choose to get finiky with that?

Comment

We have a nasty little Hitler from the fire marshal's office here that would probably make you run the vent stack above the roof line of the main house if the shed was too close.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
          NFPA 54-09 12.6..2.1

A chimney for residential-type or low-heat applications shall extent atleast 3' above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and atleast 2' foot higher than any portion of A building within a horizontal distance of 10'.

That is the quote of the code. How exactly do you choose to get finiky with that?
          I don't. As I am not the inspector. This is one that I don't see enforced in many situations here or in other states that I've been to though. (You know how you look at plumbing in other places or even where you live. It's a sickness man. ).

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I don't. As I am not the inspector. This is one that I don't see enforced in many situations here or in other states that I've been to though. (You know how you look at plumbing in other places or even where you live. It's a sickness man. ).

J.C.
            I agree that it does go overlooked. Homeowners and contractors all get away with it until the little Hitler comes along. lol maybe I should change my name on here. Either way it is the code and it's intent. Placing an exhausting vent at say a 6'-8' level leaves room for exhaust fumes to remigrate back into a home through a window, doorway, or other mechanical means.

Comment

I agree that it does go overlooked. Homeowners and contractors all get away with it until the little Hitler comes along. lol maybe I should change my name on here. Either way it is the code and it's intent. Placing an exhausting vent at say a 6'-8' level leaves room for exhaust fumes to remigrate back into a home through a window, doorway, or other mechanical means.
              Do it!

J.C.

Comment

Do it!

J.C.
                It is fitting

I may have to confer with Mark. I am already on the cut list by now. lmao
                Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-06-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

ok Mark. I see you are on...can I change my name?

I am jewish by birthright...I won't be offended.

Comment

ok Mark. I see you are on...can I change my name?

I am jewish by birthright...I won't be offended.
                    No.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Combustion vent termination has gone back and forth within the UPC. The current reading is the same as NFPA 54:12.6.2.1

The required 5'-minimum is NAPA 54:12.6.2.3

Mark

Comment

No.

Mark
                        Patton has spoken. Sit down!

J.C.

Comment

Sizing? Who needs SIZING? We've got PEX all over the place without the required cross-sectional area in fittings and valves. Rinnai's with internal tubing around 5/8". Type M grade looking copper too. On and on...

(Missed the post/question Mark. Haven't ran into too many code to manufacture conflicts in relation to sizing as I recall.)

J.C.
                          I don't really recall many conflicts with Manufacturers. One I thought was funny was the way Pentair calculated their Combustion Air. The engineer conceded their paperwork was in error yet the warranty department stuck to their guns. It ended up costing the GC two vents.

Mark

Comment

I don't really recall many conflicts with Manufacturers. One I thought was funny was the way Pentair calculated their Combustion Air. The engineer conceded their paperwork was in error yet the warranty department stuck to their guns. It ended up costing the GC two vents.

Mark
                            What product did it involve?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

What product did it involve?

Thanks.

J.C.
                              It involved a MiniMax 250,000, a MiniMax 400,000 and a Rinnai R85 all in a pool equipment room. The original design of the combustion air was a mess. I had them leave the original combustion air in and added both a new high and low combustion air.

The design of the new grills were garbage so it really cut the free-air down. The math was still there to make it work but it wasn't what I wanted. I tried to show Pentair their calculations were wrong but they wouldn't budge. They wanted about double the combustion air a the Mechanical Code called for.

Mark

Comment

Got the van loaded to rough in the the master bath tomorrow
                                After telling them how many objections there were with the elec tank less
                                there going to give me some room in the wife's closet for the tank
                                We will see when i get up the hill

Comment

Working...
                                X