Electric tankless waterheaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric tankless waterheaters

Cool... so you should be able to do what you don't believe in and risk safety in the process of getting paid.

I know what it makes ya, but I just ain't allowed to say it.

It's ok to play on the green side. Who are we to tell the customer what they want? We can only suggest.

Tankless is for the homes that are going to last more than 5 years and also for the people that are going to be there that long or more.

Rick you don't need to keep telling me I am in the minority. I have an IQ of 156. I have been in the minority all my life. Just because we don't think the same means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
      I have electric boilers that heat Colorado homes with less power than that. Are you sure of the capacity of that unit? It sounds like something was hooked up wrong or the unit had a failure you missed. Was something turned off in the sub-panel?

Oh sorry I figured your electric bill was nearly free in CA too.
      kevin, since your the master of gas, i'll explain how electricity works.

a tankless heater has to take water that's as say 60 degrees and heat it to approx 130 in a matter of a couple seconds of exposure. this particular tankless was a small unit with 3 separate heating coils/ tanks. each one running at 40 amps 240 volts.

just as a gas tank heater draws approx 40,000 btu's, a tankless draws approx 199,000btu's that's 5 times more gas demand.

your electric boiler is not an instantaneous tankless unit.

i guess now i'm the master electrician

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

a tankless heater has to take water that's as say 60 degrees and heat it to approx 130 in a matter of a couple seconds of exposure. this particular tankless was a small unit with 3 separate heating coils/ tanks. each one running at 40 amps 240 volts.

just as a gas tank heater draws approx 40,000 btu's, a tankless draws approx 199,000btu's that's 5 times more gas demand.

rick.
        Ok master think fast...how many kilowatts? I have the same type system on my attorneys home and it works fine. If it didn't? His wife would tell him and he would let me know.

I can play power too master in your own mind.

Comment

Cool... so you should be able to do what you don't believe in and risk safety in the process of getting paid.

I know what it makes ya, but I just ain't allowed to say it.

It's ok to play on the green side. Who are we to tell the customer what they want? We can only suggest.

Tankless is for the homes that are going to last more than 5 years and also for the people that are going to be there that long or more.

Rick you don't need to keep telling me I am in the minority. I have an IQ of 156. I have been in the minority all my life. Just because we don't think the same means nothing.
          156 iq means absolutely nothing when it comes to plumbing. i've got 35 years in the field and no rocket scientists has held their ground when it comes to job smarts.

did i tell you that as a union apprentice, 4 year apprenticeship, i finished valedictorian of the 2 graduating classes. that was 1981-84 when i was in school. so guess what, your iq means nothing here.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

rick.
            You also obviously don't know jack about heating in COLD regions. As if this was a gas boiler, it would be in the 175,000 BTU range on the electric boiler I was speaking. Not the attorneys house. Don't get confused...I will do that enough for both of us.

Comment

156 iq means absolutely nothing when it comes to plumbing. i've got 35 years in the field and no rocket scientists has held their ground when it comes to job smarts.

did i tell you that as a union apprentice, 4 year apprenticeship, i finished valedictorian of the 2 graduating classes. that was 1981-84 when i was in school. so guess what, your iq means nothing here.

rick.
              Did I tell you I got my pilots license at the age of 16 and finished 3rd highest in history on the military flight screening test...most likely not

I don't expect my IQ to mean anything to you as you couldn't understand it anyway. What it means to me is I don't think inside the box and I have never been in the majority. My customers seem to like that little difference.

Comment

You both need to grow up and knock it of because I am tired of moderating.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark I am not going any further.

Comment

We put in 43 of them in condo units about 10 years ago. Every single unit has since been replaced with a Baxi Luna. Most were replaced because of the frustration with lack of hot water, fluctuating temperature and high operational cost. Several burned out the elements and quite a few leaked from the integral union fitting.
                    sigpic

Comment

NH what units where installed? I am guessing all were the same unit.

I don't know on the electric units if it is worth it or not.

The few electric units I put in were for wash basins in banks. They liked the choice of that unit over the stupid cost of a 6 gallon water heater.

Comment

Ok master think fast...how many kilowatts? I have the same type system on my attorneys home and it works fine. If it didn't? His wife would tell him and he would let me know.

I can play power too master in your own mind.

well either your statements are wrong, or your attorney lives in a tiny shack.

i'll assume since he's your customer that he lives in colorado. not exactly a warm gound water state.

so here is the link to a 120 amp 240 volt tankless electric heater.

http://www.heater-store.com/images_t...e125-specs.pdf

PowerStar
                        AE115 & AE125
                        Whole House Electric
                        Tankless Water Heaters
                        A perfect alternative to the electric tank water heater,
                        PowerStar electric tankless water heaters are designed
                        to replace a 40-gallon tank and provide endless hot
                        water throughout the home. With two powerful and
                        compact models to choose from – AE115 or AE125 – it
                        will fit just about anywhere and is built to last.
                        NOTE: This product has specific electric installation
                        requirements. See reverse side for more information.
                        PowerStar
                        AE115 & AE125

Whole house electric tankless water heaters.
                        BBT
                        NORTH AMERICA CORPORATION

Bosch Group
                        Bosch Water Heating
                        340 Mad River Park
                        Waitsfield, VT 05673
                        866.642.3199 • www.boschhotwater.com
                        Features
                        • Over 90% efficiency rating
                        • 10-year warranty on heat exchanger
                        • External temperature control knob
                        • Thermal cut-out for safety
                        • Flow sensor to provide a constant output temperature
                        • Electronic flow switch
                        • Provides an ENDLESS supply of hot water
                        • Weighs less than 25 pounds and fits virtually anywhere
                        • No temperature/pressure relief valve necessary in
                        most areas.
                        77799017/0307-J
                        Endless hot water for 1 major application at a time.
                        gpm: gallons per minute
                        NOTE: The unit will not provide an output temperature above 131˚F
                        * Minimum recommended service for the AE115 is 150 amps.
                        ** Minimum recommended service for the AE125 is 200 amps.
                        *In Canada unit must be wired to a single breaker. AE Canada Kit
                        required and included.
                        .90 .94
                        90% 94%
                        20 lbs. 22 lbs.
                        15 ½" x 15 ¼" x 4 ½" 15 ½" x 15 ¼" x 4 ½"
                        ¾" male NPT ¾" male NPT
                        240 240
                        17.25kW 26.85kW
                        80 (2X40 amps)* 120 (3X40 amps)**
                        80 (1X80 amps) 120 (1X120 amps)
                        8 gauge 8 gauge
                        (4 conductors & ground) (6 conductors & ground)
                        4 gauge 2 gauge
                        (2 conductors & ground)* (2 conductors & ground)*
                        Single Single
                        45˚F Rise 2.6 gpm 4.0 gpm
                        50˚F Rise 2.3 gpm 3.7 gpm
                        60˚F Rise 2.0 gpm 3.0 gpm
                        70˚F Rise 1.7 gpm 2.6 gpm
                        80˚F Rise 1.5 gpm 2.2 gpm

Energy Factor
                        Efficiency
                        Weight
                        Dimensions
                        Water Fittings
                        Volts
                        Kilowatts
                        U.S.A.
                        Canada
                        U.S.A.
                        Canada
                        Phase
                        Technical Specifications
                        MODEL AE115 AE125
                        ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS
                        MAXIMUM FLOW RATE AT GIVEN TEMPERATURE RISE
                        Average ground water temperature in the U.S. is 55˚F
                        Amps
                        Wire Size
                        AE125 Recommended
                        AE115 & AE125 Recommended
                        Model AE115 is not recommended in climates
                        where average ground water temperature is less
                        than 60˚F.
                        AE115 Interior AE125 Interior

this is the link copy if you don't want to go to the link. need to remember that the smaller unit is 80 amps and the larger unit is 120 amps which is what my customer has. so with a 60 degree rise in calif. they will only get 3 gpm.

please explain how a lawyer in colorado can survive with those numbers

10% of my customers are attorneys and the last thing i want is an upset customer who's an attorney

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

To be honest I have not been to a presentation yet where the Rep has not spent the majority of the time telling us why the wont work.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We have different units. Your charts are meaningful only to your unit. The description of the unit before was similar.

Even still, what kind of shower head do you have? Have you measured the gpm? What is the ground water temp? Where is the delta T for the unit for your area?

Comment

I have never had a customer stand up to have 3-phase pulled to the house.

That is why all my units are gas. They all have been happy as well.

Comment

I talked to a electrician at a electrical supply house about this and he told me the same thing "you are pulling way too much power to think your are saving any money you are kidding yourself ." He claimed that it is only effective if installed in a point of use application and a waste with whole house.

Comment

Working...
                                X