• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric tankless waterheaters

I am working on high dollar lake house remodel
    They don't want to spare the room for the 80 gal tank i unhooked
    The main house only has 3 baths all with new showers
    1 will have a shower & a claw foot soaker tub
    I would like to have 10 gals of hot water a min to keep up with the family peaks... Cost is not the problem , its function
    Would like a little input Thanks ron

Re: Electric tankless waterheaters

Start pulling 3-phase power

Comment

oh...sorry. That may change their minds. Because that is what its gonna take

Comment

I new that breaker box is close no problem

Comment

Then sizing is not an issue. Pick the best model available by your local supply house and get the gpm rating. Cut that number to 80% and divide by 10 gpm. There is the number of units you need in parallel.

Comment

I want them to have the water when they want it
            I was thinking 2 would work together to meet the demand

Comment

That depends on the max load of the unit.

Look at the coldest ground water of the year. Then take the difference of the temp desired. Say 70 delta T. Then put that into the performance chart of the unit you have available.

This is not a guess. If you have 50F water in Jan. and want 130F water then the delta T is 80. The manufacturer gives a chart that tells the gpm on that delta T. If it is 6gpm then 2 is good. If it is 4 gpm you need 3.

You don't want the unit running 100%. So give a 20% deration of the chart performance. That may require 4 units.

Comment

If you put in electric tankless water heaters your customer will hate your guts within 6 months. 1st because they will not give constant temperature hot water. 2nd because they will have to take a second job to pay the electric bill and 3rd because it (they) will fail within 5 years. talk them into putting the tank in a shed or outside somewhere.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  If you put in electric tankless water heaters your customer will hate your guts within 6 months. 1st because they will not give constant temperature hot water. 2nd because they will have to take a second job to pay the electric bill and 3rd because it (they) will fail within 5 years. talk them into putting the tank in a shed or outside somewhere.
                  NH please do tell.

Part of the deration of the unit is to compensate temperature fluctuation.

The unit does draw huge amounts of power during operation, but nothing in between. Is there no tank storage compensation?

How many have you installed and what failure rate have you seen?

I have only put in a couple single source electric units and they have worked flawless. All of my whole house units have been gas.

Sizing is one thing but experience is another.

Comment

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not a tankless water heater fan at all.

In the right situation, I think tankless is right for residential ( custom showers that use lot's of GPM).

I personally believe tankless is meant for light commercial on up to heavy commercial.

The only thing I like about tankless is..it's not heating water you're not using.

If it were me, I'd rather have a boiler with a phase 3, and circulate the hot side.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not a tankless water heater fan at all.

In the right situation, I think tankless is right for residential ( custom showers that use lot's of GPM).

I personally believe tankless is meant for light commercial on up to heavy commercial.

The only thing I like about tankless is..it's not heating water you're not using.

If it were me, I'd rather have a boiler with a phase 3, and circulate the hot side.
                      flux, welcome to the forum

but now i know you have not been doing your required reading

you are not in the minority about tankless. you are with the majority

your assignment is to read an entire chapter and write a book report before school resumes tuesday. have a nice 4th.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        flux, welcome to the forum

but now i know you have not been doing your required reading

you are not in the minority about tankless. you are with the majority

your assignment is to read an entire chapter and write a book report before school resumes tuesday. have a nice 4th.

rick.
                        The master has spoken

Tankless has its place and customer. We don't all pay $9 a month for gas. Your customers needs and wants come first.
                        Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-02-2010, 11:09 PM. Reason: additional note

Comment

now back to an electric tankless

forget the 3 phase, you need a nuclear power plant next door.

the 1 and only tankless whole house electric i've worked on was fortunately for a 1 bathroom condo. their wall was right on the other side of the buildings main service panel. if i'm not mistaking, it was a set of 6- 40 amp breakers. 120 amps 240 volts.

i know that the unit puts out just enough for a shower. not much more. the only reason they went tankless was the space savings. defiantly not the money savings.

better check with the electricians before you commit to a whole house electric. chances are they will need a new panel and probably a new drop from the pole.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            now back to an electric tankless

forget the 3 phase, you need a nuclear power plant next door.

the 1 and only tankless whole house electric i've worked on was fortunately for a 1 bathroom condo. their wall was right on the other side of the buildings main service panel. if i'm not mistaking, it was a set of 6- 60 amp breakers.

i know that the unit puts out just enough for a shower. not much more. the only reason they went tankless was the space savings. defiantly not the money savings.

better check with the electricians before you commit to a whole house electric. chances are they will need a new panel and probably a new drop from the pole.

rick.
                            I have electric boilers that heat Colorado homes with less power than that. Are you sure of the capacity of that unit? It sounds like something was hooked up wrong or the unit had a failure you missed. Was something turned off in the sub-panel?

Oh sorry I figured your electric bill was nearly free in CA too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                              The master has spoken

Tankless has its place and customer. We don't all pay $9 a month for gas. Your customers needs and wants come first.
                              guess what, you need to read more of the past post as there is a mass majority here that don't recommend tankless. 1 of my supply houses are approx 25% tankless as of the other day when i inquired. even the branch manager is on record that the tankless are overrated.

the new hybrid has some good potential but at $1600. for the unit, it's still not going to have a payback in it's lifetime.

of my 1500 customers, i've installed 2 plus 1 for myself and have fixed dozens. i do have a bid for 1 next week. but that's because they want the cabinet space in the kitchen and can't install a water heater shed outside.

fortunately their gas meter is 5' away and i have plenty of gal pipe in stock

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X