X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive!

I couldn't believe it. I got a call to isolate a leaking solar water heater that was one of 10. I got there and they all looked like the one in the picture and were all leaking! This one actually had ferns growing out of it! I called the property manager and asked which one of the leaking water heaters did they want me to isolate... They said which ever leaks the worst. Being as they are all the same age and leaked about the same I just closed my eyes and pointed. The system also had solar panels with very odd connectors that I have never seen on solar panels before either. They almost look like small victaulic fittings. One of the connectors leaked and I couldn't cut the connector off and sweat a fitting on because it was an odd size like 7/8 or 13/16 or metric . I soaked the rubber in PB Blaster and reconnected it, it dripped but wasn't as bad. Gave them a price to replace the whole system. Interesting call to say the least.

Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Re: It's Alive!

i think i still have 1 customer left with a working solar domestic system.

the original installations from the 70's were pretty much installed for tax credits. couldn't see the savings here once you add in the replacement cost of pumps, tanks. controllers, and panels.

not to mention the cost associated with a new roof and removing the panels, installing the panels.

natural gas is very cheap out here. ground water is relatively warm. savings never added up.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, almost every house here has solar hot water heating being as there is sun 350 of 365 days of the year. The savings do add up if you have a large family and being that Hawaii has the most expensive electricity rates in the country and there is no natural gas here. The state and local utilities used to give tax credits but not anymore. Any new house however is required to have the solar piping roughed in.
      Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
      Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

I live in a place that has a 35 year old solar hot water system.

Little to no good in the winter, but provides nearly endless hot water in the summer.

It preheats the water starting about April, full water heating by mid june.

After researching and pricing solar systems, this system is the exception, not the rule.

But, they have their place, like so many other products.

Comment

Working...
        X