• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you could go back??

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    radar, what the heck burns when it's snow and ice everywhere

rick.
    Structure fires are actually alot more common in the winter.

DIY is a favorite pastime here, so lots of heating appliance problems, smoked wiring from electric heaters, improperly install/malfunctioning heat trace.

The snow and ice, just make it harder to fight it.

Comment

My Dad is a retired New York City Fireman. He had his share of co-workers die on the job. Some quick others not so quick.

My cousin had major lung problems from Sept 11. Still working.

Dad could have gotten me on the job, I did not want it. I saw him go to to many wakes and visit too many hospitals. There are no OSHA rules. There is an old fireman saying, "If you have to go in you go in." They leave off you do not have to come out.

The benifits are great, if they were not, why would anyone do it.

Comment

There are no OSHA rules.
        I don't know that that is completely true. I think in most cases firemen would be government employees whether full time paid or volunteer. Regardless they work for the municipality, county, or state and as such would fall under whatever the state safety regulations are I would think. In NJ (and probably many other states) all government employees, regardless of the level of government, fall under the PEOSHA (Public Employees OSHA), all private entities fall under Federal OSHA here, in California it would be CALOSH. Anyway, the federal law (Occupational Safety & Health Act of 1970) says that all must be covered by some safety program.
        Section 18(c)(6) of the OSH Act provides that the State, to the extent permitted by its law, shall under its plan establish and maintain an effective and comprehensive occupational safety and health program applicable to all employees of the State and its political subdivisions. Only where a State is constitutionally precluded from regulating occupational safety and health conditions in certain political subdivisions may the State exclude such political subdivision employees from coverage (29 CFR 1956.2(c)(1)). Further, the State may not exclude any occupational, industrial or hazard grouping from coverage under its plan unless OSHA finds that the State has shown there is no necessity for such coverage (29 CFR 1956.2(c)(2)).

full citation
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Everyone wants to be a fireman... I would probably have been a cop. I took the test, and interview a couple years ago but decided that the hours and the job itself would be too hard on my marriage. In high school I wanted to be an Aviator but girls and surf got in the way of grades so Embry Riddle didn't work out. I do think however that learning plumbing was one of the best things I could have ever done. I don't plan on doing it for more than 20 years... just long enough to build a successful company, sell it (hopefully) and move on to something else. Prop trading sounds like fun .
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Shoulda, Woulda Coulda....hate this crap, but............

I would've stayed with the Hells Angels. When I was 18, I was connected and in line, but blew it over some really hard drugs---I was too high a risk being too high all the time.

I was invited to other clubs, but I started plumbing and that was plenty for me. By the way, the HA invited years later, but I smartened up.

To answer the helper's question: no. I did well the last 30 years in the trade. I've been the boss for 20 years and it all worked out.

Luck to you and never look back. Life is a forward motion machine, just like a bike..............................

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
              Everyone wants to be a fireman... I would probably have been a cop. I took the test, and interview a couple years ago but decided that the hours and the job itself would be too hard on my marriage. In high school I wanted to be an Aviator but girls and surf got in the way of grades so Embry Riddle didn't work out. I do think however that learning plumbing was one of the best things I could have ever done. I don't plan on doing it for more than 20 years... just long enough to build a successful company, sell it (hopefully) and move on to something else. Prop trading sounds like fun .
              I can relate to you about Embry-Riddle as I also spent a year there enjoying the beach. Now I just enjoy taking weekend trips in the plane owned by the club that I belong to and work during the week to afford it.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                heres something a little off topic. i've been in the trade now for five years and i'm still young but i got to thinking. can i really imagine doing this for the next thirty years of my life. i like the pipe trades, some parts more than others. i'd much rather be fitting and welding but around here, while fitting pays a little more, its usually plumbing that keeps you working. anyway my question is, if you could go back, knowing what you know now, what trade or profession would you take a crack at. i'm bustin my balls trying to think of something i could do for the rest of my life and enjoy. not really coming up with anything where the money will be comparable. took a crack at college and managed to get a degree in mixology so i don't think i'd try that again.
                In my opinion, with current trends, I would encourage anyone in any of the trades to get as much education and licensing as possible before age 25. Then get completely out of the private sector of the business as their primary occupation.

J.C.

Comment

I want the job that earns me as much money as possible while doing the least amount of work in the smallest amount of time....

I guess I need a government job Maybe something in the Obama administration....

Comment

BEEN THERE DONE THAT ! AND HAVE THE PICTURES

TO PROVE IT !

I STARTED AS A FIREMAN BUT THEN THEY

DISCOVERED I HAD A HEARING PROBLEM SO I HAD

TO CHANGE CAREERS AGAIN!

ASK TO BE TRAINED AS A ELECTRICIAN BUT THE

U. S. A. F. DECIDED I WOULD MAKE A BETTER

PLUMBER,

SO I AM A PLUMBER THAT DOES ELECTRICAL,

AND FIRE SPRINKLERS

SNAKE ANY DRAIN, PLUMB ANY PIPES, MAKE COLD WATER BOIL ON A FREEZING

DAY, AND CAN LIGHT UP YOUR LIFE !
                    Last edited by JERRYMAC; 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM.
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

AFM,

so let me make sure i understand what your saying. you would rather me continue living my life as i am ,(which is by no means terrible) and then wake up at 50 and realize that maybe i havn't left the legacy i wanted to or maybe havnt accomplished everything i feel i'm capable of. and when i wake up that morning i will remember your post and feel like an idiot for listening to your ignorance. i love this trade and everything that it has taught me will be with me for life, i'm able to provide for my family and come home every night, so theres nothing to complain about. which i wasn't doing in the first place. but according to you i should live a life of complacency and just accept the fact that this is it for me. i sure as hell hope you don't ever decide to become a motivational speaker. by your way of thinking everyone just needs to accept who they are and deal with it. your a drunk or a junkie, but's its okay, you don't want to live your life with regret so just accept it. it's possible i misunderstood what your saying and if thats the case than i apologize.

i only have one thing to say about the firefighting profession. let's just pretend for a second that your station only gets one fire a month. so thats twelve fires a year, of those twelve fires only six involve you actually have to enter the building or whatever, while its on fire. now lets say that out of those six fires only three of them actually get a little hairy and your life may be in danger. so that is three times a year where you have possibly risked your life for someone else. now assume that you are a 25 year veteran of the station, so that means that you have risked your own personal well being 75 times all for what. to protect the lives and property of people that you have never before and will probably never meet again.
                      now i don't know about you guys but in my twenty five years on this earth i can't think of one time where i have ever really risked my life for someone elses. my point is this, i agree that it may not be the most physically demanding job in the world but i highly doubt that the majority of firefighters got into it because they thought it was a cakewalk. i'd say most of them are either passionate about helping others or are adrenaline junkies. either way i don't see where anyone can get off talking bad about a profession that requires you to risk you life for the sake of another. i dare anyone of you to relay your true feelings to the families or the fellow firefighters that lost their lives during 9/11.

Comment

Hiler---what the hell you on about anyway? Why the **** are you worry about when you wake up at 50? The only 50s that I know who do the "coulda-shoulda-woulda" thing are fat whiny crybabies. Are you a fat whiny crybaby, Hiler?

Firemen are fairies. Their occupation is so far down on the "most dangerous job" list, electricians are above them. Around here, most are volunteers because nobody wants to pay them. Hell, I can drive to the hospital faster than they can get here.

The firemen who died on 9/11 weren't being heroes. Their radios weren't receiving the Retreat Call, so they didn't know the danger they were in. BUT they are paid to take the risks and paid well for it. The civilians who died on 9/11 are the real victims.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                          AFM,

so let me make sure i understand what your saying. you would rather me continue living my life as i am ,(which is by no means terrible) and then wake up at 50 and realize that maybe i havn't left the legacy i wanted to or maybe havnt accomplished everything i feel i'm capable of. and when i wake up that morning i will remember your post and feel like an idiot for listening to your ignorance. i love this trade and everything that it has taught me will be with me for life, i'm able to provide for my family and come home every night, so theres nothing to complain about. which i wasn't doing in the first place. but according to you i should live a life of complacency and just accept the fact that this is it for me. i sure as hell hope you don't ever decide to become a motivational speaker. by your way of thinking everyone just needs to accept who they are and deal with it. your a drunk or a junkie, but's its okay, you don't want to live your life with regret so just accept it. it's possible i misunderstood what your saying and if thats the case than i apologize.

i only have one thing to say about the firefighting profession. let's just pretend for a second that your station only gets one fire a month. so thats twelve fires a year, of those twelve fires only six involve you actually have to enter the building or whatever, while its on fire. now lets say that out of those six fires only three of them actually get a little hairy and your life may be in danger. so that is three times a year where you have possibly risked your life for someone else. now assume that you are a 25 year veteran of the station, so that means that you have risked your own personal well being 75 times all for what. to protect the lives and property of people that you have never before and will probably never meet again.
                          now i don't know about you guys but in my twenty five years on this earth i can't think of one time where i have ever really risked my life for someone elses. my point is this, i agree that it may not be the most physically demanding job in the world but i highly doubt that the majority of firefighters got into it because they thought it was a cakewalk. i'd say most of them are either passionate about helping others or are adrenaline junkies. either way i don't see where anyone can get off talking bad about a profession that requires you to risk you life for the sake of another. i dare anyone of you to relay your true feelings to the families or the fellow firefighters that lost their lives during 9/11.
                          The fact that you question your occupation and direction shows some degree of dissatisfaction. I think what some are conveying is to do something about it. Don't like plumbing, do something else. Most people have the ability to do anything. They just don't apply themselves through the obstacles that will always become present along the way.

But remember this: Everybody thinks the next guy is getting rich or has a better life. They just have different problems.

As I've told some that have helped me when the obstacles arise and they complain:

"I beg your pardon, I never promised you a m'fing rose garden."

As far as Fireman, I stand 100% by my first post relating to the subject. I can only speak for the ones of my area. They do get into it because of the cakewalk. The trucks almost never leave. Fires are very rare.

And I'd be willing to bet that Plumbers have saved, and will continue to save, many more lives than all the Fireman combined ever will.

Good luck if you keep doing what you currently do, or if you decide to take a different path. You can do anything. Just have to be willing to handle the sacrifices along the way and decide if it's worth it.

J.C.

Comment

I would be a heavy equipment operator or a pastor! Nothing better and more fun than running a backhoe or other big toys. A guy used to be able to make a descent living on it. As far a as a pastor, I know some of you guys are laughing right now but I really get my kicks out of helping people and enjoy teaching the bible.

Comment

still willing to trade my 35 years of plumbing to be a fireman

anyone want to trade

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

FOR THOSE WHO DISRESPECT FIREFIGHTERS AND
                                WHAT THEY DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIREMAN KILLED IN LINE OF DUTY SO FAR IN 2010

Fatality Notices

Your search returned 40 fatality notices.
                                Firefighter's Name City, State Date of Death Araguz III, Thomas Wharton, Texas 07/03/2010 Fouts, V, Frank William Kankakee, Illinois 07/01/2010 Brown, Jay C. Eastman, Georgia 06/27/2010 Bauermeister, Chet Mesa, Washington 06/23/2010 Davis, Scott W. Oswego, New York 06/20/2010 Schneider Jr., Donald A. Belleville, Wisconsin 05/29/2010 Meusel, Kurt Scales Mound, Illinois 05/22/2010 Curlin, David Pine Bluff, Arkansas 05/22/2010 Glaser, John Shawnee, Kansas 05/22/2010 IRR, David Yuma, Arizona 05/22/2010 Johnson, Paul Fort Cobb, Oklahoma 05/19/2010 Caldwell, Donnie Ghent, West Virginia 05/13/2010 Polimine, John Windber, Pennsylvania 05/01/2010 Crannell, Steven Scott Guthrie Center, Iowa 04/22/2010 Iaccino, Vincent Hyde Park, New York 04/12/2010 Loomis, Garrett Sackets Harbor, New York 04/11/2010 Reed, Sr., Harold Peru, Kansas 04/11/2010 Schaper, Donald E Gainsville, Missouri 04/09/2010 Powell, Leo Lucasville, Ohio 04/03/2010 Teare, Edward Independence, Ohio 03/31/2010 Robinson, Dennis Tucson, Arizona 03/31/2010 Carey, Brian Homewood, Illinois 03/30/2010 Moore, John P. Columbus, Ohio 03/29/2010 Bolick, Jeremy Blowing Rock, North Carolina 03/21/2010 Wright, Tommy Blowing Rock, North Carolina 03/21/2010 Adkins, Donald "Donnie" Glasgow, West Virginia 03/13/2010 Swan, Kevin Beacon Falls, Connecticut 03/10/2010 Marcheterre, Gerard Skaneateles, New York 03/06/2010 Rowe, Brian West Fork, Maine 03/05/2010 Waynant, Sr., Brian P. Wilmington, Delaware 03/01/2010 Siemers, Jonathan Clay Center, Kansas 02/21/2010 Mellott, Donald G. Woolrich, Pennsylvania 02/12/2010 Giles, Stanley L. Linn Valley, Kansas 02/10/2010 Coyle, John Priest River, Idaho 02/08/2010 Sandy, Henry Batesville, Arkansas 01/26/2010 Cannon, Terry Louisville, Kentucky 01/17/2010 McCafferty, Joseph Mack Lancaster, Ohio 01/16/2010 Thompson, Jerry Union, Mississippi 01/14/2010 Kemp, Leroy Tioga Center, New York 01/13/2010 Eck, Urban A. Wichita, Kansas 01/02/2010
                                Last Updated: July 7, 2010
                                U.S. Fire Administration, 16825 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, MD 21727
                                (301) 447-1000 Fax: (301) 447-1346 Admissions Fax: (301) 447-1441
                                JERRYMAC
                                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                                X