• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you could go back??

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    still willing to trade my 35 years of plumbing to be a fireman

anyone want to trade

rick.
    See, nobody loves plumbing more than Rick does. And even he is willing to give it all up to be glorified, sit on his azz, and collect salary and benefits from your tax money.

Of course, he would still have the majority of his time free to do plumbing or whatever else he wanted.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
      FOR THOSE WHO DISRESPECT FIREFIGHTERS AND
      WHAT THEY DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIREMAN KILLED IN LINE OF DUTY SO FAR IN 2010

Fatality Notices

Your search returned 40 fatality notices.
      Firefighter's Name City, State Date of Death Araguz III, Thomas Wharton, Texas 07/03/2010 Fouts, V, Frank William Kankakee, Illinois 07/01/2010 Brown, Jay C. Eastman, Georgia 06/27/2010 Bauermeister, Chet Mesa, Washington 06/23/2010 Davis, Scott W. Oswego, New York 06/20/2010 Schneider Jr., Donald A. Belleville, Wisconsin 05/29/2010 Meusel, Kurt Scales Mound, Illinois 05/22/2010 Curlin, David Pine Bluff, Arkansas 05/22/2010 Glaser, John Shawnee, Kansas 05/22/2010 IRR, David Yuma, Arizona 05/22/2010 Johnson, Paul Fort Cobb, Oklahoma 05/19/2010 Caldwell, Donnie Ghent, West Virginia 05/13/2010 Polimine, John Windber, Pennsylvania 05/01/2010 Crannell, Steven Scott Guthrie Center, Iowa 04/22/2010 Iaccino, Vincent Hyde Park, New York 04/12/2010 Loomis, Garrett Sackets Harbor, New York 04/11/2010 Reed, Sr., Harold Peru, Kansas 04/11/2010 Schaper, Donald E Gainsville, Missouri 04/09/2010 Powell, Leo Lucasville, Ohio 04/03/2010 Teare, Edward Independence, Ohio 03/31/2010 Robinson, Dennis Tucson, Arizona 03/31/2010 Carey, Brian Homewood, Illinois 03/30/2010 Moore, John P. Columbus, Ohio 03/29/2010 Bolick, Jeremy Blowing Rock, North Carolina 03/21/2010 Wright, Tommy Blowing Rock, North Carolina 03/21/2010 Adkins, Donald "Donnie" Glasgow, West Virginia 03/13/2010 Swan, Kevin Beacon Falls, Connecticut 03/10/2010 Marcheterre, Gerard Skaneateles, New York 03/06/2010 Rowe, Brian West Fork, Maine 03/05/2010 Waynant, Sr., Brian P. Wilmington, Delaware 03/01/2010 Siemers, Jonathan Clay Center, Kansas 02/21/2010 Mellott, Donald G. Woolrich, Pennsylvania 02/12/2010 Giles, Stanley L. Linn Valley, Kansas 02/10/2010 Coyle, John Priest River, Idaho 02/08/2010 Sandy, Henry Batesville, Arkansas 01/26/2010 Cannon, Terry Louisville, Kentucky 01/17/2010 McCafferty, Joseph Mack Lancaster, Ohio 01/16/2010 Thompson, Jerry Union, Mississippi 01/14/2010 Kemp, Leroy Tioga Center, New York 01/13/2010 Eck, Urban A. Wichita, Kansas 01/02/2010
      Last Updated: July 7, 2010
      U.S. Fire Administration, 16825 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, MD 21727
      (301) 447-1000 Fax: (301) 447-1346 Admissions Fax: (301) 447-1441
      Nobody deserves to go before their time and thanks for any service performed.

Now click on the names for details of some of the situations. I did NOT click them all but the ones I did could be considered non-work related. They possibly would have met similar fate in other occupations. Many heart attacks listed at younger ages. Wonder about their physical conditioning?

NOT to discount those that are definitely work related. RIP.

J.C.
      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-12-2010, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
        AFM,

so let me make sure i understand what your saying. you would rather me continue living my life as i am ,(which is by no means terrible) and then wake up at 50 and realize that maybe i havn't left the legacy i wanted to or maybe havnt accomplished everything i feel i'm capable of. and when i wake up that morning i will remember your post and feel like an idiot for listening to your ignorance. i love this trade and everything that it has taught me will be with me for life, i'm able to provide for my family and come home every night, so theres nothing to complain about. which i wasn't doing in the first place. but according to you i should live a life of complacency and just accept the fact that this is it for me. i sure as hell hope you don't ever decide to become a motivational speaker. by your way of thinking everyone just needs to accept who they are and deal with it. your a drunk or a junkie, but's its okay, you don't want to live your life with regret so just accept it. it's possible i misunderstood what your saying and if thats the case than i apologize.

i only have one thing to say about the firefighting profession. let's just pretend for a second that your station only gets one fire a month. so thats twelve fires a year, of those twelve fires only six involve you actually have to enter the building or whatever, while its on fire. now lets say that out of those six fires only three of them actually get a little hairy and your life may be in danger. so that is three times a year where you have possibly risked your life for someone else. now assume that you are a 25 year veteran of the station, so that means that you have risked your own personal well being 75 times all for what. to protect the lives and property of people that you have never before and will probably never meet again.
        now i don't know about you guys but in my twenty five years on this earth i can't think of one time where i have ever really risked my life for someone elses. my point is this, i agree that it may not be the most physically demanding job in the world but i highly doubt that the majority of firefighters got into it because they thought it was a cakewalk. i'd say most of them are either passionate about helping others or are adrenaline junkies. either way i don't see where anyone can get off talking bad about a profession that requires you to risk you life for the sake of another. i dare anyone of you to relay your true feelings to the families or the fellow firefighters that lost their lives during 9/11.
        Your the one that brought this subject up your the one not satisfied and your the one asking our advice and when we give it we are abused by you,
        and if you are going to spend your life wondering if then good luck as you never will be satisfied.
        I`m nearly 62 and what ever opinions I have your not going to listen to as I didn`t listen when I was your age so have a great life at whatever you chose and when you are 62 remember what I am telling you now as I was told when I was 25.

Tony

Comment

Been doing Plumbing since I was 12, in the family business. I really wanted to go to College and then get into Law Enforcement, specifically U.S. Marshall's.

Pop kind of "dream squashed" those ideas and said it's either the Military or plumbing. So I said the military and went straight to Desert Storm instead.

The trades are for young men, and being 37 years now, I feel as though I have another 20 good years in this body, before it really goes south.

I'll be doing Plumbing till the day I drop most likely, but when I hit my 50's, I'll be down to service only. No more additions, custom homes, or anything big.

I don't want a big company, because I don't want the headaches that come with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Nobody deserves to go before their time and thanks for any service performed.

Now click on the names for details of some of the situations. I did NOT click them all but the ones I did could be considered non-work related. They possibly would have met similar fate in other occupations. Many heart attacks listed at younger ages. Wonder about their physical conditioning?

NOT to discount those that are definitely work related. RIP.

J.C.
            <SNIFF>
            I love this guy...

Very close to as much as my closest buddies who are employed by the Ventura or L.A.Fire.Who by the way are also able to take a friendly razzing.

Comment

AFM,

go and read my original post please. i never once asked for your advice. i'm a big boy now and am capable of making my own decisions regardless of how well they work out most of the time. all i asked is what YOU would do. just trying to start conversation my friend.

Comment

You want numbers. How many people working at their regular job have died this year? Some of them while they were saving lives too.

5,214 workers died on the job in 2008

"With every one of these fatalities, the lives of a worker's family members were shattered and forever changed. We can't forget that fact."
                -Hilda Solis, Secretary of Labor

Weekly Reports of Fatalities, Catastrophes, and Other Events

Regional Federal and State Fatality/Catastrophes, Weekly Report Ending May 29, 2010

742 fatalities from 10/1/2009 to 5/29/2010
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  <SNIFF>
                  I love this guy...

Very close to as much as my closest buddies who are employed by the Ventura or L.A.Fire.Who by the way are also able to take a friendly razzing.
                  How come I'm thinking you hands ain't dirty from working?

Firemen in So Cal are drama queens. Shoot, everyone in So Cal are drama queens---must be all those bad actors, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    You want numbers. How many people working at their regular job have died this year? Some of them while they were saving lives too.

5,214 workers died on the job in 2008

"With every one of these fatalities, the lives of a worker's family members were shattered and forever changed. We can't forget that fact."
                    -Hilda Solis, Secretary of Labor

Weekly Reports of Fatalities, Catastrophes, and Other Events

Regional Federal and State Fatality/Catastrophes, Weekly Report Ending May 29, 2010

742 fatalities from 10/1/2009 to 5/29/2010
                    Yeah, like roofers, fishermen, etc, etc. Firemen are most likely to die from heart attacks from all that easy living----its a fact.

Comment

Maybe they do have alot of down time, but I live in a small mountain town that is threatened almost every year, and they are HERE when we need them, and they are very good at what they do. Several years ago we lost five firefighters in the Esperanza Fire trying to save properties and the community up here.
                      The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X