X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could go back??

heres something a little off topic. i've been in the trade now for five years and i'm still young but i got to thinking. can i really imagine doing this for the next thirty years of my life. i like the pipe trades, some parts more than others. i'd much rather be fitting and welding but around here, while fitting pays a little more, its usually plumbing that keeps you working. anyway my question is, if you could go back, knowing what you know now, what trade or profession would you take a crack at. i'm bustin my balls trying to think of something i could do for the rest of my life and enjoy. not really coming up with anything where the money will be comparable. took a crack at college and managed to get a degree in mixology so i don't think i'd try that again.

Re: If you could go back??

If you ain't a plumber you are NOTHING!
    sigpic

Comment

I went to college for an Internet Technology degree. screw that, I'd rather be plumbing.

i'm Hoping that by the time i've been doing this for 20 years or so my job revolves more around wrangling employees and bidding than lifting water heaters.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i remember this conversation when i was an apprentice. the foreman asked me if i really wanted to be a plumber

that was 30 years ago so the answer was yes

but if i had an opportunity to have been a firefighter, i would have taken that in a heartbeat.

took 6 years just to get my postcard for a test date back in the mail

i did manage to have dinner at the firehouse 2 weeks ago

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Eh... without plumbers plumbing hydrants there would be no firemen
          sigpic

Comment

so what did they call the guy back in the day that ran to the fire with a bucket of water? a plumber? and the guys with the torches for light were the electricians.

funny you should mention that rick, i looked into the local fire department training program last night. the majority of my family on my dads side is in law enforcement and i have to uncles on my moms side that are volunteer fire fighters. definitely something i'm thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Eh... without plumbers plumbing hydrants there would be no firemen
              some parts of the fire service area I used to volunteer in were over 10 miles to a hydrant

in fact, the only "hydrants" we had, were buried tanks and electric pumps

of course fire hydraullics calculations were easier to learn since I already knew a little about plumbing at that point

Comment

If you are going to build your life on an if, if I did this or if I did that then you are not going to go anywhere as you will have a life of regret and a wasted life at that so forget it and get on with your life.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
                  some parts of the fire service area I used to volunteer in were over 10 miles to a hydrant

in fact, the only "hydrants" we had, were buried tanks and electric pumps

of course fire hydraullics calculations were easier to learn since I already knew a little about plumbing at that point
                  radar, what the heck burns when it's snow and ice everywhere

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Standup Comic.

Now some of you get ready to get pissed. I would be embarrassed to be a Fireman. At least here in Nunya. (Don't know about everywhere else. It may be a super tough and noble job elsewhere.)

The system here is this: Who you know, who you're related too, or what politics you're willing to play. Nothing to do with who's the best for the job. I've seen guys hold bbq's for all the fireman that they are trying to get hired on at.

Why? Why would someone want to breath smoke & risk their lives for so little? Could it be because it's their dream since they were kids? Don't think so. From all I've seen, it's because it's so easy here, held in high regard, and well benefitted.

Starting pay last I heard was about 36k. Not that much. Buuuutttt.....

They are full state benefitted. No insurance worries whatsoever.
                    The schedule is 1 day on, 3 days off. That means if they go in at 5p.m., they stay there and must answer all calls directed towards them until the next day at 5p.m.

After that, they are off for the next 3 days. So you know what's happened?

Almost all of them went into the building trades as a second job because they have so much extra time on their hands.

At the local firehouse you can:

Get your footing dug and poured.
                    Get all of your brickwork done.
                    Get your electrical work done.
                    Get your framing done.
                    Get your painting done.
                    Get your septic system installed.
                    Get the carpentry/trimwork done.
                    Get your HVAC installed.
                    And last I heard, someone was trying to do plumbing.

All of the "fulltime subs" here feel like it's an unfair bidding advantage because they have no insurance worries plus at least 36k guaranteed for little effort. And that is HUGE.

Finally, I'm sure I don't know everything that goes on as I'm not there all of the time. I did, however take a class there two nights a week for 9 weeks+-(can't remember the exact weeks) It just happened to be an English class that the Firemen needed as part of their training and I happened to be taking that class as part of another curriculum.

Two nights a week, 3 hours each night, 9 week class.....and the trucks didn't leave.

Maybe I'm jealous.........but I would be a little embarrassed to be one.

At least here.

J.C.

Comment

I think I made the right choice for plumbing being a profession but made some poor life choices that I wish I could've changed. Wasted a lot of money early on in life that I wish I had now.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Standup Comic.

Now some of you get ready to get pissed. I would be embarrassed to be a Fireman. At least here in Nunya. (Don't know about everywhere else. It may be a super tough and noble job elsewhere.)

The system here is this: Who you know, who you're related too, or what politics you're willing to play. Nothing to do with who's the best for the job. I've seen guys hold bbq's for all the fireman that they are trying to get hired on at.

Why? Why would someone want to breath smoke & risk their lives for so little? Could it be because it's their dream since they were kids? Don't think so. From all I've seen, it's because it's so easy here, held in high regard, and well benefitted.

Starting pay last I heard was about 36k. Not that much. Buuuutttt.....

They are full state benefitted. No insurance worries whatsoever.
                        The schedule is 1 day on, 3 days off. That means if they go in at 5p.m., they stay there and must answer all calls directed towards them until the next day at 5p.m.

After that, they are off for the next 3 days. So you know what's happened?

Almost all of them went into the building trades as a second job because they have so much extra time on their hands.

At the local firehouse you can:

Get your footing dug and poured.
                        Get all of your brickwork done.
                        Get your electrical work done.
                        Get your framing done.
                        Get your painting done.
                        Get your septic system installed.
                        Get the carpentry/trimwork done.
                        Get your HVAC installed.
                        And last I heard, someone was trying to do plumbing.

All of the "fulltime subs" here feel like it's an unfair bidding advantage because they have no insurance worries plus at least 36k guaranteed for little effort. And that is HUGE.

Finally, I'm sure I don't know everything that goes on as I'm not there all of the time. I did, however take a class there two nights a week for 9 weeks+-(can't remember the exact weeks) It just happened to be an English class that the Firemen needed as part of their training and I happened to be taking that class as part of another curriculum.

Two nights a week, 3 hours each night, 9 week class.....and the trucks didn't leave.

Maybe I'm jealous.........but I would be a little embarrassed to be one.

At least here.

J.C.
                        I want to be able to nominate a post of the week Here!!!

Don't forget 85% annual income/plus whatever injuries they can scrape up(Back,knees,shoulders) for retirement.Doesn't matter that they hurt their back working their guys at the framing company they can run on those five days a week off.

$85,000 - $110,000 out here.

My mailman friend wants to know why chicks don't lift their shirts at his mailtruck
                        like they do when a firetruck goes by.

My girlfriend's brother's a firetruck engineer
                        I have many firefighter friends,multiple captains and even a chief.
                        Them boys are spoiled.
                        Couldn't say any of them have a mean bone in their body.Nice people.

Still spoiled with the trophy wives,boats and motorhomes.
                        Got a friend I grew up with.Not exactly mr.personality.We all laugh,if it weren't for the department he would still be an unmarried virgin.
                        You should see the flesh that throw themselves at him.

So me...
                        I'd be a Fireman

Adam

Comment

Mojo
                          I went to school for a C.S. degree. I started plumbing to pay for it. I found out that I enjoyed getting the heat back on, hot water back on, unplugging that line, etc. far more than sitting in front of a monitor, reviewing hexadecimal code.
                          Hiler 411
                          Do what you enjoy.
                          Mike
                          Last edited by myakka; 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Im new here but I couldnt help but give my 2 cents. JC your correct 100 percent. I was a vol. fireman for several years even recieved a degree from LSU on the subject. It is probable one of the most do nothing jobs there is. Sure once in a blue moon theres a fire. But its not like years ago back in the 30's, 40's and 50's when there were fires all the time. Mostly do to fireplaces. My father would tell me he would see burning ash coming from chimney's all the time as a kid. But thats not the case anymore. Today fires are rare. For the most part the paid fireman (in my area)not the volunteer who has someother job. Goes to work for 24 hours from 5am to 5am the next morning. Then there off for three days. There job while on duty (provide theres no call outs) (Rarity) is to make sure trucks are clean by (community service workers), make sure building is clean by (community service workers), They sometime cook there own food. Rest of there time is watching TV or sitting out front watching the cars go by. Most get a second job in construction to make the real money. But what get's me the most is every year they complain they need more money. And sure enough every year its on the ballot box. AND IT PASS'S. It just blows my mind. So I'd say the most lazyest jobs would be fireman or politician. Both are pretty layed back.
                            P.S.: Without electrican the water pumps don't pump water. LOL
                            Goose............

Comment

If I could go back... i'd have joined the union years ago

around here, it's ALOT harder to get licensed without the union

Comment

Working...
                              X