john wood tco problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john wood tco problem

Hi. I worked on a 2.5 year old JW40 last week with FVIR. The tco had opened and i decided to replace it with a new one. Before doing that, i thoroughly clean the the flame arrester grill from the top and bottem. Shook out and vacuumed the burner since it was out and vacuumed the inside combustion chamber and the outsides. A week later the tco opened again and after resetting it, it opend again before hitting the set temperature. Have i missed something in handling this service call? Your advice is appreciated. There is no piping brought in for combustion air but i felt that might not be it as this is the first tco problem they are having.

Re: john wood tco problem

Did you take draft readings above and below?

Did you check gas pressure at the valve and at the manifold
    sigpic

Comment

I'm leaning towards this.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

Did you check gas pressure at the valve and at the manifold
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

BOY ARE YOU GOING TO LOVE THIS !

GOOGLE; AMERICAN WATER HEATER " FLAME GUARD "

MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY THAT MAKES JOHN WOOD

IN CANADA ! G.S.W. OWNED BY A.O. SMITH WATER

PRODUCTS COMPANY

PH.D IN WATER HEATEROLGY
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
          Hi. I worked on a 2.5 year old JW40 last week with FVIR. The tco had opened and i decided to replace it with a new one. Before doing that, i thoroughly clean the the flame arrester grill from the top and bottem. Shook out and vacuumed the burner since it was out and vacuumed the inside combustion chamber and the outsides. A week later the tco opened again and after resetting it, it opend again before hitting the set temperature. Have i missed something in handling this service call? Your advice is appreciated. There is no piping brought in for combustion air but i felt that might not be it as this is the first tco problem they are having.
          Had this problem a few years back. I'm gonna take a stab and say it has a 3" Vent? I had a customer who we installed a 40 Gal GSW for and 6 months after installation the TCO went, and it kept going about every 6-8 weeks. Turns out, the vent baffle ( which is easily removable) has about 5 tabs on it to slow the flow of the vent gas as it travels up to the draft hood. Those tabs are meant to be bent flush went the draft hood is connected to a 3" vent. I've had the call a few times now and bending the tabs in and re-setting/replacing the TCO has fixed it every time
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

i thought that american appliance came out with a retrofit kit to eliminate this problem. the left hand thermocouple and high limit were replaced to an external high limit.

american appliance was purchased by ao smith a couple years back.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. Gas pressure at the manifold was 4.5 inch wc but the draft was weak at the diverter with a match test. I didnt own a proper manometer to check for the actual draft. However, the temperature measured around the tco was 160 deg C and climbing. The entire chimney was checked and clear of any blockages. I clocked the input to be a little under the rating plate which is an ok value. The tip i used was bending the four tabs upwards on the baffle. The draft improved dramatically and the temperature at the tco hit 150 deg C and dropped to 130 deg C after the flue got some good flow going. The tco trips at 195 degC. I havnt heard from the client over a week so far so good!

The tech at ao smith said he is going to send me a new baffle and burner/door assembly and that i should put these new items back in. I believe it will recreate the same problems and should be left as is. Hopefully this post will help you techs in the field solve this problem quick and make your money and not waste so much time if you run into a John Wood tco tripping problem.

Comment

Working...
              X