Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Codes

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    but remember that gal pipe is nothing more than steel pipe with a very thin coating of galvanizing.

so basically the black steel pipe is defective and the gal coating is all that's holding it together

is that what you're saying

i guess anything is possible, but i wouldn't loose sleep over it.

in 37 years, i've come across 1 piece of copper with a factory microscopic pin hole. took months to show up. does that mean all copper is defective

brand new products will have defects. i'm still waiting for defective gal pipe. i know the gal pipe of today is not what it is of years ago, but it still doesn't leak and it does hold test. it can be cut and threaded. it just doesn't hold up to water usage unless you can find and afford domestic gal pipe.

the only gal my 4 different supply house chains stock are domestic fittings. not the pipe or nipples.

spoke to our gas company today. they use gal pipe, nipples and fittings above ground.

rick.
    Like I said some people just don't give a crap.

Mark, you asked the source and here is your answer.

Anything is possible and does happen!!! A cheaper choice of pipe takes away the guess work.

The use of galvy outside does make sense. The pipe is protected from the elements and does still require additional protection at the threads, contrary to other posts. Pipes outside are subject to lower temperatures in a fire and are readily exposed to a fire hose for cooling. I have never shot down the use of galvy outside...were it belongs. I have been very consistent that it has no place inside. It cost more to install by product price alone.

If you are the consumer reading this...question the use of galvy in your home!!!
    Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM. Reason: outside note

Comment

paint will also seal and hide a leak. so maybe we shouldn't paint any steel pipe until final gas inspection. i guess the painters will have to wait till the appliances are installed and the gas cocks are tested.

who wants to break the news to the painters

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

paint will also seal and hide a leak. so maybe we shouldn't paint any steel pipe until final gas inspection. i guess the painters will have to wait till the appliances are installed and the gas cocks are tested.

who wants to break the news to the painters

rick.
        Was that you last straw? What professional is going to take that seriously?

I accept your statement seeing as you are a professional. You would never post to be vengeful or arrogant. With so many posts you must be the best around. I will bow to the master when... You show me a piece of flawed pipe that when painted only holds 15 psi. I will be waiting for those pics

Now a hot dip is a different story...hot dip is also the bonding that we are talking about. Paint is just paint.

Comment

time for you to reread your code book.

paint can't be used as a sealant.

final gas inspection comes after all the appliances are installed or at least the gas cocks.

do you really need me to look it up and quote the code line by line

please show me all this flawed gal pipe you seem to loose sleep over.

in 37 years i've been responsible for hundreds if not thousands of final gas inspections in california. not once has any city inspector from different cities have ever questioned our use of gal pipe for gas. i guess now that they have read all your post, they still won't worry about it

until you get the code changed in our state, i'll still install gal pipe here, as i see fit.

how's that 66 seconds doing

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I didn't state paint could be used as a sealant. You suggested it. Now prove it.

I have suggested on other posts that a heavy duty bonding agent applied by brush to damaged gas pipe is no match for a new pipe section.

You said paint can seal damaged pipe on a pressure test. I want to see those pics at 15 psi. You won't do it and you won't lose sleep because you really don't care. You don't care because you have had the ignorant bliss of never seeing it. With as much as you claim to have installed...you will. It is only a matter of time.

As for the 66 I told you I have been out of town. Currently down with an eye injury, and leaving next week. I'll get to it when I do. I still have no need or desire to practice. It will be what it is, when it is. I should be piping a job from L.P. to natural on Monday. I may do it then seeing as the equipment will be out.

Comment

1214.2.1 pipe joints, including welds, shall be left exposed for examination during the test.

a pressure test done during ruff is for the plumber.

a pressure test at final is for the inspector and sign off.

so with that in mind, the pipe can't be painted until after final gas inspection.

of course that will never happen as the painters will not paint from ladders when there is still scaffolding installed.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

As for the box and natural gas...ng is lighter so a vent opening should be allowed in the top. There should already be one for the gas flex/appliance connector anyway.

There are so many ways by early design to protect this area that your imagination is the limit. An underground situation can be covered by landscape design. Very similar to how a roof system works. The valves can be pleasing moved above ground by working it into the leg of a fixed bench. The bench would provide trip protection and a hollow space to conceal the valves. Of course depending on your imagination.

Comment

If you can't put a valve underground then how are U/G L.P. tanks legal?

I would hate to think the many thousand installed and passed inspection were wrong.

Now that I think about it...we had multi tank system designs that were valved before the monitoring regulator. It was high pressure so I opted to use liquid standards for pipe and valve selection. The only protection those valves required was a seperate U/G LP tank dome and cover. There was nothing really special about it. That system was inspected by the state, the county, and the local fire chief. None of them had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                    If you can't put a valve underground then how are U/G L.P. tanks legal?

I would hate to think the many thousand installed and passed inspection were wrong.

Now that I think about it...we had multi tank system designs that were valved before the monitoring regulator. It was high pressure so I opted to use liquid standards for pipe and valve selection. The only protection those valves required was a seperate U/G LP tank dome and cover. There was nothing really special about it. That system was inspected by the state, the county, and the local fire chief. None of them had an issue.
                    You need to follow the Thread a little closer. The topic on hand is not a "gas valve" it is a quick-connect valve and hose. As for your suggested box in the ground, it does not appear there is any fall available to install as you suggest. I would also have the same concern for why you cannot install an RP in a pit.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

1214.2.1 pipe joints, including welds, shall be left exposed for examination during the test.

a pressure test done during ruff is for the plumber.

a pressure test at final is for the inspector and sign off.

so with that in mind, the pipe can't be painted until after final gas inspection.

of course that will never happen as the painters will not paint from ladders when there is still scaffolding installed.

rick.
                      NFPA 54-09 8.1.3.1 Says the exact same thing and also gives exceptions. That is referring to much more than a coat of paint. That refers to covering by insulation, concrete, drywall, or other permanent structure that would obstruct locating a leak.

The exception allows for on going construction and the concealment of tested pipe without further inspection until...basically final.

Thanks for sharing the codes...next time share all of it and its real intent.

Waiting on those paint pics

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        You need to follow the Thread a little closer. The topic on hand is not a "gas valve" it is a quick-connect valve and hose. As for your suggested box in the ground, it does not appear there is any fall available to install as you suggest. I would also have the same concern for why you cannot install an RP in a pit.

Mark
                        Sorry what is RP?

Comment

As for a QD...why not reverse it? Put the valve with hose down and the QD on the appliance. Problem solved for the QD as long as it is not flow checked.

Comment

not going to get paint pictures from me. remember i don't install pipe that needs to be painted. you're the one that has a whole lifetime of faulty gal pipe. lets see all that you say there is. no one else seems to have gal pipe defects.

the inspector needs to have the pipe exposed to give it a visual. he can care less about a leak. it's up to the installer if it leaks, he needs to find it and fix it.

paint around the threads will certainly stop a leak. ever hear of epoxy coatings used to seal the inside of pinholes in gal and copper water lines. much more pressure than 15#.

rick.

rp= reduced pressure backflow preventor
                            phoebe it is

Comment

NFPA 54-09 8.1.3.1 Says the exact same thing and also gives exceptions. That is referring to much more than a coat of paint. That refers to covering by insulation, concrete, drywall, or other permanent structure that would obstruct locating a leak.

The exception allows for on going construction and the concealment of tested pipe without further inspection until...basically final.

Thanks for sharing the codes...next time share all of it and its real intent.

Waiting on those paint pics
                              Again with the NFPA, I'm still curious why you don't share the Colorado and/or Florida Code so we have more input.

I also think you need to re-read Rick's posts because you are missing his point.

Mark

Comment

Sorry what is RP?
                                Reduced Pressure Principal Device

Comment

Working...
                                X