Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Codes

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    As for a QD...why not reverse it? Put the valve with hose down and the QD on the appliance. Problem solved for the QD as long as it is not flow checked.
    have you ever hooked up a quick disconnect on a bbq?

the snap coupling has a built in valve. similar to an air compressor quick disconnect. this connects prior to the hose. the hose connects to the appliance. so when the hose is disconnected the gas is automatically shut off.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      not going to get paint pictures from me. remember i don't install pipe that needs to be painted. you're the one that has a whole lifetime of faulty gal pipe. lets see all that you say there is. no one else seems to have gal pipe defects.

the inspector needs to have the pipe exposed to give it a visual. he can care less about a leak. it's up to the installer if it leaks, he needs to find it and fix it.

paint around the threads will certainly stop a leak. ever hear of epoxy coatings used to seal the inside of pinholes in gal and copper water lines. much more pressure than 15#.

rick.

rp= reduced pressure backflow preventor
      So then you don't install gas pipe in major commercial/industrial if it doesn't need to be painted. That leaves you with residential and basic commercial gas pipe. That just said a lot to me.

Who thinks the inspector cares about finding the leak? The pipes are exposed so you can find and repair any leaks and he can visually see if the method of joining is acceptable. Paint is BS and not the point of the code you stated at all.

If your threads leak? Then that is your problem...maybe try getting new teeth for your cutters or using a bit of oil...that is not the topic or point on either issue. I also would not know about putting epoxy on gas pipe. Please do tell??? This should be good

Comment

have you ever hooked up a quick disconnect on a bbq?

the snap coupling has a built in valve. similar to an air compressor quick disconnect. this connects prior to the hose. the hose connects to the appliance. so when the hose is disconnected the gas is automatically shut off.

rick.
        DUH... and we have a seperate stop valve in the pit. Get your head out of the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Reduced Pressure Principal Device
          There was no issue with the monitoring regulator or primary regulators being installed U/G. We did install proper sorkel tubes for the diaphrams to operate without drawing water.

Comment

DUH... and we have a seperate stop valve in the pit. Get your head out of the sand.
            please don't tell me you actually install the disconnect at the appliance prior to the hose. even an apprentice knows better or can read the directions

i doubt you have installed as much threaded gas pipe as i have. all the way up to 4'' medium pressure. along with welded pipe. 66 seconds comes from experience not talk. if you think 66 seconds is fast you should see me on an electric machine. did i forget to mention, i won that contest too

if you need a threader i have 4 bench threaders for you to play with.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

There was no issue with the monitoring regulator or primary regulators being installed U/G. We did install proper sorkel tubes for the diaphrams to operate without drawing water.
              we're not talking regulators. we're talking backflow preventors to protect potable water.

we install more than gas pipes out here.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

please don't tell me you actually install the disconnect at the appliance prior to the hose. even an apprentice knows better or can read the directions

i doubt you have installed as much threaded gas pipe as i have. all the way up to 4'' medium pressure. along with welded pipe. 66 seconds comes from experience not talk. if you think 66 seconds is fast you should see me on an electric machine. did i forget to mention, i won that contest too

if you need a threader i have 4 bench threaders for you to play with.

rick.
                I understand how QDs work. Thanks for the refresher course. I dare say I have installed more than most on here or I may be bold at well over 2000, you tell me as you like to do. I am also applying the code and said a positive stop is in place. In many areas beyond the gas cock is beyond jurisdiction.

I also suggested the check valve possibility of some brands. At what point should you start to realize I have done this before? Not for track homes obviously. It depends on the design and the area as to approval.

I still say Rick's suggestion is full of it and want to see paint hold a pressure test. Come on don't be afraid. Lets see it

As for welded pipe? I thought I read you weren't a welder so why are you taking credit for that? Besides gas pipe at 3" or better as I recall must be welded. So a better question would be...why are you threading 4"?

Comment

How can you compare an RP with a regulator. What would you do with the relief port?

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

we're not talking regulators. we're talking backflow preventors to protect potable water.

we install more than gas pipes out here.

rick.
                    What does that have to do with gas or the price of tea in China? I never drank water from a gas line.

Comment

I understand how QDs work. Thanks for the refresher course. I dare say I have installed more than most on here or I may be bold at well over 2000, you tell me as you like to do. I am also applying the code and said a positive stop is in place. In many areas beyond the gas cock is beyond jurisdiction.

I also suggested the check valve possibility of some brands. At what point should you start to realize I have done this before? Not for track homes obviously. It depends on the design and the area as to approval.

I still say Rick's suggestion is full of it and want to see paint hold a pressure test. Come on don't be afraid. Lets see it

As for welded pipe? I thought I read you weren't a welder so why are you taking credit for that? Besides gas pipe at 3" or better as I recall must be welded. So a better question would be...why are you threading 4"?
                      Where is that?

Again you need to re-read his posts.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        How can you compare an RP with a regulator. What would you do with the relief port?

Mark
                        The relief port as you call it is more than that. The vent is a relief in a over pressure failure. The vent also provides air space for the regulator diaphram to move. In gas regulators a snorkel is provided that allows enough air movement for the diaphram to move and not draw in water. In the old days a brass flare adapter and a well bent piece of copper would do. That was replaced with manufacturer sold vent tubes. The manufacturers of gas regulators still make vent tubes for their stuff.

Why don't you contact Watts and ask them about installing a RP U/G? I can't remember one time ever installing a propane tank or U/G valve inside. Inside is also the location of many RPs. When outside an RP will have drain ports and be above ground as being below defeats the purpose. I am sorry the two together are not making one bit of sense.

Comment

time for you to reread your code book.

paint can't be used as a sealant.

final gas inspection comes after all the appliances are installed or at least the gas cocks.

do you really need me to look it up and quote the code line by line

please show me all this flawed gal pipe you seem to loose sleep over.

in 37 years i've been responsible for hundreds if not thousands of final gas inspections in california. not once has any city inspector from different cities have ever questioned our use of gal pipe for gas. i guess now that they have read all your post, they still won't worry about it

until you get the code changed in our state, i'll still install gal pipe here, as i see fit.

how's that 66 seconds doing

rick.
                          Some areas such as here only have one inspection. They inspect upto and including, but not beyond the appliance stop valve. The appliance connector and the appliance are not under jurisdiction and are not inspected.

Maybe I did read it, understood it, and applied it to local standards. Your area maybe different.

Comment

O no here we go again.

Tony

Comment

So 500 posts later it is finally understood that galvy hot dip can cover a black iron flaw.
                              Kevin - one thing I don't follow is why would this concern you when you could have defective black pipe with possible pin holes that may just be closed enough to pass a pressure test and yet fail shortly afterwards. What's the difference between that and a layer of zinc blocking a hole that could fail shortly afterwards.

Comment

The relief port as you call it is more than that. The vent is a relief in a over pressure failure. The vent also provides air space for the regulator diaphram to move. In gas regulators a snorkel is provided that allows enough air movement for the diaphram to move and not draw in water. In the old days a brass flare adapter and a well bent piece of copper would do. That was replaced with manufacturer sold vent tubes. The manufacturers of gas regulators still make vent tubes for their stuff.

Why don't you contact Watts and ask them about installing a RP U/G? I can't remember one time ever installing a propane tank or U/G valve inside. Inside is also the location of many RPs. When outside an RP will have drain ports and be above ground as being below defeats the purpose. I am sorry the two together are not making one bit of sense.
                                I'm guessing you may not know what an RP is for so that may have been a bad analogy for me to use.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X