Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Codes

Originally posted by drh View Post
    Yes, this is my fear. I don't want to fail an inspection because of a $12 can of primer. Now I'm wondering if this is a CA only or regional thing (although I don't see why it would be if the manufacturer says you need to apply primer for their tape, you need to apply it).

Maybe there is someone from my part of the country (TX) that can chime in.
    It is definitely not a CA thing. CA believes in running galvy, the miracle pipe, nothing more required.

Royston also makes the primer you are looking for. I understand the color being yellow but when I was using this product it was black then. They may have changed the color over the years. The product was called Royston Greenline Tape and was sold in a kit that included the primer in a spray can and the tape.

There are also some types of tape that are primerless. The primer is integrated in the tape now. If you Google Royston Pipe Wrap you will see more options.

You could perhaps just get away with a can of yellow oil base spray paint.

Re: Pipe wrap primer

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    It is definitely not a CA thing. CA believes in running galvy, the miracle pipe, nothing more required.

Royston also makes the primer you are looking for. I understand the color being yellow but when I was using this product it was black then. They may have changed the color over the years. The product was called Royston Greenline Tape and was sold in a kit that included the primer in a spray can and the tape.

There are also some types of tape that are primerless. The primer is integrated in the tape now. If you Google Royston Pipe Wrap you will see more options.

You could perhaps just get away with a can of yellow oil base spray paint.
    I have asked you before what you base this opinion on and never really got an answer. I would venture to say 99.9999% of all steel gas pipe in California is black. However, that does not mean it is not installed for a repair or special application on occasion.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I have asked you before what you base this opinion on and never really got an answer. I would venture to say 99.9999% of all steel gas pipe in California is black. However, that does not mean it is not installed for a repair or special application on occasion.

Mark
      Mark I am basing it on the continued opposition from CA "professionals?" that use galvy exclusively, recommend it continually, and defend it ludicrously.

I think the forum knows my opinion on galvy. Seeing the statement of CA raised my eyebrow to a source of what I consider to be faulty information at best on some topics. This would be one of those topics.

Comment

Mark I am basing it on the continued opposition from CA "professionals?" that use galvy exclusively, recommend it continually, and defend it ludicrously.

I think the forum knows my opinion on galvy. Seeing the statement of CA raised my eyebrow to a source of what I consider to be faulty information at best on some topics. This would be one of those topics.
        I don't see a problem with using an accepted and legal material. I have posted before the price difference is the leading reason it is not used. I believe the way the previous debate went was more of saying it was a legal material then that anyone would use it exclusively. Gal gas pipe is legal under the UPC, NFPA and the IFGC.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I don't see a problem with using an accepted and legal material. I have posted before the price difference is the leading reason it is not used. I believe the way the previous debate went was more of saying it was a legal material then that anyone would use it exclusively. Gal gas pipe is legal under the UPC, NFPA and the IFGC.

Mark
          M-I-C-K-E-Y and M-O-U-S-E

I also believe the pipe is falsely listed. It is by every respect of manufacturing a bonded material. By being so, the bonding agent is substandard to the minimum temperature requirements listed by UPC, NFPA and IFGC.
          Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I understand how Kevin thought all of California used galvanized because I wondered the same thing for a while also. It seems like all the pictures I see coming from the California guys on here all have galvanized for the gas lines. I know I've read on here Robert saying he only uses galvanized. It's easy to get the wrong idea about something.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kevin Jones;304272]It is definitely not a CA thing. CA believes in running galvy, the miracle pipe, nothing more required.

You could perhaps just get away with a can of yellow oil base spray paint.[/QUOTE]

you are so far off base it's a miracle your iq is what you say it is

gal. pipe is not legal for burial unless it has a factory applied protective coating/ green , brown. years ago we could get factory gal pipe in green. haven't seen that for 15-20 at any of my supply houses.

the exception to the factory wrapped pipe is limited to fittings, nipples and short pieces. all other has to be factory applied coatings.

the primer is basically a contact cement that makes the tape permanently bond to the pipe. it also will coat anything you might have carelessly missed with the tape.

as far as you comment on the yellow paint to trick the inspector, i won't even comment on your thinking

once again, there is absolutely noting wrong with gal pipe for gas. there is nothing in the natural gas we have that will rot the pipe gal or black.

rick.
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

M-I-C-K-E-Y and M-O-U-S-E

I also believe the pipe is falsely listed. It is by every respect of manufacturing a bonded material. By being so, the bonding agent is substandard to the minimum temperature requirements listed by UPC, NFPA and IFGC.
                Of course you are in the minority with your opinion different from every Code and Certification Lab out there.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                  I understand how Kevin thought all of California used galvanized because I wondered the same thing for a while also. It seems like all the pictures I see coming from the California guys on here all have galvanized for the gas lines. I know I've read on here Robert saying he only uses galvanized. It's easy to get the wrong idea about something.
                  Robert is a Service Plumber so it is more about only carrying one type of pipe.

Mark

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;304293]

You could perhaps just get away with a can of yellow oil base spray paint.[/QUOTE]

you are so far off base it's a miracle your iq is what you say it is

gal. pipe is not legal for burial unless it has a factory applied protective coating/ green , brown. years ago we could get factory gal pipe in green. haven't seen that for 15-20 at any of my supply houses.

the exception to the factory wrapped pipe is limited to fittings, nipples and short pieces. all other has to be factory applied coatings.

the primer is basically a contact cement that makes the tape permanently bond to the pipe. it also will coat anything you might have carelessly missed with the tape.

as far as you comment on the yellow paint to trick the inspector, i won't even comment on your thinking

once again, there is absolutely noting wrong with gal pipe for gas. there is nothing in the natural gas we have that will rot the pipe gal or black.

rick.
                    Rick,

With all I have heard from you and other CA plumbers defending galvy, I have the full impression that this is the standard. I think it is a poor one.
                    I see absolutely no reason to recommend it's use inside in any way, shape, or form with the exception of a wet commercial environment.

I also have the full impression that CA truely doesn't give a crap. Code and some contractors alike. So if those standards are going to be used why not paint it yellow.

Painting yellow is a commercial standard. It is used for identification of fuel lines and their potential by the fire department in large part. Red would be for liquid lines.

For a residential situation penetrating a wall, you only need to use a standard primer spray paint on the exposed pipe. I strongly recommend using a pvc or other suitable full sleeve for the wall penetration. Silicone the pipe and the sleeve on the exterior.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kevin Jones;304303]
                      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Rick,

With all I have heard from you and other CA plumbers defending galvy, I have the full impression that this is the standard. I think it is a poor one.
                      I see absolutely no reason to recommend it's use inside in any way, shape, or form with the exception of a wet commercial environment.

I also have the full impression that CA truely doesn't give a crap. Code and some contractors alike. So if those standards are going to be used why not paint it yellow.

Painting yellow is a commercial standard. It is used for identification of fuel lines and their potential by the fire department in large part. Red would be for liquid lines.

For a residential situation penetrating a wall, you only need to use a standard primer spray paint on the exposed pipe. I strongly recommend using a pvc or other suitable full sleeve for the wall penetration. Silicone the pipe and the sleeve on the exterior.
                      Of course that would make you wrong again. You seem to prefer quoting the NFPA over either your Colorado Code or your Florida Code. Much of the UPC Fuel Section is the NFPA.

I quit counting UPC quotes from the NFPA at 150 with a bunch left to look at.

The IFGC mentions the the NFPA 14-times in very vague terms.

Mark
                      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-15-2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Re: Gas Codes

I always run galvy outside. It is not the norm here also and have been called for it by inspectors who couldn't defend their position. It is leagle and I will always use it outside.

Comment

Here in Mich, in the older houses that have the gas meter located inside the dwelling, the gas co, for many years has been moving the meters to the outside of the house, & in many cases replacing the service pipe too.
                          Some of these meters were in the basement, on the driveway side of the house. So when the new meters are installed, the gas co connects up to the first fitting in the house, & run new piping to new gas meter location, which in alot of cases is quite lengthy. Every single job that I have seen the gas co do, has been galvanized pipe & fittings. I don't recall ever seeing anything but galv. materials on any of their trucks. Even when they upgrade a gas meter, such as for a generator, they use all galv. nipples & fittings, always, inside & outside. Just saying! Even though 99.9% of the existing gas lines they connect to is black pipe.

Comment

What I have seen here in CA during my 32 year plumbing career for standard gas pipe installations was black pipe above ground exposed and enclosed, except when penetrating masonary walls, then galvy was used for the penetration only. Then the code changed and required that exposed black pipe outside be painted, which created more labor and maintenace, so galvanized became the popular choice for outside runs to avoid having to paint it. I also use galvy fittings on either pipe because they have fewer sand holes, and I can use them for repairs on water piping in the older homes.
                            Last edited by plumb4life; 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

When you're looking at painting hundreds of feet of black pipe for a roof full of gas fired units, galvanize is the smart choice.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X