X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cleaning Condensate Stacks???

We service two 23-story condominiums (30 years old) which have four 2" cast iron stacks in each building. In one building the stacks go through the roof, the other doesn't. Currently, they are full of scale/rust buildup and occassionally backup. Each floor has four units, each of which has their T&P, heater pan drain, and condensate drain tied into the stack.

We would try to perform a drain cleaning with the chain knocker, however, there are no cleanout tees anywhere, so we would be opening up walls to install them every 50 feet.

Our other option would be to jet the lines, but our only concern would be the T&p, heater drain pan, and condensate drain lines branching off the stacks. We could cap each line to ensure water doesn't get pushed up each line and into the unit.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any feedback would be appreciated.

---Mark

Re: Drain Cleaning Condensate Stacks???

interesting question and potential for a serious flood.

jetting from the roof down is asking for a problem

why don't all the stacks penetrate the roof

here is my suggestion for the ones that penetrate the roof

use a fiberglass push rod to string a rope from the roof down to the bas of the stack 23 stories below. use a jetter nozzle with a hook eye in the front. then you can jet from the bottom up. this should prevent the back up and actually create a negative pressure on the system creating a vacuum affect. the rope will be used to help the jetter up the 23 stories.

the ones that don't penetrate the roof, will need access to the top of the stack. same method with the rope and jetter.

the idea is that the jetter will be cleaning as it goes up and therefore the line will not plug up as you proceed up the stack. of course this is a 2 man minimum plus some watchful eyes on assorted units with the help of the building staff or owners.

post photos and good luck

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

how's the weather in florida now

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

http://sewernozzles.com/

click on the video link
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Plumber Rick....that is a viable option. The weather down here is sunny, hot, and humid. If we can get some pics, I will post them up.

Gear Junkie, thanks for the idea. I have emailed a distributor to get pricing and availability. Between Plumber Rick's idea and your suggestion to use the Warthog, I think we have the answer.

--Mark

Comment

Rick & Ben great idea!

I have really no experience with a jetter and I like the warthog I have seen that thing in action at trade shows and youtube videos but I don't have a use for it, however I might just buy one to play with....

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              http://sewernozzles.com/

click on the video link
              Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                interesting question and potential for a serious flood.

jetting from the roof down is asking for a problem

why don't all the stacks penetrate the roof

here is my suggestion for the ones that penetrate the roof

use a fiberglass push rod to string a rope from the roof down to the bas of the stack 23 stories below. use a jetter nozzle with a hook eye in the front. then you can jet from the bottom up. this should prevent the back up and actually create a negative pressure on the system creating a vacuum affect. the rope will be used to help the jetter up the 23 stories.

the ones that don't penetrate the roof, will need access to the top of the stack. same method with the rope and jetter.

the idea is that the jetter will be cleaning as it goes up and therefore the line will not plug up as you proceed up the stack. of course this is a 2 man minimum plus some watchful eyes on assorted units with the help of the building staff or owners.

post photos and good luck

rick.
                Damn..never heard of fiberglass push rods. Just googled them to see what they look like, and it's a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                X