X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New type of wax ring??

Pulled a toilet today and saw a different wax ring then I'm accustomed to. I forgot to take a picture so bear with me describing it. It was a regular wax ring but it had a plastic flange. However, this one extended into the closet bend about 3" and was tight to the sidewalls of the pipe, no restriction at all. Wasn't like the fluidmaster style flanged wax rings at all. The plastic flange was a sorta clear translucent plastic.

I really like the design and was wondering if anyone has ever seen this style? If so, what were your thoughts?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: New type of wax ring??

It looked like this. http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Bowl-Wa.../dp/B00068YBZG
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

never seen one

Comment

I've seen this type before, but would never use one, unless it was on lead.

Comment

flux

why? breid...............

Comment

Re: flux

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
            why? breid...............
            I don't care for the "horned" wax ring because it causes problems. I've seen 2 sometimes 3 of these horns stacked on top of one another. I've also pulled toilets, and seen the horn "cocked" and it didn't leave much of an opening for the toilet. To be quite honest, it's a service P.I.T.A.

Last year I pulled a toilet, and didn't realize the wax "horned" ring was still on the bottom, and when I set the toilet to the side, it fell right over and cracked the toilet. I wasn't a happy camper when I had to purchase a new toilet for my customer. Plus it cracked the marble dam on the shower, and I had to have that replaced as well. I ended up paying my customer to reseal a toilet.

To be quite honest I think they should be illegal to use, because you're reducing the size of the opening. If you happen to cock it, now you just created a potential problem every time you flush the toilet. I've never once had a problem with a regular wax ring.

I just don't care for them at all.
            Last edited by Flux; 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

This wax ring wasn't "horned". The outside diameter of the flange was the same I.D. of the pipe. Caused no restriction at all. The flange was the same diameter all the way down, it never reduced.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm giving consideration to these.

http://www.siouxchief.com/Specialtie...-Cushion.KN3XV

Thoughts?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Thoughts?

J.C.
                  I've seen them in Ferguson's, but they are not for me. I actually asked one of the counter guys one time if anyone was using these and he said "yes".

Only 1 time in my career did I pull one off a flange, to reseal the toilet.

Comment

Re: flux

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I don't care for the "horned" wax ring because it causes problems. I've seen 2 sometimes 3 of these horns stacked on top of one another. I've also pulled toilets, and seen the horn "cocked" and it didn't leave much of an opening for the toilet. To be quite honest, it's a service P.I.T.A.

Last year I pulled a toilet, and didn't realize the wax "horned" ring was still on the bottom, and when I set the toilet to the side, it fell right over and cracked the toilet. I wasn't a happy camper when I had to purchase a new toilet for my customer. Plus it cracked the marble dam on the shower, and I had to have that replaced as well. I ended up paying my customer to reseal a toilet.

To be quite honest I think they should be illegal to use, because you're reducing the size of the opening. If you happen to cock it, now you just created a potential problem every time you flush the toilet. I've never once had a problem with a regular wax ring.

I just don't care for them at all.
                    I've used both. Don't recall having a problem with either kind. I HAVE pulled toilets and seen the horn cocked/tweaked/bent because of flange height and/or the size of outlet on the toilet.

I used to use no horn, then went to all horn. Can't say it does anything great because I did not have problems with standard ones in the past.

I think it is more of a security blanket in my mind. It can possibly give you an extra barrier & protection if the flange to pipe connection is in suspect. Maybe.

Ever since I found the first cockeyed one I look at the height of the toilet to flange connection and toilet outlet vs. horn. Then "massage" the horn with the pocket knife as necessary.

J.C.

Comment

Thoughts?

J.C.
                      I think Ben may have shared these earlier.years back.
                      My concern would be them not retaining expansion,or decomposing.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        I think Ben may have shared these earlier.years back.
                        My concern would be them not retaining expansion,or decomposing.
                        Ron in Chi-town uses putty! No problems though....

J.C.

Comment

Ron in Chi-town uses putty! No problems though....

J.C.
                          Funny you should say putty, as I pulled my first toilet today that had Plumbers putty underneath. Total rehab job, and the toilet was probably about 40 years old.

Comment

a full 4'' closet bend gets a wax ring with a 4'' horn. this doesn't interfere with the line at all. the ones that are an issue are the 4'' x 3'' reducing wax rings with horns. those were designed for 3'' bends and not 4'' bends.

i rarely see a 3'' closet bend unless it was a general contractor or homeowner that did the install.

the horn helps keep the wax centered and also helps to funnel the water down below the ring/ instant set seal/ leaded joint.

it also helps to keep a stacked second bare wax centered. there is no way a full 4'' ring and horn will interfere with the toilets flush. a 4x3'' reducing wax will.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              a full 4'' closet bend gets a wax ring with a 4'' horn. this doesn't interfere with the line at all. the ones that are an issue are the 4'' x 3'' reducing wax rings with horns. those were designed for 3'' bends and not 4'' bends.

i rarely see a 3'' closet bend unless it was a general contractor or homeowner that did the install.

the horn helps keep the wax centered and also helps to funnel the water down below the ring/ instant set seal/ leaded joint.

it also helps to keep a stacked second bare wax centered. there is no way a full 4'' ring and horn will interfere with the toilets flush. a 4x3'' reducing wax will.

rick.
                              I have yet to see a full 4" horned wax ring. I can't name one place around here that even sells them. Regardless, it won't stop guys from stacking the horns on top of each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X