X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow What I Didn't Know About Sulfuric Acid

Ok over the weekend I was repairing an outside storm drain pictures and job description here http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...692#post304692 Well anyways, I went into my cabinet on my truck to get a float trowel out, as I opened this cabinet which has my old school SeeSnake CRT monitor in it, a spare Basement watchdog battery (empty they ship them dry) a box of acid which has a plastic bladder inside to fill the above battery, my Rothenberger power threader which is a lot like the Ridgid 600 Power Drive but 20 years old or so, the dies for the above threader, and my trowels.

Well here is a lesson I will never forget. The bladder that holds the sulfuric acid sweats in the high heat and humidity... This sweat is very corrosive, it formed a crystal like substance on the sunshade of my monitor, but the worse part was this sweat was dripping onto my threader, and melted the plastic around the trigger and motor assembly. I will post some pictures later today. I have carried spare batteries in the past and never seen this happen before, but in the pas it never got as hot as it has this last week. I was in this cabinet two weeks ago, there was no signs of this happening. The bag has no holes in it and still has all its acid intact, just some nasty corrosive condensation.

But I figured I share my mishap with you all so this may never happen to you. Seems like July is full of mishaps for me. Ruined a threader this week, get screwed by Priceline.com last week, and no matter how careful I was cleaning up this acid sweat I still some how got it on a good pair of jeans and my Ridgid Road Show shirt. And this month is not over yet.

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Wow What I Didn't Know About Sulfuric Acid

ron sorry to hear about your ruined equipment.

but this is the same as what goes on with all the chemicals that are stored under the kitchen sink. how many times to we see all the brass 2 part waste with pits and corrosion along the entire exposed tubing. that's the cleaners, chlorines gassing out of the closed containers.

i'm surprised it attacked your plastic parts on the tools.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

ok here is some quick pictures. Where you see the streaks in the black , the plastic is so soft I can put my thumb right through it.

Attached Files

Comment

What's cool is when you put H2SO4 in sugar.

Comment

Ok thats it I am done.. I need a very long break. On the way back home some SOB tried to cut me off, then he just went ahead and cut off the guy ahead of me. No harm no foul.

Then a few miles up the road a car gets in front of me and starts to go 20 miles per hour below the speed limit, so I change lanes and go to pass the car. As I am passing the car he tosses a big gulp out his window smacks my windshield dead on. I roll down my window to tell him to pull over he starts to cuss me out and flicking me off, I screamed back at him with a few choice words and told him to pull over.

He proceeds to get behind me and rid my bumper, and change lanes when I changed lanes. I was trying to get his plate number but the SOB kept in my blind spot. The whole time I got the state police on the phone, but I was too shaken up and pi$$ed off to talk straight. All I was able to do is tell the cop it was a pale green Honda. Then the guy at last second jumps off at an exit as I pass it by. I am lucky the guy did not pull over or I would be typing this from jail.

Comment

Ahhh...a little road rage is good for the heart! lol

I can't stand all the traffic on the road during the day. Don't these people work? I HATE the person who wants to do 20 mph below the speed limit.

Sometimes I wish I drove a tractor trailer...that way i could store every possible Plumbing item under the sun in there, so I wouldn't have to go to the supply house, and fight my way through traffic.

This one is the best...you're looking at the house numbers while driving slowly down the street, and someone wants to get right on your a$$.

Comment

Employee and I are also climbing partners. Keep our racks in our vans, climb on slow days. Jug of muriatic tipped over and slowly dripped. Retired ~$2k of gear, some clearly destroyed, most just because we couldn't trust the webbing after exposure to the fumes.

Driving makes me hate people.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The holes are still getting bigger on my jacket ..

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

Ok over the weekend I was repairing an outside storm drain pictures and job description here http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...692#post304692 Well anyways, I went into my cabinet on my truck to get a float trowel out, as I opened this cabinet which has my old school SeeSnake CRT monitor in it, a spare Basement watchdog battery (empty they ship them dry) a box of acid which has a plastic bladder inside to fill the above battery, my Rothenberger power threader which is a lot like the Ridgid 600 Power Drive but 20 years old or so, the dies for the above threader, and my trowels.

Well here is a lesson I will never forget. The bladder that holds the sulfuric acid sweats in the high heat and humidity... This sweat is very corrosive, it formed a crystal like substance on the sunshade of my monitor, but the worse part was this sweat was dripping onto my threader, and melted the plastic around the trigger and motor assembly. I will post some pictures later today. I have carried spare batteries in the past and never seen this happen before, but in the pas it never got as hot as it has this last week. I was in this cabinet two weeks ago, there was no signs of this happening. The bag has no holes in it and still has all its acid intact, just some nasty corrosive condensation.

But I figured I share my mishap with you all so this may never happen to you. Seems like July is full of mishaps for me. Ruined a threader this week, get screwed by Priceline.com last week, and no matter how careful I was cleaning up this acid sweat I still some how got it on a good pair of jeans and my Ridgid Road Show shirt. And this month is not over yet.

The bag must be a semi-permeable membrane allowing vaporous states to exit at x temperature while retaining liquids. Interesting.

Bet they didn't think of that.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Ace I do not just hate this guy.. I wanted to kick his arse.. I despised this guy throwing a big gulp at my windshield. I could see if he did that to someone that is not as strong of a driver like myself flipping out and losing control of their car.

I should of swerved right into him as it hit. I would of just told the cop he throw that into my window I panicked and swerved not knowing what was going on. I dunno.. I am still streaming about it. This guy is very lucky he got out of my site at the last minute. If had stopped.. it would not of been pretty.

I met many of you at the Round up, you all know I am a pretty cool, calm and collective guy.. But what this guy did is unforgivable.

Comment

I wonder how much a new Ridgid 600 threader costs? And I wonder if I could claim it on insurance.

Comment

I wonder how much a new Ridgid 600 threader costs? And I wonder if I could claim it on insurance.
                        http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/36902.html

about $800

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                          Another country heard from. Where ya been hiding Wench Spinner?

And good to see you back in here.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Want some more wisdom of the ages learned the hard way? Don't store sulfuric acid on the top shelf of your van.

Last winter I had two bottles tip over on the top shelf without me knowing about it. Despite having screw on caps that had never been opened, and both bottles also being closed in a separate plastic bag one of them leaked.

The acid leaked onto three different levels of Aluminum shelving. My bright shiny, light, expensive Stonebrook Aluminum shelving now has streaks of corrosion dripping down the side.

I discovered the leak when I walked up to the Van on a Sunday an hour before a Vikings football game. A red bloodlike liquid was dripping from the rear cargo doors. Sulfuric acid. I spent the hour and the first quarter of the game rinsing and hosing out as much as I could.

I recently discovered the underside of the flooring in the Dodge Sprinter is rusting like mad.

I'm going to have to remove all the tools and stock from the truck. Remove the bins. Remove the flooring to expose the steel decking underneath. Then I'm having the rust removed, the decking (as well as the rest of the van exterior) primed, painted, and clearcoated. (I'm hoping to go on vacation while this is taking place.)

The cost? Can't yet say. But in time, energy, and inconvenience the cost will be considerable. (I'm going to try and view it as an opportunity to re-organize the van.)

The lesson? When I carry chemicals they go on the floor under the shelving in a durable plastic tub.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

YEAH SORRY GUYS I LEARNED THAT MYSELF THE HARD WAY ABOUT 25 OR 30

YEARS AGO !
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X