• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IPC-Boring Sideways

306.2.4 In my older book.

J.C.

Comment

I can't keep a code book, I've loaned both of mine out, the boss has decided that if you're eligible to take your journeyman test, you are damn well taking it. so now everyone is scrambling.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Here in Pa. some area's follow the 2003 version..some the 2006 version. Kind of F'ed up since the entire state is IPC (except Pittsburgh and Philly), and we all don't follow the same version of IPC. I'm going to take a peek in my code book tomorrow to see what it says.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Here in Pa. some area's follow the 2003 version..some the 2006 version. Kind of F'ed up since the entire state is IPC (except Pittsburgh and Philly), and we all don't follow the same version of IPC. I'm going to take a peek in my code book tomorrow to see what it says.
          Gimme' a minute.

J.C.

Comment

2009 IPC

Appendix F

F101.3-Bored Holes

A hole not greater in diameter than 40 percent of the stud width is permitted to be bored in any wood stud. Bored holed not greater than 60 percent of the width of the stud is permitted in nonbearing partitions or in any wall where each bored stud is doubled, provided not more than two such successive doubled studs are so bored. In no case shall the edge of the bored hole be nearer than 0.625 inch (15.9mm) to the edge of the stud. Bored holes shall not be located at the same section of the stud as a cut or notch.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              2009 IPC

Appendix F

F101.3-Bored Holes

A hole not greater in diameter than 40 percent of the stud width is permitted to be bored in any wood stud. Bored holed not greater than 60 percent of the width of the stud is permitted in nonbearing partitions or in any wall where each bored stud is doubled, provided not more than two such successive doubled studs are so bored. In no case shall the edge of the bored hole be nearer than 0.625 inch (15.9mm) to the edge of the stud. Bored holes shall not be located at the same section of the stud as a cut or notch.

J.C.
              When I sit here and read that...the 2-9/16" bit would be illegal to use for a hole. Guess I'm throwing out a ton of those bits then...lol. Boy this is really going to piss off the carpenters.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                When I sit here and read that...the ridgid 2-9/16" bit would be illegal to use for a hole. Guess I'm throwing out a ton of those bits then...lol. Boy this is really going to piss off the carpenters.
                It may not affect you at all. I don't know what book you fall under. As you can see though, for IPC interpretation, it seems to be correct.

No 2" horizontally through a vertical 2x4 under any circumstances.

I'll fail and have to do it over here. Thought it might help others from having to do things over too.

J.C.

Comment

so 5/8" from either edge, that'd be 3 and 13/16ths. so even when the inspectors let us double the 2x4 studs, it was still illegal. <.< good to know.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

will the inspector let it ride if the framers fir out the wall? that sounds like the only real solution since the hole is already drilled.

It may not affect you at all. I don't know what book you fall under. As you can see though, for IPC interpretation, it seems to be correct.

I'll fail and have to do it over here. Thought it might help others from having to do things over too.

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
                      It will effect us if this is in either the 2003 or 06 version. Hooking up laundry boxes just became damn near impossible to do now because of that.

But wouldn't a hole for 1 1/2 pipe be considered illegal as well?

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        so 5/8" from either edge, that'd be 3 and 13/16ths. so even when the inspectors let us double the 2x4 studs, it was still illegal. <.< good to know.
                        Double studs can have 1.5" pipe. A little larger hole by calculation but none of us use that odd size. Maybe for alignment.

And only 2 successive double studs. Can't drill the third one no matter what.

J.C.

Comment

doesn't nunya require a 3" tee for the washer waste anyway? they were requiring us to install 3" at the first horizontal portion of the washer line back when I lived there. and as I recall, the '09 code wants 3" after the trap, seems like that would need a 2x6 wall regardless.

Springfield MO still hasn't adopted the 2009 code so I hadn't quite kept up on that.

Comment

will the inspector let it ride if the framers fir out the wall? that sounds like the only real solution since the hole is already drilled.
                            As you probably know, depends. Here, no. I have pretty stringent enforcement & they would say that the integrity of that section of framing is compromised. And firring (shooting on some ripped 2x4's) does not change that.

They would make me take out everything, put in a new stud, and start over.

Now keep in mind, I'm not talking common sense. I'm talking code.

And if you have strict enforcement, you'll fail. Plus, I'm sure we all want to do our best to put it in according to the rules.

J.C.

Comment

doesn't nunya require a 3" tee for the washer waste anyway? they were requiring us to install 3" at the first horizontal portion of the washer line back when I lived there. and as I recall, the '09 code wants 3" after the trap, seems like that would need a 2x6 wall regardless.

Springfield MO still hasn't adopted the 2009 code so I hadn't quite kept up on that.
                              Remember, horizontal. They will allow a 2" Sanitary Tee, then drop into a pipe increaser or bushing over a 3" 90.

I do try to use a 3"x2" Sanitary Tee whenever I can.

J.C.

Comment

I did think it was funny that they ignored the cleanout requirement when they wrote that code. leaves a 2 inch access to a 3 inch line. but hey, washer lines never back up

our inspectors there interpreted it as a 3" 45 with a 2x3 bushing in it under the floor, and a 2" 45 above the floor in the wall, if it was on an outside wall anyway.

Remember, horizontal. They will allow a 2" Sanitary Tee, then drop into a pipe increaser or bushing over a 3" 90.

I do try to use a 3"x2" Sanitary Tee whenever I can.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X