Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Check Backwater valve

http://www.cleancheck.net/menu.htm

anyone ever see one of these or install them. The supply houses are trying to push them now that Rectorseal is distributing.

-Chris
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-30-2010, 04:35 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Re: Clean Check Backwater valve

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
    http://www.cleancheck.net/menu.html

anyone ever see one of these or install them. The supply houses are trying to push them now that Rectorseal is distributing.

-Chris
    I put one in a couple years ago in Westchester. They did not get any water last year. But this year the new home owner got water 3 differnt times. But each time I checked the unit it seemed it did not fail. I got a feeling the water came from the sump pump during the power outage and overflowed into the sewer before the clean check and caused the back up.

I still prefer to install a proper flood control system over installing a Clean Check or a gate valve.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

thanks for the input Ron

I'm sure they got water again this time. I know I did. I live in Westchester.

I usually install the Tramco 960 lift station but I have some people that are on a very limited budget, so I figured that I'd see what was out there about these.

My brother in law has a component flood control system. I'm not a fan of those jumbo valves.

Comment

I'm not in the plumbing trade but I'd be very hesitant to install a PVC backwater valve in the Chicago area. In a severe rainstorm, my street is sometimes underwater, meaning the sewers are full. I doubt this type of valve can hold back the pressure. A local plumbing co has a video on their site of a home in Park Ridge. This home had a PVC backwater valve and a pump, the valve failed and the homeowner got 42 inches of water! I'd like to know what the pros think.

Comment

cast iron backwater valves fail too as the swing gate will no longer swing open or closed properly. this will either create a stoppage or a potential for a flood when they don't shot 100%.

the plastic ones will not rust and are easily accessed via the 6'' pipe riser.

42'' of water is less than 2psi on the valve.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

this the one i have just installed.
            http://www.backwatervalve.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

I still prefer to install a proper flood control system over installing a Clean Check or a gate valve.
              What type of valve do you install?

Comment

Installed them. Put pictures on here once. No problems.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Vern View Post
                  What type of valve do you install?

Vern, the valve you are talking about that is on the website of the plumbing company was a plastic screw top backwater valve. I seen them valves hold against many sewer backups. I feel that one the top may not have been screwed down properly (cross threaded) and blew off. I have never installed that type.

The clean check the screw top is level with the ground, and the flapper is a nice heavy rubber that sits on the seat in the closed position at all times so when the city sewer backs up it just pushes the rubber tighter on the seat. One of the things is a Clean out needs to be installed by the clean check so a drain cleaner does not use the clean check riser as a clean out and damages the seat.

Now as to what valves I use in the flood control systems, its a cast iron swing check valve with a 2" port on the top to accept the piping from the ejector pump. These valves will fail as well if no one services them. They need to be opened up once a year and be cleaned and lubricated. The Clean check requires inspection every 3 months per the manufacture.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

I'm always learning new things here. What is a "proper flood control system"?

(I'm visualizing a large shop vac)
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      I'm always learning new things here. What is a "proper flood control system"?

(I'm visualizing a large shop vac)

Inside installation is basically a lift station like the Tramco Pump mod #960

http://tramcopump.com/assets/FlashPa...60brochure.swf

Outside can be the same unit with a double seal submersible pump or a component system that uses a backwater valve and an overflow basin/pit/chamber/etc with a pump that discharges on the city side of the backwater valve with a 2" check valve on the discharge. Ron has posted a picture on here before.

I install and work on the Tramco units all the time. The one I'm off to work on today was installed originally in 1958. Basin still intact. Just needed a new motor. The vertical pump was still in pristine condition as the original owner oiled it everyday.

In Chicago there are companies that exclusively do flood prevention work.

My village just got the bright idea to use the FEMA money that they are getting to install 1000 of these clean check valves at residences in the village. I wonder where all that water is going to go if they do that????
                      Everytime someone installs a backwater valve or flood control system it just pushes the water on down the line or causes increased flooding of the streets and/or overland flooding. Chicago is an old city with a lot of sewer issues...........speaking of which, off to rod rod rod and fix fix fix pumps

-chris

Comment

Here is what I want to know when you guys get a call that the line is backed up and find that it is most likely some thing jammed in the valve and need to remove the flapper but have back pressure pushing on the cap do you have any tricks to pulling it off and not flooding the basement with gallons of sewage besides a shop vac . Had to ask.

Comment

Working...
                        X