Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nissan cargo van!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Just for the heck of it I went to the Big 3 websites to price what getting a diesel in a truck would cost. Just that option in a basic truck increases the price:

Ford 6.7 Scorpion $7,835.00
    Dodge 6.7 Cummins $8,020.00
    Chevrolet 6.6 DuraMax $8,395.00

(Includes options you are forced to include such as transmission changes)

Might be just the ticket for some. Not me though.

J.C.
    AHH FORD being the most reasonable!

I remember just a few short years ago..it was a $5,000 option.

I never owned a Diesel, but definitely want one for personal.

I also agree that..if you take care of your vehicles..they should last a long time.

Comment

My 98 12v Cummins flatbed is still strong as heck! but the truck is falling apart around it. The fuel savings won't pay for that exta cost.

Comment

a replacement 3.0 diesel engine for my sprinter is around 19k and the trans is around 11k.

the air cooled 50hp. diesel in my new jetter is close to 12k.

diesel is the engine of choice overseas.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

diesels are nice around here because they generally have turbos. at 10000' elevation, you lose about 30% of a normally aspirated engine's power; just not enough air. But a turbo is a real good altitude compensator. Turbo-diesels are moster strong here as a result. I always had to tone down my driving on denver runs in the diesel because all of a sudden I wasn't the fastest accelerating thing on the road anymore.

I had a ford/international, older one, think it was the 7.3... the one right before the 6.0 came out.

It was a tough motor, but ate glowplugs and relays, and had all the other Fordy things I hate, especially the 'twin I-beam suspension'... great name!, waaayyy beyond stupid in practice, unless you like needing two ballfields to turn a corner, your cab jumping up and down from tire scrub while you do it, wearing out your tires way too fast because the outsides scrub off every time you turn and the insides scub off when you go straight from it sitting all duck foot because the springs have sagged (again), and one full inch of travel before you hit the suspension stops.

gimme a solid front axle with leaf springs every time. dodges have those nice riding coils so you can put in a new track bar every couple years... chevs of that era, even the one tons, had a-arms and coils and cv joints...another set of issues. IT'S A TRUCK. Put a TRUCK suspension under it so I can actually use it w/o it falling apart. If I want a nice smooth ride, I'll just leave some of the three thousand pounds of crap in the back of it next time I go to the dump.

AND, while I'm ranting, all those yuppie dip$hit unable to drive but just gotta have a 4wd people out there; THANK YOU so very much for making it impossible to buy a 4wd that actually works; because you idiots have to be able to push a button on the freeway at 70mph to light something up on your dash that says '4wd' so you can feel all safe and strong and manly, I cannot buy a truck with a geared x-fer case and a shift lever and w/o the center diff that defeats the entire purpose of having a driven front axle.

Honestly, it's hard to blame the mfr's; they just retool and build the crap that sells. Just seems so odd to me that there are that many idiots with enough $ to make it need to happen.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

That Nissan van looks like it could work quite well for some. In the American verses foreign made debate, it just doesn't matter that much to me anymore. Mainly because many so called American made vehicles are made in Mexico or Canada. My Plumbing truck is a 3/4 ton 1993 Dodge Ram extra cab turbo cummins with a walk in utility bed. It says "Made in Mexico" all over the truck part, but my 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup says made in Fremont California, which was an old shut down GM plant! So the question really is do you want an American vehicle built in Mexico or elsewhere, or a Japanese vehicle built here by Americans? Where is the big 3 loyalty to us US consumers?
            Last edited by plumb4life; 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
              That Nissan van looks like it could work quite well for some. In the American verses foreign made debate, it just doesn't matter that much to me anymore. Mainly because many so called American made vehicles are made in Mexico or Canada. My Plumbing truck is a 3/4 ton 1993 Dodge Ram extra cab turbo cummins with a walk in utility bed. It says "Made in Mexico" all over the truck part, but my 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup says made in Fremont California, which was old old shut down GM plant! So the question really is do you want an American vehicle built in Mexico or elsewhere, or a Japanese vehicle built here by Americans? Where is the big 3 loyalty to us US consumers?
              My Dodge Ram is built in Mexico and my 2003 express is made in Canada
              Buy American? LOL if you want American buit buy that Nissan or Toyota.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                a replacement 3.0 diesel engine for my sprinter is around 19k and the trans is around 11k.

the air cooled 50hp. diesel in my new jetter is close to 12k.

diesel is the engine of choice overseas.

rick.
                Rick, at those repair costs I would rather buy used chevy and fords and toss them buy another used van when the engine or trany gives out.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

YUK !
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    For years I read rumors with Cummings & Ford Teaming up, but I just don't see it happening.

If I'm correct International isn't building the NEW Ford Diesel's anymore are they?
                    ford buids there diesel now
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I think the 6.7 is all Ford. Engineered and built.

The 6.0 was such garbage it almost bankrupted Ford (Opinion). They went into lawsuits & arbitrations after a many decade partnership. Last I heard it was settled, and the partnership completely dissolved.

J.C.
                      6.0 had 100 percent fail rate on head gaskets and head studs there fix detune or under power the engine the only problem as soon as you put on an intake and exust theres to much power and pop
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I personally wouldn't touch a diesel of any kind right now in the light/medium duty market. The emission requirements the EPA has instituted have put a stranglehold on the designers causing the engines to cost so much for initial purchase & maintenance that I really do think they will kill it.

Engine wise, one of my mechanic customers agrees. I was asking because I really wanted an experts opinion. He said it makes no sense for 99% of situations. And that a gas engine that can do the same job will go 250,000 miles+ when serviced properly.

J.C.
                        my question only cause my 99 F250 7.3 powerstroke has 243,000 and is just broken in where my 97 E350 with 236,000 is barly running so i got a new van cause 200,000 to 250,000 mile on a gas engine is good but for a diesle they run longer not to mention all you have to do is change oil, air fillter ,and ,fuel filter thats your basic tune up Real Trucks Dont Use Spark Plugs
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                          my question only cause my 99 F250 7.3 powerstroke has 243,000 and is just broken in where my 97 E350 with 236,000 is barly running so i got a new van cause 200,000 to 250,000 mile on a gas engine is good but for a diesle they run longer not to mention all you have to do is change oil, air fillter ,and ,fuel filter thats your basic tune up Real Trucks Dont Use Spark Plugs
                          That 7.3 was just an unkillable beast. One of the best.

That 6.0 was a boat anchor at the drawing board.

Variable vane turbo.
                          Ultra high pressure internal oil.
                          Head gaskets.
                          TTY headbolts.
                          Intercooler leaks.
                          etc. etc. etc.

I plumbed a house beside the service manager for a major Ford dealer. Not too long after the 6.0 was widely distributed, he told me that he currently "had 13 trucks with 6.0's waiting for engine pulls....."

Junk.

Then the 6.4 comes along with it's great 6 to 8 mpg.

Some are saying the 6.7 has it all worked out, but who wants to be the $40,000.00 guinea pig?

J.C.

Comment

Variable vane turbo.
                            Head gaskets.
                            TTY headbolts.
                            Intercooler leaks.
                            etc. etc. etc.

I plumbed a house beside the service manager for a major Ford dealer. Not too long after the 6.0 was widely distributed, he told me that he currently "had 13 trucks with 6.0's waiting for engine pulls....."

Junk.

Some are saying the 6.7 has it all worked out, but who wants to be the $40,000.00 guinea pig?

J.C.
                            I agree the mech. I have who owns his shop him and his brother together were both ford factery traned and certifieyed tech . HMP is the shop when they opend there shop after dealer sold out I found them They charge very fair rates almost to low some times but thats why there booked geys ship trucks to them from out of state no joke and he said thats all 6.0 are good for his boat anchor
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Variable vane turbo.
                              Head gaskets.
                              TTY headbolts.
                              Intercooler leaks.
                              etc. etc. etc.

Junk.

J.C.
                              and the fuel milage on 6.4 once you ad tuner and cat back exaust goes up to apx 12mpg
                              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                                and the fuel milage on 6.4 once you ad tuner and cat back exaust goes up to apx 12mpg
                                I know. Buy a new truck and fix it.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X