Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing in the DC Area questions

Hello

I am relocating to washington DC in the fall and thinking of continuing my plumbing career there.

I hold my master license in Texas and have run my own business for about six years.

My questions are what is the market like there?

What is the licensing requirement there like?

How hard would it be to establish a new service and or remodelling company in the area?

Anything else you think would be helpful in making an informed decision.

Thank You
    Aaron

Re: Plumbing in the DC Area questions

welcome to the forum

bill, plumbercrack will be the best to answer as he is well established there.

be prepared for parking tickets there

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Man things must be tuff in Texas I know of 3 other master plumbers that are relocating out...

There is a regular here that plumbs in the DC area that I bet will be able to answer your questions

Comment

You were quick on the draw Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bestchoiceplumber View Post
          Hello

I am relocating to washington DC in the fall and thinking of continuing my plumbing career there.

I hold my master license in Texas and have run my own business for about six years.

My questions are what is the market like there?

What is the licensing requirement there like?

How hard would it be to establish a new service and or remodelling company in the area?

Anything else you think would be helpful in making an informed decision.

Thank You
          Aaron
          A couple things.... if you have never worked on old inner city plumbing before you are in for a big surprise. I know everyone thinks plumbing is plumbing no matter where you are but here, it's not. Trust me. Everything is a hundred years old. You look at it wrong, it'll break.

You better know hydronics if you want to survive your first year. From November to February there is no new work or even remodeling. Very little service work other than heat emergencies. When Congress goes home for Christmas there is no longer a rush hour.

The citys' engine is the Federal Government. Summertime means all the staffers go back home, work slows. You just missed an explosion of work when the Democrats came to town on the last election. Pretty sure we'll see another when they get out of town in 2012.

Cost of living is through the roof. Near the highest in the nation.

I rack up an average of $300-$400 in parking fees per month. That's just for ONE van. We have a fleet of nearly 15 on the road everyday. That comes right off your bottom line.

Found ANOTHER bullet hole last week on one of the trucks. That brings the count up to 6 that I know of. It's another one of those things about the job you try not to think about too much. Don't let your wife find out either. She'll want you to move again or change professions.

City inspector are all on the take. If you don't know someone on the inside you'll grow old and die waiting to get an inspection.

Work in the suburbs is really slow right now. Some of those guys try to sneak into town and have ago at it. They don't stick around long.

Come on up! We'll make a party of it.

Comment

Thanks Rick. I am not looking forward to the parking nor the weather.

Okiebill - Things are good in Texas, I hate leave, but this time I have no choice but to follow my heart and she lives in DC. In fact Texas just changed liscensing requirements here so soon there will be no new master plumbers in the near future.

plumberscrack - I will start work on that armor plating for my truck
            Never worked on anything that old. Here in Dallas fifty years old is about the max. Would love to touch base and pick your brain over lunch next time I am up that way.

Aaron

Comment

aaron, don't give up that easy. stick around here and have fun mixing it up with the forum.

did you ever think of working for and established company there until you get things figured out. plus chances are you'll need to get your license there before you can get out on your own.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                Not giving up at all. I have thought about that and figured that would be the best way to go. I just want to get some ideas of what it is like in the field up there.
                A buddy of mine makes a good living down here just doin camera, sewer clearing and jetting. I might be leaning in that direction if there is a market for it.
                I am eleicible to sit for the dc test, but still not sure how they run their tests yet. I am hopefully gonna have my house in Texas rented by September and can get up there then.

Aaron

Comment

4 hr. test .80 plumbing questions 20 gas .Had to buy the 2000 IPC Plumbing code. The 2000 International Fuel Gas Code . And the 2003 International Mechanical Code. Phase 1 Just to get your paperwork approved to be able to sit for the test takes an act of God.The board meets once a monthYou really have to have your ducks in a row .Go to their website DCRA.GOV or something like that. The after you pass the test you will still need to go through the registration process. Phase 2 includes getting bonded etc. Yep it's a treat. Good luck
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

city inspector are all on the take. If you don't know someone on the inside you'll grow old and die waiting to get an inspection.

sad

Comment

Working...
                    X