X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete breakers

I have in the past rented a Bosch "Brute" Electric Jackhammer and have found that it is a bit overkill for residential work ...

I have a small Hilti chipping hammer/hammerdrill (TE72) and love it but it does not have the muscle for true concrete demo so I was thinking of getting a HILTI breaker like the TE-1500AVR as a slightly more manageable breaker but still have good breaking power...

Since I work alone tool theft abuse is not an issue so I can buy the good stuff
    any thoughts on good concrete breakers?

Here is a link to the Hilti: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4KFM3XXkfs
    Last edited by OkieBill; 08-03-2010, 09:09 PM.

Re: Concrete breakers

I don't. Every electric one I've seen or used seemed too weak to get after it. Even the big ones with the cart. Compressor, jackhammer, and someone stronger than me.

Do you own a concrete saw? That might be a better way to go for you if you're running into many slab problems. Cut, cut, cut, crosscut, prybars.

J.C.

Comment

I have a concrete saw and it is great but it is a mess maker ( Dust or Dust and water if I wanna save the diamond blade).

The brute is a great breaker but honestly I kill myself loading and unloading it from the truck

Comment

We have two Brutes, and the Brutes little brother. Then we have one that is slightly smaller than it. They all work real good.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have a Hatachi 35lb that hammers great and it is comparably light. Doesn't hit quite as hard as the Brute, but good. I think the Brute is 60lbs and you can really feel it.

Comment

I have 2 big concrete breakers..one being the Brute and the other a Milwaukee Demolition hammer.

Of the 2, the Milwaukee is much easier to maneuver around than the Brute.

and of course a few rotary hammers we have.

Never had Hiliti but I know they are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              I have 2 big concrete breakers..one being the Brute and the other a Milwaukee Demolition hammer.

Of the 2, the Milwaukee is much easier to maneuver around than the Brute.

and of course a few rotary hammers we have.

Never had Hiliti but I know they are expensive.
              I know it is expensive stuff but my Hilti TE72 is 19 years old and still kicks butt... The body of the drill is actually made of metal They are probably not made as tuff as they once were but they have a great warranty and have their US headquarters in Oklahoma.
              I did not know until the other day that Milwaukee hammer drills have their own spline pattern I thought SDS MAX would work in them

Unless someone tells me how much they suck I think I'm gonna get the Hilti.

Comment

To be quite honest, that video you posted of the Hilti was really nice, and seemed better then my Milwaukee. Now my Milwaukee demolition hammer is like 18 years old, so I don't know what the new ones are like.

I know this sounds so "cliche" but a cousin of mine (by marriage) is climbing the Hilti corp. ladder, and he swears by Hilti, and is trying to have us switch. He actually almost moved to Oklahoma but his wife wasn't having any part of it. An Italian Jersey girl in Oklahoma..she would stick out like a sore thumb.

Growing up Hilti always seemed to be #1 as far as preference from contractors..I just never used one.

Comment

Since you don't like the Brute the next step down is the Hitachi 40lb breaker demo hammer uses the same size bits as the brute but hits hard and can be held sideways. Then any of the 30lb series breakers are good (chipping hammers) they use the smaller points and chisels. I have a 90lb hydraulic which is light and really packs a blow I use it the most for stairs and slabs but I usually bypass my brute hammer and go straight to my 40lb Hitachi for trenches etc.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have 3 elec. Jack Hammers The 35 lb Makita is nice for light work.
                    The 60 lb. bosh is Ok. But the best one is My old 47 Lb. Makita.
                    Had it rebuilt.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

amazing that we all think alike

i save my 2- brute 60# hammers for the big stuff like 4-6'' concrete on the floor. too heavy for dirt/ clay. digs itself into the ground and you spend all your time pulling it out.

the makita 1500 is a strong hammer that i use for regular 4'' concrete. then i have a milwaukee sds max that's a 30# hammer. also good for flat and walls. the 3/4'' bosch hammer is great for digging and also walls. and the hitachi is waiting for it's time to come out of the box.

hammers/ breakers are like snakes. there is a proper hammer for every job. if i had to chose between them all. a 30# hammer would be a good overall choice. but the 60# is like the timberwolf 1.25'' snake, the 30# is like the k-60 and the 15# is like the k-50. the 5# combination drill/ chipper is like the k-39.

so that's my take on it

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Um....what's wrong with a 10 pound sledge hammer?

We lease the Hilti 1500. Works great but none of the slabs here have rebar in them

Comment

There is nothing like a 90 pounder that runs off air for the big stuff, and a rivet buster for clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                            There is nothing like a 90 pounder that runs off air for the big stuff, and a rivet buster for clean up.
                            get any strippers lately ?
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I still have two Bosch electrics from at least 20 yrs ago. They are made of aluminum and the trim is green. They still perform as good as their first day on the job. My friend has that Hilti, last i remembered he liked it.

Comment

Working...
                              X