X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PEX being phased out by Jan 1st?

Pex gone???? Ah it wouldn't bother me a bit. As soon as I seen it being used many years ago, I first thought " well there goes all the skill in this trade" . Kinda like when they eliminated the lead wiping part of the plumbers test. Propress has its niche , a very narrow one but a spot in the " Kamunnity". It only works for the big hospital and commercial/industrial jobs. Jobs where customer has no worries about cost just as long as they are up and running, union jobs where no one cares how much it costs as long as it gets done. But in no way will a PP job look and or feel as good as a soldered job. There is something about the actual time and skill it took you to do that job the right way, and its calling you or should be calling everyday. It's called PRIDE and it's what I try to teach or explain to all my employees', it's not about the speed junior, it's about how it looks and performs. I like the PP but I have no use for it, times are tragically tuff here in Michigan. The big jobs where you can throw a dummie in there and PP the pipe together are gone.

Comment

I've soldered copper pipe for over 23 years and have no problem with some folks not wanting to make the change, more power to them. If soldering is what they do and they like it then why change right? Honestly I felt the same way before I started using ProPress.

But.... I will never go back to it. I use ProPress almost every day now, not just used for commercial. I use it for EVERYTHING I used to do with solder. I install all my water heaters with it, make repairs with it, install all my tub shower valves with it, everything.

I think the ProPress looks very professional vs a sloppy solder job (not saying all solders jobs are sloppy but you know what I mean, there is no comparison). Whenever my customers see it they're in awe, they love it. We have almost all basements around here, hardly any crawl spaces so our work is very exposed. I have never had a problem charging for it either.
      I take great pride in my work and I also take great pride in doing a good job, quickly.

In my opinion the ProPress IS the future for copper and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Comment

"propress is to no hub, what solder is to lead and oakum"

it still takes a pro to properly install it. it just doesn't take a whole crew to install it anymore

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

What crew? water piping is pretty much a one man job
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            maybe on a residential job. but on large jobs with large pipe, it's at least a 2 man job. 20' pipe with hangers anywhere from 8' off the ground to 20' up is not a job 1 person wants to do solo.

for me now, i try to do it all by myself. but as the pipe gets big, heavy and long and high, the risk go up.

99% of all work i do myself. there are projects that have building engineers and projects i work for other plumbers.

so it's true, 1 man can assemble piping in most cases, it's typically more realistic for 2 or more on a job site. remember there is more to plumbing than service and repair. the building/ structure had to be built there in the first place.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Over the years i have found that 1 man and apprentice are usually about 3 times more productive than 1 man by himself. This doesn't apply to all jobs but does apply for most new construction install jobs. This is what i tell my customers when they complain about 2 guys on a job if it's T&M work.

Comment

Working...
              X