• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water soluble flux

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
    Yes it is we all stopped in for a visit .. Interesting place
    Its so close to were i grew up, i new were i was
    Your weather was a real break
    His original shop was on Clark street. Just north of Wriggly field if I recall.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Start using PEX and you'll throw that ProPress in the Pacific.

J.C.
      not necesarily as with the right jaws, it will do pex too

we did a mock up at the roundup with a combination of copper/ propress and viega pex. we used the propress to crimp them both.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        not necesarily as with the right jaws, it will do pex too

we did a mock up at the roundup with a combination of copper/ propress and viega pex. we used the propress to crimp them both.

rick.
        I have too. I do think Viega should look into making a "stick-type" press tool. I really like the design better than the gun.

J.C.

Comment

I've tried samples of different water soluble flux in the past, and never had a problem soldering with any of them.

What's with all the Nokorode guys here? lol

I'm a Utility Flux man...Nokorode I'd put 2nd.

The worst is..and I can't put my finger on the name at the moment...but they are a black container with red top? Omg..talk about green hands after using that all day..and boy does it smell horrible!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            I've tried samples of different water soluble flux in the past, and never had a problem soldering with any of them.

The worst is..and I can't put my finger on the name at the moment...but they are a black container with red top? Omg..talk about green hands after using that all day..and boy does it smell horrible!!! lol
            Can a brother get his LACO on?

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
              That's it!!!!!!

Man..they need to ban that stuff...it's horrible!!

Comment

That's it!!!!!!

Man..they need to ban that stuff...it's horrible!!
                I know some guys love it. Like how it aggressively cleans. I think they're just stuck in their ways.

Burns those little cuts, doesn't it?

J.C.

Comment

I know some guys love it. Like how it aggressively cleans. I think they're just stuck in their ways.

Burns those little cuts, doesn't it?

J.C.
                  A long time ago the supply house was out of Utility and Nokorode was no where to be found, so I picked up a can of Laco. I used it one time and threw it out..just couldn't stand it. I swear I washed my hands for 3 days trying to get the green off of my hands.

Now I know someone here uses it...fess up fellas!!! hehe

Nah I know people are stuck in their ways..I know I am with certain products.

There is a pipe dope I can't stand either and I forget the name of that as well. It's in a white plastic cylinder container with a screw top lid. The pipe dope is grey and extremely messy!!! God help you if you get that on your hands..ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    NoKorode makes a liquid flux that is just like the paste flux but less the paste. I have used it and it works great. http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=246
                    ron, i'm not sure if this liquid flux meets astm b 813. nowhere in their spec sheet does it state that it does.

yet their paste aqua flux does state it meets the astm b 813 code.

the liquid one contains zinc chloride. no nsf or upc stamp.

while the paste aqua flux contains ammonium chloride. plus it has the nsf and upc stamp on it.

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=240 aqua flow

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=246 liquid flux.

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=235 flux spec sheet.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

A long time ago the supply house was out of Utility and Nokorode was no where to be found, so I picked up a can of Laco. I used it one time and threw it out..just couldn't stand it. I swear I washed my hands for 3 days trying to get the green off of my hands.

Now I know someone here uses it...fess up fellas!!! hehe

Nah I know people are stuck in their ways..I know I am with certain products.

There is a pipe dope I can't stand either and I forget the name of that as well. It's in a white plastic cylinder container with a screw top lid. The pipe dope is grey and extremely messy!!! God help you if you get that on your hands..ugh!
                      Sounds like Hercules Grrip or Pro Dope. Spreads easily....EVERYWHERE!

J.C.

Comment

Sounds like Hercules Grrip or Pro Dope. Spreads easily....EVERYWHERE!

J.C.
                        I looked them both up and it's the Pro-dope.

Comment

J.C.
                          LU 130 passes out LACO to all the apprentices. You have to use an ASTM 813 approved flux on the license exam. They cut apart the copper and check for residual flux after the pressure test.

LACO is made in Chicago and is probably the preferred water soluble flux in town. Aquaflux is OK too.

I generally use LACO, or GREEN DEATH as some guys call it, but I'm pretty tidy with it and never have a problem with mess.

I recently picked up a can of the Lenox brand Water Soluble flux (formerly made by Taramet). I use the Lenox sterling solder (also formerly Taramet), and found it to work pretty darn good with that solder.

It's all about controlling the heat. Different solders and fluxes have varying melting points. The Lenox stuff is designed to melt in the same range as the flux. You get it too hot and the flux burns right out.

The other major problem I see with standard fluxes like Nokorode is that sometimes you can get excess flux pushed into tub/shower valves and faucets.

That being said, I would say that 99% of new construction shops use regular flux because you can blast the fittings quickly and move on. Most Water Soluble users are service guys (in my experience around here).

I still keep a small can of the Oatey regular flux around for times when I can't get a positive shut/drain down.....that is until I can scrape up the bread for propress (and stop shoving the bread into the pipe!) Lenox actually makes a disolving "breadlike" material that I've used with good results.

-Chris

Comment

all i use is Nokorode pre tining flux and love it
                            i do mostly heating pipes
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

coppermate only for me gives that clean finish.only dope i use is true blue [rector seal] for all apps.

Comment

coppermate does not meet the astm b 813 standard.

this is the product from the same manufactor that does meet the astm b 813 requirement. http://www.canfieldmetals.com/aquabrite_flux.htm

is california the only state enforcing the code

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X