water soluble flux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water soluble flux

as far as i know PA does not enforcing the code ,i never was asked what type i use
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      coppermate does not meet the astm b 813 standard.

this is the product from the same manufactor that does meet the astm b 813 requirement. http://www.canfieldmetals.com/aquabrite_flux.htm

is california the only state enforcing the code

rick.
      How much enforcement are you experiencing when you used to work and use flux?

Seriously though, is this one of the things your inspector asks to see on the job? Do they immediately ask for the Flux can out of your truck? Does he have some sort of spray test to show if you've used the wrong flux? How often do you, Adam, Mark, Tooly, others get quizzed about it on your jobs? 50%? 75%? Every time?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        How much enforcement are you experiencing when you used to work and use flux?

Seriously though, is this one of the things your inspector asks to see on the job? Do they immediately ask for the Flux can out of your truck? Does he have some sort of spray test to show if you've used the wrong flux? How often do you, Adam, Mark, Tooly, others get quizzed about it on your jobs? 50%? 75%? Every time?

Thanks.

J.C.
        Just like the reaming.
        They only check the one job that you hire a new guy and he did not do it.

They occassionally ask.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Just like the reaming.
          They only check the one job that you hire a new guy and he did not do it.

They occassionally ask.
          About the same here.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

when it first came out, there were rumors that the inspector had a test for it. never saw them actually do a test.

but any plumber who has worked with the water soluble flux should be able to visually see the difference in the finished product.

supply houses don't have a stock of non soluble flux. it's the home centers and hardware stores that still seem to carry the non code stuff.

problem comes down the road when and if you get brought up in litigation. just ask mark what could happen.

i've repaired both above and below ground leaks that i know were flux related.

the question for everyone is, if it's required, why are more plumbers on this forum not using it, than are using it?

is it because you know that it is very difficult to get good results on service work?

i guarantee if you start using the required flux astm b 813, you too would be using propress

i've been using the flux for 15-16 years and for the last 5 or so years (3/2/05) propress. never had 1 problem with propress, but had my fair share of flux related soldering challenges. this coming from a plumber that had a 99.9% success rate with regular flux since 1975. up to 6'' copper on new construction.

all i can say is, soldering with regular flux is a no brainer, soldering with the required flux can be challenging and time consuming on wet lines.

propressing is never an issue

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

when it first came out, there were rumors that the inspector had a test for it. never saw them actually do a test.

but any plumber who has worked with the water soluble flux should be able to visually see the difference in the finished product.

supply houses don't have a stock of non soluble flux. it's the home centers and hardware stores that still seem to carry the non code stuff.

problem comes down the road when and if you get brought up in litigation. just ask mark what could happen.

the question for everyone is, if it's required, why are more plumbers on this forum not using it, than are using it?

is it because you know that it is very difficult to get good results on service work?

i guarantee if you start using the required flux astm b 813, you too would be using propress

i've been using the flux for 15-16 years and for the last 5 or so years (3/2/05) propress. never had 1 problem with propress, but had my fair share of flux related soldering challenges. this coming from a plumber that had a 99.9% success rate with regular flux since 1975. up to 6'' copper on new construction.

all i can say is, soldering with regular flux is a no brainer, soldering with the required flux can be challenging and time consuming on wet lines.

rick.
              I believe it's not used as much for a couple of reasons.

1) Although Mark has shown evidence, and some have worked on Flux related problems, the percentage of problems is so low that most don't feel it's a real factor. Even in the longterm.

And as Mark said in post 10-"I agree but the problem comes in when the person doing the soldering uses the flux improperly. I doubt you or I would ever have a problem but the Codes were not written for skilled plumbers as they are minimum standards."

Mark

Based on that, if a plumber is skilled. No problem or reason to change.

2) Because it is easier to work with. No need to even beat at that question.

J.C.

Comment

Will hot water melt and wash away the old flux....then does the problem only occur on cold water lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                  Will hot water melt and wash away the old flux....then does the problem only occur on cold water lines?
                  Unfortunately not

Comment

I believe it's not used as much for a couple of reasons.

1) Although Mark has shown evidence, and some have worked on Flux related problems, the percentage of problems is so low that most don't feel it's a real factor. Even in the longterm.

And as Mark said in post 10-"I agree but the problem comes in when the person doing the soldering uses the flux improperly. I doubt you or I would ever have a problem but the Codes were not written for skilled plumbers as they are minimum standards."

Mark

Based on that, if a plumber is skilled. No problem or reason to change.

2) Because it is easier to work with. No need to even beat at that question.

J.C.
                    you're correct jc. but we're not the ones to write the code. even if i agree with you it's still against the code to use the regular flux

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

you're correct jc. but we're not the ones to write the code. even if i agree with you it's still against the code to use the regular flux

rick.
                      Understood. And sometimes the code is wrong & changed back and forth.

Some even install galvanized gas pipe by code.

J.C.

Comment

Understood. And sometimes the code is wrong & changed back and forth.

Some even install galvanized gas pipe by code.

J.C.
                        exactly, because it's approved by our code. the flux is not

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

exactly, because it's approved by our code. the flux is not

rick.
                          Currently.

You got that nursery in perfect order yet?

J.C.

Comment

Currently.

You got that nursery in perfect order yet?

J.C.
                            just graduated today in baby class 101. got the diploma to prove it

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

just graduated today in baby class 101. got the diploma to prove it

rick.
                              Congratulations. Gonna' be so proud & big headed soon you're gonna' have to buy new pillows.

Very happy for you and Mrs. J.

J.C.

Comment

rick.
                                I think we have to take California out of the equation here. They have codes for codes for christ sakes. California is in it's own category all by itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X