X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Much Glue

As long as we're discussing flux and leaks that happen years down the road.....I ran into this today.
    This is what happens when too much pvc glue is used, especially if it is used in the socket side of the connection. This irrigation system was installed about 10 years ago.
    The big crack goes all the way through as evidenced in the first photo. You can see the sheen of the glue all the way down the bottom of the pipe and the spider cracks appearing.
    The last photo is the finished repair.
    Attached Files
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Too Much Glue

I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen. How do you know excess glue causes cracking like that? I'm asking that question, because I don't know.

I think we've all been guilty of using too much glue at one time or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
      I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen. How do you know excess glue causes cracking like that? I'm asking that question, because I don't know.

I think we've all been guilty of using too much glue at one time or another.
      Mmmmm...You can see and feel the glue all down the inside bottom of the pipe and the cracks only form in that. I've cut dozens of feet of failed pipe out over the years. And last but not least, the back of the glue can states it pretty clearly.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        Mmmmm...You can see and feel the glue all down the inside bottom of the pipe and the cracks only form in that. I've cut dozens of feet of failed pipe out over the years. And last but not least, the back of the glue can states it pretty clearly.
        Hmm...I'll have to look on the back of the can tomorrow. I couldn't find anything on Oatey's website.

Comment

What does it say on the can ? I wonder does it cause the pipe to get brittle and hair line crack or eat thru the p.v.c. over time ? I know if the joint is not wiped it is so pose to make for a weak joint but this I have never seen . Good pictures Slim

Comment

The only thing Oatey says is don't use to much glue, but they don't say why. They also say to not let the glue puddle up inside the fitting/pipe, which can be hard not to do sometimes.

What you see on the video..is not realistic out in the field.
            Last edited by Flux; 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              What does it say on the can ? I wonder does it cause the pipe to get brittle and hair line crack or eat thru the p.v.c. over time ? I know if the joint is not wiped it is so pose to make for a weak joint but this I have never seen . Good pictures Slim
              It doesn't cause it to get brittle, it causes it to get soft. And I probably should have stated this at the outset but forgot, the pvc pictured is class 200 which is standard for irrigation work around here. But, two years ago I cut out a 1" schedule 40 ell that the glue had puddled in and caused a crack. It took longer than 10 years for that one. I think I have a pic of it somewhere. I'll post later.

Comment

Here is a 45 that the glue had puddled in more than 10 years ago. The bulge (which was actually the bottom of the fitting) corresponds to a hard puddle of glue that was inside the fitting (which doesn't really show up in this photo sorry).
                Attached Files

Comment

I ran across a situation where too much glue turned a 3 inch pvc bushing to rubber and it blew apart. The glue was spilled on the outside honeycomb portion of the bushing. It flooded a nearby classroom. Very expensive disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                    I ran across a situation where too much glue turned a 3 inch pvc bushing to rubber and it blew apart. The glue was spilled on the outside honeycomb portion of the bushing. It flooded a nearby classroom. Very expensive disaster.
                    Wow! That's an awesome story. I wonder what the *#@%! k!*#z was thinking when he poured the glue in the honeycomb part of the bushing, "now dis aughta make it stronger"....

Comment

Are you sure it's glue and not just sap from a river birch tree?
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Women sure do have loooong memories.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          Are you sure it's glue and not just sap from a river birch tree?
                          For your information, the sap from a river birch tree DOES make the fitting stronger. You should try some.

How's that little sapling of yours coming along? Ready to sprout?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Women sure do have loooong memories.

J.C.
                            And an internal filing system that can produce the slightest, flippant remark one may have made over 22 years ago during a lengthy (painful) labor with one's first child. Amazing and disturbing (and annoying).

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              How's that little sapling of yours coming along? Ready to sprout?
                              Just about. Doctor said probably 2 more weeks. These contractions must be my karma for making fun of you though!
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X