X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Blue

Looked at a Big Blue Poly replacement the other day. Runs under slab approx. 30' or so through 2" corragated sleeving . The owner wants copper 3/4" . What would be the best way to pull the new service through the existing sleeving. I plan on digging it up at the curb box then pulling from there. Does it seem possible to attach the soft copper to the poly inside and pull from outside while someone is feeding/ unrolling from inside ?If it does break I know I am in deep doo doo..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Big Blue

safest way to pull is to insert a 1/4'' wire rope cable through the poly before you attempt to pull it out. this way you have a pull cable to rely on. you could do it with a good rope, but it's difficult to solder a cap on with a rope, unless it's pulled in after you solder the cap.

solder a cap on the 3/4'' copper and thread the cable through a hole in the cap. crimp cable stops on both sides of the cap with metal back up washers to prevent the crimp from pulling through the cap. now you will have a continuous cable that can be pulled from both directions while the copper is also pushed in.

i've done it this way with good results.

then with copper, you need to be careful it doesn't snag on an edge as it's not flexible.

but pex is much simpler and more forgiving. copper kinks and it's history.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick,
      I actually found the pulling tool earlier today. It looks like a cable that you thread a cutter head onto .Then you flare the copper and screw an adapter onto the spearhead and pull with a winch of sorts.Pretty pricey for the whole set up about $600 .. I was just about to call for utility marks and the homeowner called and said another co. was signed to do the job...Sucks next time I'll be faster on the draw

Comment

old one where did you find the pulling tool?? I have been thinking about adding some trenchless, just havent found a supplier yet.

Comment

I am in MD. Beltsville Construction Supply sells em'. Thay are also in the Wheeler -Rex Catalogue.Check their website as well .www.wheelerex.com. Looks like one heck of a splitter set up.Too bad I didn't get the job and get to try it out. Oh well good luck on your search

Comment

Working...
          X