X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat through 8 hour lead class today

To cover myself in the future on the new lead regulations, I sat through 8 hours of instruction to receive the safe lead removal certificate. It was as exciting as a root canal. but the minimum fine for non compliance is $57,500 ! How is your state treating you?

Re: Sat through 8 hour lead class today

No enforcement at all. And no educational requirement. I'm therefore, "ignorant and innocent."

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
      To cover myself in the future on the new lead regulations, I sat through 8 hours of instruction to receive the safe lead removal certificate. It was as exciting as a root canal. but the minimum fine for non compliance is $57,500 ! How is your state treating you?
      I was going to post something about this the other week, but I didn't want people to think I was nuts. My father got a TON of calls from some woman about.."how we have to take this class blah blah blah" and from the information she sent...it's going to piss off the majority of home owners in this country.

My father made a bunch of calls to all different kinds of people, and nobody has heard about this yet.

Bottom line is..we are not doing nothing yet.

Comment

fun day....57000.00 thats great for somebody looking to break us contractors already struggling..whats the guidelines to be determined as we feel needed for fine approval.

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
          fun day....57000.00 thats great for somebody looking to break us contractors already struggling..whats the guidelines to be determined as we feel needed for fine approval.
          It's the most ridiculous thing you ever heard in your life. I forget all of the details but maybe "plumb" can chime in on it.

Comment

From what I understand as a service plumber that does not do remodels we are not required to take the class. Any one that opens more than so many square feet of wall has to take the class. The most I ever open is 2 maybe 3 square feet. In most cases the wall is already open for me.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              From what I understand as a service plumber that does not do remodels we are not required to take the class. Any one that opens more than so many square feet of wall has to take the class. The most I ever open is 2 maybe 3 square feet. In most cases the wall is already open for me.
              We were not told that. We were told we HAVE to take this class. I mean this lady really pushed hard on the phone with my dad.

It supposedly affects Plumbers, Painters..and a slew of other people.

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
                Yes, the Lawyers are going to get much richer off this one! A non compliant contractor can remove no more that 6 square feet of lead painted material Drywall, plaster, etc.) Thats barely enough for a tub and shower valve job sometimes, and not nearly enough for a full house repipe. The thing is that if you disturb any lead in the house you own it and possibly the future health of all occupants. $$$$$$$$ Our deadline for compliance is Dec. 6, 2010. Buildings 1978 and older are the main targets. Another $300 goes to the EPA for the certificate.
                Last edited by plumb4life; 08-17-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

my understanding is it's a nation wide requirement. but then again so is water soluble flux

i'm under the impression it's a max of 6 sq. feet per any 1 room. and 20 sq. foot max. outdoors.

gives me a good legit excuse to have the customer call someone else to do the tear out and clean up. basically you need to treat it like asbestos. way overkill and i know from what i've already seen on job inspections, it's all smoke and mirrors.

i'm not wasting my time on another senseless requirement. call someone else to do the dirty work.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                    Yes, the Lawyers are going to get much richer off this one! A non compliant contractor can remove no more that 6 square feet of lead painted material Drywall, plaster, etc.) Thats barely enough for a tub and shower valve job sometimes, and not nearly enough for a full house repipe. The thing is that if you disturb any lead in the house you own it and possibly the future health of all occupants. $$$$$$$$ Our deadline for compliance is Dec. 6, 2010. Buildings 1978 and older are the main targets. Another $300 goes to the EPA for the certificate.
                    We need a revolution in this country..it's time.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      my understanding is it's a nation wide requirement. but then again so is water soluble flux

i'm under the impression it's a max of 6 sq. feet per any 1 room. and 20 sq. foot max. outdoors.

gives me a good legit excuse to have the customer call someone else to do the tear out and clean up. basically you need to treat it like asbestos. way overkill and i know from what i've already seen on job inspections, it's all smoke and mirrors.

i'm not wasting my time on another senseless requirement. call someone else to do the dirty work.

rick.
                      Contractors I work for that have taken the class, say anyone working on that job, whether they had anything to do with tear out or not, have to be certified, & sign a sign-in sheet each day they are on job. So that is how the EPA is going to eventually get money from all of us.
                      I'm with you, I want nothing to do with it, & will just hire an abatement co. if necessary, but this is the EPA's way of getting a $300 fee from everyone. If you aint certified, & there is more than 6 sq. ft. of pre 1978 wallboard removed, you can't work there. This is what my contractors are telling me.

Comment

How many more goverment jobs are they going to come up with to screw the working man

Comment

I know this is in effect for painters in Ohio. We had contracted to have our house painted late last year but the time and weather ran out so the painter did it this spring. Since our house was built in the 50's and probably would have been painted with lead paint, he told us he had to take a class to be certified to paint our house. I guess this took effect just this year because it would not have been a problem last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            I was going to post something about this the other week, but I didn't want people to think I was nuts. My father got a TON of calls from some woman about.."how we have to take this class blah blah blah" and from the information she sent...it's going to piss off the majority of home owners in this country.

My father made a bunch of calls to all different kinds of people, and nobody has heard about this yet.

Bottom line is..we are not doing nothing yet.

That lady wants your money.

Comment

went last week. It's like watching paint dry
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X