Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Glasses and PVC

Questions:
    1. Do you wear safety glasses when priming/gluing pvc?
    2. Has the dauber ever "flicked" and gotten primer/glue in your eye?

Answers:
    1. No (I should)
    2. Yes, and I ruined a good contact lens and spent a couple of days with an eye patch.
    Last edited by SlimTim; 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Safety Glasses and PVC

I was working overhead off a scissors lift one time putting together 6 inch sch. 80 pipe and I was wearing safety glasses and still got some primer flicked into my eye! It was like fire and I didn't even wait for the lift to touch the ground before I was running to find water to wash it out!

Comment

I'll bet I have flushed my eyes out with 5 gallons of coffee over the years, not to mention coke, bottled water and spit.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I'll bet I have flushed my eyes out with 5 gallons of coffee over the years, not to mention coke, bottled water and spit.
        So that begs the question...who did you ask to "spit in my eye".
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Been getting a little lax wearing my safety glasses.
          If I have learned anything it's that this forum warns me before something is about to go down.

(I.E.)
          We here were discussing Speeding.Within a couple days I got a ticket.

Thanks Tim

Comment

We are supposed to be wearing a respirator when the space isn't well ventilated.

I got glue in my eye one time. Thank god I had someone there working with me who rushed me to the hospital.

When I went into the emergency room, they stung my eye with something(not sure what it was), and then they put a small suction cup on my eye ball, that dripped this solution onto my eye. It was like Chinese water torture...drip...drip...drip...drip. 45 minutes worth of that...not fun.

The biggest thing was..I was afraid I was never going to see again out of that eye.

How did this all happen? I was on a ladder in a new construction home, hooking up a 2" PVC trap for the shower. Well I was looking up to make sure everything looked ok and "SPLAT" on my eye goes the glue.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Been getting a little lax wearing my safety glasses.
              If I have learned anything it's that this forum warns me before something is about to go down.

(I.E.)

Thanks Tim
              Let us know when that chunk or drop of something hits those safety glasses in the next few days.

Comment

No. Not usually. Where regular glasses all the time and while they don't have shields, they have saved my eyes more than once.

A few people I know have had Lasik & told me I should consider it. I did. But then thought I would get lazy about using safety glasses and damage my eyes.

J.C.

Comment

almost 5 years ago now I bought a pair of Oakley Bottlecaps. These have been my absolute favorite glasses. And they are ANSI Z87.1 listed.
                  I've bought new lenses for them once, just this past year, so they've been pretty durable, even with using them as safety glasses.

I have mild lazy eye in my left eye, so when I'm in very much light at all, that eye just clamps shut, so the fact that they wrap around keeps people from noticing.

Anyway, yes, I wear safety glasses when solvent welding
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    almost 5 years ago now I bought a pair of Oakley Bottlecaps. These have been my absolute favorite glasses. And they are ANSI Z87.1 listed.
                    I've bought new lenses for them once, just this past year, so they've been pretty durable, even with using them as safety glasses.

I have mild lazy eye in my left eye, so when I'm in very much light at all, that eye just clamps shut, so the fact that they wrap around keeps people from noticing.

Anyway, yes, I wear safety glasses when solvent welding
                    I have a pair as well. I had no idea they were safety glasses! Thanks for the info.
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      Questions:
                      1. Do you wear safety glasses when priming/gluing pvc?
                      2. Has the dauber ever "flicked" and gotten primer/glue in your eye?

Answers:
                      1. No (I should)
                      2. Yes, and I ruined a good contact lens and spent a couple of days with an eye patch.
                      Thanks ,I needed this wake up call!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                        So that begs the question...who did you ask to "spit in my eye".
                        What you do is spit straight up in the air then position yourself to "catch an eyeful".
                        Then you don't have to worry about contamination 'cause its your own spit.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have been bad in the past about wearing eye and ear protection. Stupid me... I now have had ringing in my ear for the last 6 months and I dont think its going away all because I Didnt take 30 seconds to find ear plugs when i was shooting anchors into the wall.

Also... I was tying another circuit in a few months back and was too lazy to flip off the breaker. Also wasnt wearing safety glasses. I shorted the line and burn up my pliers. nice little chunk of hot metal hit me right on my brow line.

I thanked God for protecting me in my stupidity then shut off the breaker and put safety glasses on.

Its sometimes a pain. but well worth the effort.

Josh

Comment

I now carry a box of safety glasses and a box of ear plugs. No more excuses. (Now I have to remember to wear gloves when chiseling out morter and brick. My thumb can't take too many more hits.)

Comment

[QUOTE=drtyhands;307609]Been getting a little lax wearing my safety glasses.

(I.E.)

Thanks Tim[/QUOT

You better were em this week end

Comment

Working...
                              X