Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New laptop, same old marketing!!!

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
    A) You're missing the point...why not just quote the price in the original ad, why should you have to go looking for it?

B) I tried ALL of the links in the e-mail I received and none of them led to any pricing.

C) It is likely not listed in the ad because they are probably embarrassed that the pricing is so far out of whack, even with "special" software.

It's in the ad, all you have to do is click "buy now" and the price pops right up. Just because you click "buy now" doesn't mean you have to buy it now.

Comment

Rob, adjust the screen brightness. If you go down to the search just above the start button type in screen brightness then edit the power profile. You will see that when running on battery, your brightness is at about 33%. It will reduce your battery life a bit but the brightness difference is huge.

BTW.. the brightness setting are tweaked on all the preconfigured machines ;-)

Josh

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      I have the Dell semi rugged, one step lower then fully rugged and that computer is great. I have used it in the field for a couple years now, daily.

I use the lt1000 with the dell semi rugged and the only problem I have ever had is the sun. I tried the cheap computers and am to scared to touch the keyboard with my wet hands.

I am very pleased with Ridgid and Dell and for them to team up, I think it is a wonderful idea! I have always said if you are serious about the lt1000, then you need the heavy duty laptop, this is the only way to go. Now, i am sure you can get the daylgiht screen with the rugged dell, so that solves the only other problem I have ever had.

Perfect combo and worth the $$ in the long run.

Comment

I have to say I am a little surprised at this thread and the unrealistic expectations of some. Of course you can always find computers with cheaper components but it goes back to you get what you pay for. These computers are not meant for a kid playing on the Internet they are meant to use in harsh environments with the LT1000 and/or RidgidConnect.

Some of the testers have gotten away with using netbooks with the LT 1000 but it is not recommended because most do not have the required memory to work properly.

I spent a few minutes on the Dell Web Site configuring a non-Ridgid Dell Latitude E6400 XFR which is not configured for the LT 1000 or RidgidConnect and the price was even higher. In other words these are the prices people are paying for these in the real world. I am currently paying over $3,000 for my tablets and they do not have anywhere near the same features.

Mark

Edit: I checked again and with discounts it looks like you could buy them cheaper going to Dell it Ridgid does not discount them at all.
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I have to say I am a little surprised at this thread and the unrealistic expectations of some. Of course you can always find computers with cheaper components but it goes back to you get what you pay for. These computers are not meant for a kid playing on the Internet they are meant to use in harsh environments with the LT1000 and/or RidgidConnect.

Some of the testers have gotten away with using netbooks with the LT 1000 but it is not recommended because most do not have the required memory to work properly.

I spent a few minutes on the Dell Web Site configuring a non-Ridgid Dell Latitude E6400 XFR which is not configured for the LT 1000 or RidgidConnect and the price was even higher. In other words these are the prices people are paying for these in the real world. I am currently paying over $3,000 for my tablets and they do not have anywhere near the same features.

Mark

Edit: I checked again and with discounts it looks like you could buy them cheaper going to Dell it Ridgid does not discount them at all.
          Just speaking for myself, I do not have any unrealistic expectations. I would expect any other laptop configuration to NOT work as well as the preconfigured Ridgid setup.

The question any business person has to ask is a product x amount of dollars more valuable to them than another way of doing similar things. Many of us spend everyday figuring something out or a way around this, that, or the other. So our brains are almost trained to look at something and see if we can "improve" on it. Be it performance or price.

Looks like a great setup. Everyone just has to figure out when they will go into the "black" with one.

Maybe they already do, I don't know, but Ridgid should offer a free year of RidgidConnect for every purchase of any of the
          camera related setups.

1) It exposes the users to RidgidConnect.
          2) An incentive to buy.
          3) And most importantly, once into the system, most will want to continue using it beginning a longterm revenue stream.
          4) More people using it, more exposure. More exposure, then other fields are more likely to become interested and therefore use it.
          5) More $$$ for the Emerson boys. Is my check in the mail?

You can learn even from crack dealers.

(I DON'T believe that everyone purchasing a system will use RidgidConnect regardless of how the software may be geared)

J.C.

Comment

I can't spend 5k for a laptop no matter how tough it is, why? I am one of the fools who spent 4k on a i386 55mhz (pre 486) with support that was going to make my business propel into the future! Problem was and still is new faster hardware comes out (although slower nowdays) and you are forced to upgrade because of software and the speed. I would hate to look over at a perfect condition tough laptop that was now not even fast enough to give a first grader. So I learned to compromise and buy middle of the road stuff and it has worked out for me to A. Last and B. Not make me cry when I have to upgrade to another.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I'm fortunate enough in where I can build my own computer, and have a software friend to finish it up.

Before I went to Mac, I built a water cooled tower(PC).

It had dual pumps-heat exchanger-cooling devices- and anti freeze running through out. It outlasted any PC you could of possibly gotten anywhere in the market, and one of the best decisions I ever made at the time. Everyone in the computer industry will tell you that heat kills a hard drive. The average computer runs about 160 degrees +. My water cooled ran about 89 degrees and one of the fastest P.C's I ever owned.
              Besides, it was a lot of fun installing all of the components and I learned a little bit a long the way. I moved to Mac because of software issues and that's what ended my PC run...not the hardware inside of it.

To have one of these custom Koolance built towers would of cost me about $5000.00 + I built it myself for about $1,500.00. (case alone was $500 rest on hardware)

This particular Dell is basically a laptop in a scuba suit to protect it.

One could easily build a better laptop hardware wise, and it would be much cheaper and better built than what dell is offering.

For me personally..I could never justify spending $5,000.00 for a laptop for any reason.

Just my .02

Comment

The new line of Dell/Ridgid computers are not for everyone but there will be a market. Small shops where the owner has control over every piece of equipment, you probably do not need a laptop built to military specs or that has an indoor/outdoor screen. However, for large corporations who have gorillas working in harsh environments it is the ticket. Did anyone really think Ridgid was going to offer up a laptop which was under powered, easily subject to damage and did not have an outdoor screen? Can you imagine the complaints that would have come in? As has already been pointed out there are already inexpensive alternatives out there.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  I wouldn't even take a Dell for free.
                  Couldn't have said it better

Used one for 5 years primarily for uploading programs into water source heat pumps. The friggin power cord recept. in the back was the biggest problem I had with it. Probably would have been better if it wasn't used in the field.

James

Comment

Even basic laptops (Non Netbooks) can be had soooo cheap now. Got this one recently. Has it's ups and downs. Seems 5x faster than my old one and 10x more than what I need.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-LED/#firstTab

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X