X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptop, same old marketing!!!

Just opened my e-mail to find that Rigid and Dell have brought out a line of "ruggedized" laptop computers.

So I sez to myself, I sez: "Hey, that's a cool idea" and then I sez,(the same thing everyone sez):" Gee, I wonder how much they cost"?

Now, after trying all of the links on the marketing screens, I sez: Dummy, the marketers fooled you again, (remember Charlie Brown, Lucie and the football??) they are not going to make it easy to find out the pricing, just like they do for all of those other products and services, you have to work in order to find out if you are interested in purchasing this product.

Maybe I missed a screen or a link or something, but if they can not make it simple to find the pricing, why should I chase all over the internet to find out what they cost.

Boo on Rigid and Dell for once again trying to use marketing tricks to try to promote their products. If the price is there I will apologize for being crabby, if it is not there, both Rigid and Dell owe all of us an apology.
    Last edited by APHCO; 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Re: New laptop, same old marketing!!!

Cinch the a.. cheeks when you see the $
    They have been around for 4 to 5 years for the fire service and 3x the price of a performance comparible laptop

Comment

My guess is they would be expensive, but why not just tell us how much they are instead of sucking you into calling the 800 number and having someone try to convince you that it is worth every dollar?

Comment

Pricing is here; http://premier.dell.com/portal/stand...z&cs=RC1200435

2 clicks away from the email.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

One simple phone call to a distributor with a part# would have gotten you the info.

Comment

With the ultra low price & decent performance of Netbooks, I think the "Ruggedized" computer is going to shoot itself in the foot with its ultra high price.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              With the ultra low price & decent performance of Netbooks, I think the "Ruggedized" computer is going to shoot itself in the foot with its ultra high price.

J.C.
              I agree JC... I can get a $300 netbook and throw it away when it breaks

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I agree JC... I can get a $300 netbook and throw it away when it breaks
                Exactly.

J.C.

Comment

I got the same email. Had the price in front of me in one or two clicks from the email link.
                  Over 4K dollars, no thank you very much.

Comment

I wouldn't even take a Dell for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I wouldn't even take a Dell for free.
                      I know. I didn't want to say but what's been done had been done.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/projectfai...f-deceit/10165

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        I got the same email. Had the price in front of me in one or two clicks from the email link.
                        Over 4K dollars, no thank you very much.
                        A) You're missing the point...why not just quote the price in the original ad, why should you have to go looking for it?

B) I tried ALL of the links in the e-mail I received and none of them led to any pricing.

C) It is likely not listed in the ad because they are probably embarrassed that the pricing is so far out of whack, even with "special" software.

Comment

At these prices no thanks Dell Fully Rugged $4754. Semi Rugged $4180.00, Semi Rugged $2567.00 and last but not least the Dell Standard $1579.00 I think JC has the right idea a $300.00 disposible lap top.

Tony

Comment

There is a big difference in performance between a netbook and a ruggedized laptop. for example the XFR is millspec and can be hosed down. Tough to protect a netbook in the rain.

But I agree.. there are a few routes to go with what laptop you use.

Another reason we formed the partnership was that we could have dell install and preconfigure Seesnake HQ and some other RIDGID software so it comes right of the box ready to hook up and run. And it takes the guesswork out of configuraing a laptop. The laptops we listed will all work well with the LT1000 and RIDGIDConnect.

There are a lot of routes you can take with selecting a laptop. This was just something we put together as a nice preconfigured package for the guys who want ultra durable and dont want to bother with setting up software.

Josh

Comment

I have the Dell semi rugged, one step lower then fully rugged and that computer is great. I have used it in the field for a couple years now, daily.

I use the lt1000 with the dell semi rugged and the only problem I have ever had is the sun. I tried the cheap computers and am to scared to touch the keyboard with my wet hands.

I am very pleased with Ridgid and Dell and for them to team up, I think it is a wonderful idea! I have always said if you are serious about the lt1000, then you need the heavy duty laptop, this is the only way to go. Now, i am sure you can get the daylgiht screen with the rugged dell, so that solves the only other problem I have ever had.

Perfect combo and worth the $$ in the long run.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X