X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" Gas valve for commercial kitchen

I got a call yesterday to change out a gas valve for a commercial kitchen in a big mall near me. This valve is wired in to a fire protection system so that if the fire system above the ovens and fryers dump it shuts off the gas supply. I have never seen one of these valves before but if I can replace or rebuild it I will most likely get a contract to do work in the other eight restaurants and maybe even the same thing for the stores in the airport near by! This guy needs some one to jet the lines on a regular basis at the air port and wants to get the same thing started at this mall and a regular plumber for all the stuff that breaks sounds pretty good to me and with the work I am getting from Lowe's this could be a huge home run for the company! Here are some pictures I did not take a picture of the valve just tried to get the specs to get the rebuild kit this valve is ten years old and his fire company supplied him with a valve but when I looked at it I could tell right away that it was not going to work as it was the wrong size! I then noticed that it had a rebuild number on it So I hope to be able to get the kit and can leave the thing in place and just swap out the parts. But if any of you guys have worked on these please give me some input always like to get all the info I can.
    Attached Files

Re: 2" Gas valve for commercial kitchen

the one you have is the electric solenoid actuated unit. most likely it's the solenoid that's bad. or it's the fire panel that isn't tripping it.

the more common ones are the cable actuated unit that is connected to the pull stations for the fire suppression for the exhaust hoods/ fryers.

the first thing you need to establish is if it's an electrical or mechanical problem. unfortunately you will probably have to get the fire suppression company involved as it's their system that operates the valve. unless there is a test position on the fire panel, you might end up tripping the fire suppression system all over my burger an fries

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

They tested it back in june and told him he needed to replace the whole valve . They sent him the valve and it was too small. they will not touch it as they are not licensed gasfitters . He threatened to drop their contract and they ordered the valve and delivered it the next day. I would think that their side is ok and a problem with the valve.

Comment

Sometimes, neither the solenoid or the valve is bad and it is in the board. I have run in to bad PLC cards after going nuts changing out, solenoids, valves and actuators. Have a good PLC guy come in and check it out first.

Comment

The old cable pull stations are the best, simple, simple, and simple.

Comment

Talked to the manufacture today and they told me the same as you Rick. test the coil , trip the fire system and check for power at the valve . He said I should hear it click if it is working properly. I am having second thoughts about this since I don't have any experience with the fire system end however the tec. support guy told me I could call when I am there working on the valve I don't know how well that will go over with maintenance supervisor but probably the best way to get the needed experience to feel more comfortable with working with these valves . How do you approach repair work on things you have no experience with ? How much of that information do tell your customer or do you simply walk away and inform them what you can do? Just don't want to loose all the other good paying work that I have done a million times over a valve that I have never worked with This other work could fill alot of dead time I am waiting for a Lowe's job to come in or cut out the BS estimates I do all over the Baltimore metro area. Crazy how I am falling in to work that I would have never expected to do and have not had a single day working in the old area I worked in for 10-1/2 years?

Comment

i doubt my insurance would cover me for this repair. even though the gas valve falls under my license, the system is controlled by the fire suppression system and that's a different trade and license.

honestly, even though i know i can repair or replace it, i think i would pass due to the insurance issue. especially if it fails during an emergency.

check with your insurance co to see if you're covered for this cross trade work.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

wow I never even thought about that ! That is definitely a deal breaker . I think I have 2 million for gas but don't know about the fire system being tied in if that would be a loop hole . Maybe the best thing is to pass on that valve but offer any other gas work and the drain cleaning work that seemed very stable but I think that will kill the deal but I don't want to kill my business .
                Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 08-20-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

ccp

i never take any work, because of a "promise" of anything in the future. where is his old gas guy? where is his old drain guy? why hasn't he called before? i'm like rick on this job and i feel like you are too. who cares what their company guy thinks. call tech when you want. i'm 65 1/2 and i still do it. i don't trust this guy and i live in indiana. your call. breid.................

Comment

Call back the manufacturer and ask if they have any factory certified field service people in your area. If so, you could arrange to do a tag team on the valve. Then, discount your rate and write it off as tuition. Now, you're the hero who maybe gets a reward (as in, all that restaurant and mall gravy work).
                    Oops, I just noticed the date on the original post. Oh well, I still think it's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by clipper city plumber View Post
                      wow i never even thought about that ! That is definitely a deal breaker . I think i have 2 million for gas but don't know about the fire system being tied in if that would be a loop hole . Maybe the best thing is to pass on that valve but offer any other gas work and the drain cleaning work that seemed very stable but i think that will kill the deal but i don't want to kill my business .
                      how pilots stay alive " when in doubt , don't "
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by buddycurt
                        hi
                        many people have their kitchens personalized. It's an error trying to find a perfect model for kitchens since people do things in their own ways and like to familiarize the kitchen with their own personality. What do you think is unique in your kitchen that only you could have invented such a thing or only you could have placed something like that there?
                        scram slimey spam
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          scram slimey spam
                          For the Slimey spam....

Stripper poles.

Comment

Originally posted by buddycurt
                            Hi
                            Many people have their kitchens personalized. It's an error trying to find a perfect model for kitchens since people do things in their own ways and like to familiarize the kitchen with their own personality. What do you think is unique in your kitchen that only you could have invented such a thing or only you could have placed something like that there?
                            Sorry but what the f*** !
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jay mpls View Post
                              for the slimey spam....

Stripper poles.
                              we need a spam zar !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X