X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: question on orphaned water heater

Glad this post is getting lots of opinions. I appreciate them all wheather I agree or disagree, as they are helping me form my final decision as well as educational.

For now I have a call scheduled tomorrow AM with the local municipal bld inspector to get his take and like Master said ask him when time comes to replace WH what would need to be done regarding unlined chimney.

Again, the unlined chimney, orphaned water heater, and the age of the water heater makes me lean towards and feel justified to ask for a direct vent water heater replacement.

If home owner came back and said they would pay for a new chimney lining only I think I would just take the ~500 credit and put in 500 of my own and get a DV water heater installed.

We will see. Will let you guys knwo how I make out tomorrow with code enforcement

thx again, very interesting discussion.

regards,
    harvey

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post

If home owner came back and said they would pay for a new chimney lining only I think I would just take the ~500 credit and put in 500 of my own and get a DV water heater installed.
      You're going to need more than $1,000 to have a Power Vent water heater installed. Try like $1,500 - $2,000 in your area.

Power Vent doesn't automatically mean it's better than an atmospheric water heater. More can go wrong with a Power Venter versus an atmospheric.

Comment

Hey Flux,

question for you, what is the difference between a direct vent VS. a power vent?

thx,
        harvey

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
          Hey Flux,

question for you, what is the difference between a direct vent VS. a power vent?

thx,
          harvey
          Direct Vent, No Power.

J.C.

Comment

Power vent is fan assisted meaning the flue gases are removed with the help of a fan on top one of the reasons why you don't want a power vent water heater. A power vent heater can also be "direct vent " The direct vent means it pulls all the needed combustion air from out side the building . and you have a second pipe connected to the heater . more expensive than std power vent . Then you have a atmospheric direct vent . This water heater vents flue gases directly out the wall like the power vent but with no fan , and it has a pipe in a pipe so to say the inner is the exhaust and outer is to drawl the combustion . You should think of these heaters as speciality heaters more for the " well your are joint to need a new chimney bricked up from the ground up. well then it is going to be cheaper to go with a speciality heater . The down side is like this you will buy another water heater while you live there right well do you want to pay for parts , fans , switch , etc or have a simple heater that can vent up a standard chimney .

Comment

J.C. and Clipper pretty much nailed it.

Power Vent

Direct Vent

Power Direct vent

Rheem & Bradford white both offer the Power Direct vent.

The only Power Direct Vents I've seen in my area..is where I live. I have yet to see direct vent or Power Direct vents in residential homes.

Comment

I would consider an electric water heater in a catch pan with a wags valve installed if your afraid of water damage when the tank fails. If the electrical requirments are readily available its the easiest and cheapest install.
                The wags valve will cut the water off to your electric water heater when it fails,preventing a flood...and all water heaters fail eventually if in service long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  Yea I think it's funny too but it's reality. The gas company isn't going to red tag anything because the chimney isn't lined, that's reality too. If that was the case almost every house in 6 towns in my area would be red tagged, they're not..

I think the entire home inspection business is nothing but a racket anyway.

Maybe I should become a home inspector. Get paid to inspect, give my opinion and not be responsible for anything. Just sign here!!!! Yea baby!
                  That may be the case, but if mechanical and venting codes are not followed or enforced, than why would anyone be as concerned about plumbing codes too?

Plumbing code for safety? who cares. Carbon monoxide kills faster

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                    That may be the case, but if mechanical and venting codes are not followed or enforced, than why would anyone be as concerned about plumbing codes too?

Plumbing code for safety? who cares. Carbon monoxide kills faster

I've replaced hundreds of water heaters that vent into an existing old chimney. Do I Know for sure that chimney is ok? Do I know for sure if it's lined properly or at all?
                    Should we be calling out a chimney inspector each time we replace a water heater?
                    Have I been doing it wrong all these years or is the inspector just not doing his job?
                    Just saying, I really don't know.

Comment

I have found a water heater in the basement venting into a unlined chimney in a two story home. The home had 3 levels. basement,1st and 2nd floors. On the 2nd floor they had a vented gas heater installed at one time and a hole was broken in the chimney. The home had since been converted to a central heating and cooling unit with duct work. The vented gas space heater was removed and the hole in the chimney was patched.

Now fast forward 30 years.........The patch had come out of the hole in the chimney and the central heat and air unit was pulling a draft on the chimney filling the upstairs with combustion gas from the water heater in the basement.

Water heater should be vented properly INSPITE of codes,inspectors or a 1/2 azzed plumber willing to go along with the flow because he can.

Comment

I would see if the sellers would meet me 1/2 way and flip for the cost of the chimney relining. Then relace the water heater at your cost . Seems fair to me.. Oh and there are certain codes about orphaned equipment .One is the 7 times rule.Basically what a few have already touched on here.
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X