X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New wonder toilets ?

What is the deal with all these new toilets and their different flush valves ? I think toilet manufactures are following in kohler's footsteps here . A lot of the new toilets : Gerber viper , Kohler wellworth & cimarron , american standard cadet3 , champion and champion 4 , Eljer Titian . And how many times will all the company s change these flush valves ? I bring this all up because today I went to a job thanks to "Home fixers" were the toilet was not flushing properly . Well turns out it is a kohler one piece made in 1986 talked to kohler and find out it will take them 7 to 10 business days to make the parts and another 7 to 10 to ship them . well this guy did not go for that and wanted to "just" replace the toilet . This got me thinking on the way to the supply house this same thing could happen with all these new "wonder toilets" 10 days to get the parts or don't use that part any more 10 days to get a retro fit kit . Now the rest of this may start to sound like a toilet conspiracy theory . Here is another question for you just why don't they push their dealers or supply houses to stock re build kits why not let them keep two on consignment they make enough money selling their fixtures ? Could it be because they want to make it easer to "just replace " the toilet that way they can sell new parts and a new fixture ? And whose to say this will not be the same with the new "wonder toilets " Just my 2 cents !

Re: New wonder toilets ?

There is no reason. And most of the new ones are garbage. I include all of the B.S., fast flushing, streaking, Class 3,4,5,6,7,8 whatever. And the person that designed and factored for the 1.28 gpf is an idiot too.

I said it. Hope his/her parents heard me too.

J.C.

Comment

I started checking out the Ferguson Pro flow they still have a standard setup and could put in better parts for how cheap they are. Just don't know how good they flush as the trap is 2" ? Good old Ferguson's online JC

Comment

Gerber still uses the traditional flapper, as I just put 2 of them in recently. But I guess it depends on what model you get.

Gerber for like 2 years had issues with their flush, but I'm extremely happy with the way they are flushing now.

Kohler is just ridiculous with their products anymore. They totally "f'd" up a perfectly good toilet (the wellsworth) with this stupid class flush (insert number).

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          I started checking out the Ferguson Pro flow they still have a standard setup and could put in better parts for how cheap they are. Just don't know how good they flush as the trap is 2" ? Good old Ferguson's online JC
          I want no parts of a Pro Flow toilet. I can't remember if crane or Briggs makes their toilets for them.

Comment

What model Gerber did you install?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              There is no reason. And most of the new ones are garbage. I include all of the B.S., fast flushing, streaking, Class 3,4,5,6,7,8 whatever. And the person that designed and factored for the 1.28 gpf is an idiot too.

I said it. Hope his/her parents heard me too.

J.C.
              You should have seen the new toilet they were pushing at the trade show last May in Long Beach. Its called "the stealth toilet" and flushes .8 gal.
              The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                What model Gerber did you install?
                The Aqua Saver - The Maxwell -

The Aqua saver (tank with 95 suffix) comes with a fluid master. The other has the rod and tank ball.

The Maxwell - is rod and tank ball.

I'm not sure about the other Gerber lines.

I mostly put in the Aqua Saver..and very pleased with it.

Comment

Seen more than one house that worked fine for 30 yrs that plugs up constantly after the remodel with low flow toilets. Especially with cast iron lines. The continuing trend to ever lower flow toilets just creates issues for me to solve. 0.8 gpf? That's a urinal, not a toilet.

I was a wellworth fan until they went from the flapper to the tower, lately I've been installing Briggs/Proflow for a cheap, functional toilet.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I put in Peerless for a mid cost working mans commode
                    Put a korky in it and it works almost like a good old one

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      Gerber still uses the traditional flapper, as I just put 2 of them in recently. But I guess it depends on what model you get.

Gerber for like 2 years had issues with their flush, but I'm extremely happy with the way they are flushing now.

Kohler is just ridiculous with their products anymore. They totally "f'd" up a perfectly good toilet (the wellsworth) with this stupid class flush (insert number).

My toilet of choice for the last few years has been the Gerber Viper and if they want an upgrade I sell them the Gerber Avalanche. I have the Avalanche in my own home and I have to say I'm impressed with it. Bottom line they flush great and that's what people want. Parts are pretty much standard, larger flapper/flush valve on the Avalanche though but still a flapper.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        My toilet of choice for the last few years has been the Gerber Viper and if they want an upgrade I sell them the Gerber Avalanche. I have the Avalanche in my own home and I have to say I'm impressed with it. Bottom line they flush great and that's what people want. Parts are pretty much standard, larger flapper/flush valve on the Avalanche though but still a flapper.
                        Is the flapper for the Avalanche a standard flapper..or did you mean it's a standard looking flapper, but larger in size?

I've only used the Aqua saver and their pressure assisted toilets, which I like as well.

Some Plumbers in my area "rip" Gerber..but I think they are a SOLID product.

I might have to try the Avalanche out sometime.

Comment

It's a larger flapper to fit the larger flush valve but it's readily available if you need one. I really like the Avalanche, it's the best flushing toilet I've seen yet. Just sold one this afternoon, they're great.

Comment

Clipper, that's one thing I've never liked about Kohler toilets is the whacky parts list. 6 or 7 Kohler flappers? I was going to post what others said; they keep trying to push this "green" BS so hard with lowering the gpf... I think at this point, they've done about as good as they're going to get with 1.6, but now the 1.28, less than 1 gallon...?? Right! That's a urinal, not a water closet. OK, went past the trap; how far down the line does that much water carry solids?? On the bright side, lots of work for drain cleaners and plumbers who clean drains$$$$. Bad for the homeowner.. Back to your point, Clip, it's going to be a Pain in the @$$ trying to track down all these parts as time goes by...

Comment

I am all for sales but not because parts are not readily available. I don't want to set up someone with this possible problem .

Comment

Working...
                              X