X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air testing F.C. sch 40 pvc

We mainly do remodels and service, so we rarely have to air test our DWV systems but lately we've had a few new houses. Does air really escape through the ends of the F.C. pipe? First house was all exposed underneath, no finish basement so I air tested the basically from the drops up with the rubber test caps and had no problems. This last one, today actually had a finished area below the K.S./laundry are so i shoved a test ball up the 3" C.O. and i could not get it to hold for more than 1/2 hr or so, just a few joints and i soaped the shiot out of them and nothing, the ball appeared to holding, soaped that too, and i would imagine the end of the pipe got some soap on it , no bubbles.
    The company i worked for previously only used solid core so this is kind of a new adventure for me. Just wondering if anyone else had this experience, i cut it with a chopsaw/abrasive lade, bevel the edge, joints are tight, like i said kind of a PITA.
    Last edited by bartnc37; 08-27-2010, 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Air testing F.C. sch 40 pvc

By the way if Plumber Rick responds to this I will then know what it was like to be in the crowd as moses descended Sinai with the stone tablets.:

Comment

I have air tested and never had an end leak on Foam Core pipe. Ever.
      I have heard someone else mention it and do not believe it currently.

Show me proof and I'll listen.

Pipe manufacturers specifically state to not test PVC with air now. I do understand freezing situations.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post
        By the way if Plumber Rick responds to this I will then know what it was like to be in the crowd as moses descended Sinai with the stone tablets.:
        Guess I'm dragging the stones to build the Pyramids.

J.C.

Comment

I didn't believe it could leak out either but i checked everything repeatedly, heck i pumped it to 15 trying to get it t show but no deal, it would get down to 3 or 4 pounds and hold from there. Like i said, i always used solid core and never had a problem. Typically a bona fide leak will make the gauge jump a little as you pump it up, so i've heard fro those that have had leaks

Comment

Nah man. Never. Especially chamfering the O. D. Are you doing just rough or rough and top out (VTR) ? Piping in the morning, testing in the afternoon ?

Comment

fill it with water, if you have a leak you'll know that way
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

In the end i cut above the C.O. tee and capped it with a 3" cap and it held, test ball must not have been holding but i sure couldn't see any leaks around it.

Comment

5# test is equal to the 10' head required. sounds like you found it. i was going to say it was the test ball. the foam core still has a solid inner and outer surface.

the only reason why air is not as safe is due to the fact that the air will store the compressed energy while water doesn't compress and therefore it doesn't pose an explosion danger.

the soap test should have shown some bubbles.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Guess I'm dragging the stones to build the Pyramids.

J.C.
                    Quiet!!!
                    Back to work...
                    Prince TutenSpaz approacheth.

Comment

It could be the co plugs that were leaking. Had it on a job a few years back, and the only thing that would work was Blue Monster tape and Gasoila. Once the test was done we cleaned that off and use wax on the threads of the co plug.

Comment

I always just wax and rectorseal the cleanout plug before putting it in.

also, what kind of soap were you using? I have terrible luck with the oatey leak spray, I always grab bird dog and have good results.

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                        It could be the co plugs that were leaking. Had it on a job a few years back, and the only thing that would work was Blue Monster tape and Gasoila. Once the test was done we cleaned that off and use wax on the threads of the co plug.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                        X