X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Twin Ell Fitting

Its not soldered together but here is a homemade twin ell made with copper.

Re: Homemade Twin Ell Fitting

Doing some Grohe work

Comment

No just playing in the garage. Twin ells are used on many older valves and some new ones,Grohe being one of them

Comment

Hi there TM, welcome over to Ridgid Forums. I never had the need to use a twin ell but to be honest I have not changed out many tub & shower valves. I repair most of them.

So what is the twin ell used for on the valve for? Looks like I get to learn something new today.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Grohe specifically called out the use of them for their diverter spouts

Comment

Its used to direct the water to the tub spout holding the gate up while the shower is being used and help prevent the showerhead from dribbling when filling the tub is desired. Its a really neato fitting I think Its used in combination with a diverting tub spout.

Most modern tub valves have them built into the faucet.

Comment

Alot of the older 2 handle t&s valves used these behind the wall, I also find them behind most of the niedecken valves.

Comment

Argh!
                You just reminded me how much of a pain in the az it is to strap the spout stub out due to the change of depth in the wall for the riser going back up to the shower head,which by the way needs to be offset for the valve block if it's put behind the valve.

Comment

master, hate to say it, but your design will not work basically all you built was a branch tee.

a twin ell uses more of a venturi tee assembly.

before you install that into a tiled wall. nail up a mock valve to test it with. you'll be glad you did

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    master, hate to say it, but your design will not work basically all you built was a branch tee.

before you install that into a tiled wall. nail up a mock valve to test it with. you'll be glad you did

rick.
                    Look who's up early on a sunday morning.'Nother diaper change already Rick

I remember looking into the twin ell provided by Grohe.So it looked choked down,so does every other device.
                    Any idea how it venturies with the diverter engaged.

Comment

you forget who was up first and second to wish you a happy birthday

the venturi affect only comes into play with the spout open. when the spout is closed and divereted back to the shower, then the venturi acts more like a flow restrictor.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

you forget who was up first and second to wish you a happy birthday

the venturi affect only comes into play with the spout open. when the spout is closed and divereted back to the shower, then the venturi acts more like a flow restrictor.

rick.
                        Love ya Bud

Comment

rick.
                          Ah Rick I hate to say it but it will work fine. It is a little more than just a branch tee.

Comment

I suspect one of the reasons they are not built into the Grohes is European valves are designed with much lower pressures and are less likely to overwhelm the shower-head. As I recall a lot of their stuff (European) is designed for pressures under 40 psi.

Mark

BTW: Today's project is to replace my regulator. Brenda says the relief valve has been leaking for weeks so I checked and the house-pressure is 160 psi.
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-29-2010, 11:49 AM.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Ah Rick I hate to say it but it will work fine. It is a little more than just a branch tee.
                              unless there's an internal 3/4'' x 1/2'' bushing with a 1/2'' stub past the tee, you'll be taking a shower with the bath

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X