X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubular Chromed Brass Soldered to Old lead Pipe

I had this old lead arm laying in my shop waiting to be melted down to pour cast iron closet flanges and decided to solder some chromed tubular into it and post it for discussion.

Some clown has already accused me of using JB weld......I guess he's never met a real plumber before.

Re: Tubular Chromed Brass Soldered to Old lead Pipe

Believe it or not...there are guys who call themselves Plumbers in my area, who don't know how to solder into lead.

Comment

Well I have never seen this before . What is different ?

Comment

Can you wipe a lead joint?
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Never have. Only heard of wiping joints in plumbing school. Never seen it done.

Comment

This is pretty ironic. I came onto this forum this morning to research this exact situation. I have a 1 1/4 chromed tail pipe piece that is split at the mouth where it joins the trap under a bathroom sink. It looks to me that the tail pipe is soldered to a pipe coming out of the wall similiar to the OP's picture. The pipe coming out of the wall is set with a big chunk of something that looks like lead.

Can I unsweat the tail pipe piece where the two come together using a MAPP gas torch and then what kinda solder did you use to put it back together?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by aggiejet View Post
              This is pretty ironic. I came onto this forum this morning to research this exact situation. I have a 1 1/4 chromed tail pipe piece that is split at the mouth where it joins the trap under a bathroom sink. It looks to me that the tail pipe is soldered to a pipe coming out of the wall similiar to the OP's picture. The pipe coming out of the wall is set with a big chunk of something that looks like lead.

Can I unsweat the tail pipe piece where the two come together using a MAPP gas torch and then what kinda solder did you use to put it back together?

Thanks
              If there is iron pipe in the wall then what you have is a solder bushing. But if the pipe in the wall is lead, it will be soldered like the OP demonstrated. If it is a solder bushing you can cut out the bushing and screw in a nipple or a marvel trap adapter. If it is lead pipe then you have to get it out with out damaging the lead pipe and then solder in a new quarter bend.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

brings back memories, looks good

back in detroit we had lead services that had to be repaired in the house. I soldered copper into the lead. i had other plumbers pay me to do it for them. lol

on my journey test we wiped and built a branch joint

Comment

My hat off to you sir!!! I tried this today, I wiped a couple joints like this years ago with my grandfathers guidance and it didnt come out nearly as neat as yours. Dont get me wrong I can still pack and pour but wiping a joint like that is the real test.

Comment

Are you sure that Fernco doesn't have an easier way to take care of that? LOL !

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                      Are you sure that Fernco doesn't have an easier way to take care of that? LOL !

Anybody can do that. What the master did is called craftsmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by where am i View Post
                        Anybody can do that. What the master did is called craftsmanship.
                        We all know that but what plumb4life said was a Funny LOL
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          Can you wipe a lead joint?

Can you? I can't. Never had the opportunity. My Dad did it well enough to pass the Journeyman's test back in the '60's. My grandpa could do it in sleep, God rest his soul. The older guys tell me that there used to be 1 guy in every shop that could wipe joints well and he would be the guy to do them all!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            I had this old lead arm laying in my shop waiting to be melted down to pour cast iron closet flanges and decided to solder some chromed tubular into it and post it for discussion.

Some clown has already accused me of using JB weld......I guess he's never met a real plumber before.

I just saw this thread. I've never had the opportunity to wipe a joint. It's sad to see old skills disappear. Maybe you could post a video of you wiping a joint?
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                            X