X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I Love The, Dremel MultiMax, Let Me Count the Ways

I had to replace a toilet Friday, upstairs bath, the tile floor was those octagonal tiles about 3" across and they are laid in a sheet. The toilet was excessively caulked. Not silicone, but latex I think. It wouldn't let go. In fact, the whole tile matrix was wanting to come up as i tugged on the bowl.

This is why I bought the multimax in the first place over a year ago but never had the opportunity to use it for this. I figured since I'm replacing the toilet anyway it won't matter if I accidentally chip the old one.

I fastened the flexible scraper to the tool and I won't say it was like slicing butter but it was like cutting cheese

No damage to the bowl. It oscillated through the caulk as I worked my way down the side. I repositioned the blade to 45 degrees and it fit nicely between the toilet and the back wall.

After the bowl was up I used the multimax to scrape the caulk off of the tile. It worked admirably. It left marks similar to what an auger leaves in the toilet bowl. A little hydroflouric (sp?) acid cleaned that up (brand name "rust stain remover" at the grocery store.)

I think a stiffer scraper may have worked better. I'll have to experiment next time.

Three weeks ago I used the multimax to cut a section out of the center divider of an expensive vanity (drawers on one side, cabinet on the other). The new marble top was already set in place when i got there and the drain hole was centered over the divider (thanks a lot!). It was 3/4" plywood. I couldn't fit a sawzall in the space. The multmax did a clean job (even with a dull blade.)

It's a keeper.

Sorry, no pics this time.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: How do I Love The, Dremel MultiMax, Let Me Count the Ways

Here TiZ :-)

Comment

bought one 9 months ago and it's still in the original packaging. although i did try 1 out at the store and it seemed to do a good job.

did the scraper cut through the toilet caulking or did it burn through it

i've had some toilets that were glued better than the tile was thin set down. i usually use a 5 in 1 painters putty knife and hammer it between the floor and toilet with good success. i should try the dremel in the future

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

How would it go at cutting through silicone as most of the toilets I come across are siliconed to the floor.

Tony

Comment

At a high speed it melted the caulk. It seems like it sliced more than melted at the lowest speed which is what I finally settled on.

I normally use a putty knife and hammer as well but last year, and don't ask me how it happened,one of the cheap 12" tiles cracked all the way across. You know that feeling you get in your gut the instant something like that happens....

Not to mention, the thought of swinging a hammer around the toilet gives me the heebie jeebies

I haven't tried it on silicone yet. I hope for the same results.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I use a utility knife and make sure I have a new blade on it. I have yet to come across a toilet I couldn't pull up because of any type of caulk. However...I've been eye balling the FEIN multimaster tool or something equivalent for awhile now.

Comment

Quite a few months ago contractor buddy told me to go and get the more expensive ($60.00) one from harbor freight.Two months ago they had it down on sale to $40.00.Still sits unopened.I'll use it one of these days.

Painters multi-tool to start,then finish on around with a 6" taping knife usually does the trick.

Comment

Mine cuts through what ever caulk or silicone was put around the fixture
                I use the flexible scraper blade and run it wide open
                Its real Handy pulling vanity tops that have a bunch of caulk along the wall
                I Used it Friday on a urinal that that had a tube of silicone holding it to the wall...Turning the blade lets it fit in tight spaces
                Iv had mine almost 2years and its still handy

Comment

I'm always looking or something to make pulling toilets and urinals easier.

Comment

I have a dead Dremel Multimax in my truck. It burned out, and didn't last six months. The warranty was 90 days or something like that. Anyone that wants the carcass can stop by and take it along with my thanks.

While I liked using it, and there were a couple of places that it REALLY came through for me. (Example: cleanly cutting a few 4" tiles out along with the sheetrock behind them so I could repair a leaking water line in a wall behind a toilet without trashing the wall). I found the motor to be weak, and it was extremely loud.

I'm going to replace it with a Fein multimaster. They cost more, but they aren't nearly as loud and they have more powerful motors so won't burn out. If you're going to really use a multimaster you may as well get one that won't crap out on you.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

A while back I walked a house my neighbor had fire restoration work done too. I told her good luck ever changing the toilets .The plumber had liquid nailed them down ! ..i wonder if one of those tools works on liquid nails..Was horrified to say the least
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                        A while back I walked a house my neighbor had fire restoration work done too. I told her good luck ever changing the toilets .The plumber had liquid nailed them down ! ..i wonder if one of those tools works on liquid nails..Was horrified to say the least
                        Talk about a bone head thing to do. I know of a plumber that when he installs pvc clean out tees he glues the plugs into the tee. Really makes one wonder what they where thinking.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

QUOTE=SewerRatz;309998]Talk about a bone head thing to do. I know of a plumber that when he installs pvc clean out tees he glues the plugs into the tee. Really makes one wonder what they where thinking.[/QUOTE]

Really, what are they thinking ? You might want to do him and the plumber that ever has to follow behind him and favor . Show him what pipe dope is
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post

Looking at the caulk i seen mine cut through , i would say it would

Comment

Working...
                            X