X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Expansion Tanks

For those that use thermal expansion tanks and install them at the water heater. What provisions do you make to prevent water damage if the thermal tank leaks? Water heaters get a pan because we all know at some time they all leak if left in service long enough. A floor drain would be ideal but most homes do not have floor drains in my area.

Re: Thermal Expansion Tanks

Last remodel, combo W.H ,LAUNDRY, AND FURNACE room. tile floor,
    floor drain with trap primer. EXP. tank, or water heater tank failure ,It's covered !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      For those that use thermal expansion tanks and install them at the water heater. What provisions do you make to prevent water damage if the thermal tank leaks? Water heaters get a pan because we all know at some time they all leak if left in service long enough. A floor drain would be ideal but most homes do not have floor drains in my area.
      I'm in the Bay area, Where You at ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Last remodel, combo W.H ,LAUNDRY, AND FURNACE room. tile floor,
        floor drain with trap primer. EXP. tank, or water heater tank failure ,It's covered !
        Unless its spraying out of the door into another room. I've seen one rupture and blow a hole through the drywall and flood the living room on the other side of a 2x4 wall. too bad they didn't put a floor drain in the living room.

Comment

I'm guessing, washing Machine floods are More to worry about !
          Not everyone has a watts valve. I have had one for 5 years,still in the box! HE HE. Know a Guy had a WASHLET ,THAT LONG !!!

Comment

2.5 years until joey was begging for it 5 months into her pregnancy.

at the way phoebe is going through diapers, i'm going to see if i can fit a baby seat onto it

have a supply of automatic shut offs for washing machines and water heaters at the shop. they do work very well.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I'm guessing, washing Machine floods are More to worry about !
              Not everyone has a watts valve. I have had one for 5 years,still in the box! HE HE. Know a Guy had a WASHLET ,THAT LONG !!!
              With your logic as long as there is a greater risk its ok to ignore a lessor risk. ALL floods are somthing to worry about and all risks should be minimized. So do you have a reasonable solution besides a floor drain and breaking up a few yrds of concrete to install one?

Comment

the automatic watts or burstbuster will electronically shut off the incoming cold water to the heater if the sensor is exposed to water.

of course there will always be some residual water, but not a continuous full pressure flow.

the burstbuster works good and has an output to wire into a central alarm system if you want to.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Similar. Or maybe the same as the BurstBuster. Can't recommend to use a WAGS valve.

http://www.getfloodstop.com/

J.C.

Comment

Do you worry about supply lines or ballcocks
                    Some things are out of are control

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                      Do you worry about supply lines or ballcocks
                      Some things are out of are control
                      They are typically not made of steel. Thermal expansion tanks are.

Comment

Never had an expansion tank reupture, the steel at least the bladders have always gone first. Where I am we have a lot of hot water boilers with expansion tanks and I have seen many very old ones even before they had bladders still working fine and not leaking

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                          Never had an expansion tank reupture, the steel at least the bladders have always gone first. Where I am we have a lot of hot water boilers with expansion tanks and I have seen many very old ones even before they had bladders still working fine and not leaking
                          Have you ever found a home with a tank and the bladder had ruptured but they had no idea?

Comment

Have you ever found a home with a tank and the bladder had ruptured but they had no idea?
                            absolutely but how long would it take for the steel to fail vs relief valves.... errr relieving

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              absolutely but how long would it take for the steel to fail vs relief valves.... errr relieving
                              If the house is active no thermal expansion will occur...most of the time. It most likley would happen the most while everyone was asleep and no water being used...but the ice maker coming on can also relieve pressure...or a dripping faucet....or toilet or anything leaking.
                              A temp and pressure relief valve is not a reliable device for thermal expansion control. I have done reading were the pressure was over 225# and the relief valve did not dump.....install a new valve and it went to 190psi before it started to drissle.

Ok relief valves dumping that extra water may go un-noticed. Or just plain ignored. This can cause a build of mineral deposits in the relief line restricting it.
                              Last edited by TheMaster; 09-01-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X