B venting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B venting

I live in Oklahoma and am going to be servicing a 40 gallon water heater tomorrow. Well replacing it. Right now it has 4inch single wall ran over bout three feet to the heating unit and taps into a 4x5 singlewall tee. On top if that tee is double wall. Since I have to raise the water heater I am going to have to raise the tee as well. Of course 4inch is to big but can I run three inch singlewall over to the new t and it be legal? Thanks for the input!

Re: B venting

No, The vent (all) will need to be upgraded to B-vent since you are modifying the existing system.

Yes it is more work but it is the right thing...

Comment

Won't be more work. Will be less actually since double wall is pre cut and I don't have to break out my nifty little crimpers.

You answered the question but not clearly and we are sitting here with the gas code book now. You said it was the "right" thing to do. While it is the "better" thing to do is it code that it HAS to be double wall pipe over to where it ties into the 5inch?

Comment

Don't know about Oklahoma. Here in AR. you can use single wall to within 6" of a combustible surface.

I hate using B vent all the way to the appliance. Try removing a 4' joint that runs into the attic space thats been screwed together to the next joint to get access to an evaporator coil. Major PITA!!

Then try to get it back together.

James

Comment

Which codes are we talking about James / Spoonleg

Oklahoma is using 2006 International Code series...

Spoonleg, the situation could be different based on the type of install as well... Residential could fall under the 2006 International residential codes which can be different from the Fuel gas code / mechanical codes...

I always try to get rid of as much single wall as possible

Comment

Working...
          X