Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amex?

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    Seems crazy to purchase something more expensive on the card to get air miles or cash back, it is always in the 1-2% range in actual value (what they can get from the fees). There could be other reasons to take a high bid (accepting any credit card if you don't have the money could make sense); but just for "miles" or whatever seems like a really really poor financial decision to me.

Also, in relation to the original question. If someone says they don't take Discover (my preferred card w/ 1% cash back), I've got a Visa (with 1% cash back) right behind it, and an AMEX with some pitiful amount of cash back behind that.
    Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post, the air miles comment and the story about the car wash guy were separate thoughts. The car wash owner paid with his AMEX because he didn't have the money. Other 2 guys took only visa and MC, and he only had AMEX. Point of that story was that we got the job because we were the only ones accepting AMEX
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Also we accept Interac/debit. it s a wireless terminal
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

chase bank is doing free iphone checking deposits. basically download their app and then take an iphone photo front and back of the check. zap it to them and it's automatically deposited.

the other option is $50. a month and they give you a bank scanner terminal that will connect to your computer and scan up to 150 checks at a time for direct deposit. 2 year contract required. sounds interesting.

i don't take credit cards

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

In the news.

Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc. reached a settlement with the U.S. Justice Department to resolve a two- year probe over restrictions on merchants, while American Express Co. vowed to fight a government antitrust lawsuit.

“We want to put money in consumers’ pockets,” said Attorney General Eric Holder at a press conference today. “By eliminating credit-card companies’ anticompetitive rules, we will accomplish that.”

The settlements, which are subject to a federal judge’s approval, were filed in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, New York, after the Justice Department sued the three credit-card networks.

Restraints on retailers by the payment networks “impose a competitive straightjacket on merchants, restricting decisions by them to offer discounts, benefits and choices to customers that many merchants would otherwise be free to offer,” the Justice Department said in the lawsuit.

The settlement is designed by the department to give merchants more freedom to influence customers on what form of payment they choose, letting retailers offer discounts, rebates or enhanced services depending on what card customers use. That practice had been prohibited by contracts offered by the credit- card networks.

No Monetary Obligation

Visa said in a statement the networks won’t be required to make any payments as part of the settlement.

Assistant Attorney General Christine Varney, head of the Justice Department’s antitrust division, said the case won’t be over as long as American Express doesn’t comply with the new rules.

“American Express’s rules are the most restrictive,” she said, standing alongside Holder. They “restrain trade unnecessarily.”

“We have no intention of settling the case,” American Express Chief Executive Officer Kenneth I. Chenault said in a statement. “We will defend the rights of our card members at the point of sale and our own ability to negotiate freely with merchants.”

American Express spokesman Michael O’Neill said in an interview that the company is hiring attorney David Boies to handle its defense against the lawsuit. The company said it will hold a news conference at 4:15 p.m. New York time.

Retail Groups

Retail groups welcomed news of the settlement with Visa and Mastercard. “Merchants, small and large, welcome today’s news,” said John Emling, senior vice president of government affairs for the Retail Industry Leaders Association in an e- mailed statement today. “Credit and debit networks operate within a broken market where a few dominant firms set fees and dictate terms with impunity.”

American Express, in vowing to fight the lawsuit, called it “a significant retreat” from previous Justice Department efforts to promote competition in the payments industry.

American Express fell $2.63, or 6.3 percent, at 3:02 p.m., the most since Jan. 22, in New York Stock Exchange composite trading and was the day’s worst performer in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. MasterCard dropped $1.78, or 0.8 percent after falling as low as 2.6 percent earlier, and Visa rose 22 cents, or 0.3 percent, after declining as much as 1 percent.

To contact the reporters on this story: Sara Forden in Washington at sforden@bloomberg.net; Peter Eichenbaum in New York at peichenbaum@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Larry Liebert in Washington at lliebert@bloomberg.net; Alec McCabe in New York at amccabe@bloomberg.net

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Do you take AMEX?

Thanks.

J.C.
            I use Intuit merchant services. They accept pretty much all CC sources as near as I can tell. It costs me $10/month for the service and the fee is 1.76% if I use the card swiper I bought. (Add ~ 1% if it's manually entered).

I don't use it often though. I have a customer who wants to pay a $3k invoice using a VISA. Fine with me as long as they pay the 1.76%.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              chase bank is doing free iphone checking deposits. basically download their app and then take an iphone photo front and back of the check. zap it to them and it's automatically deposited.

the other option is $50. a month and they give you a bank scanner terminal that will connect to your computer and scan up to 150 checks at a time for direct deposit. 2 year contract required. sounds interesting.

i don't take credit cards

rick.
              i don't take credit cards"

Is that a good thing?
              You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Working...
              X